Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 161,091 times

Advertisements

My dad was stationed there in late 80's. I would go visit him and stay the some summers up there time to time. What happend after it closed down. What did they do with base housing and all the other facilitys?? I live in lafayette (1 hour away) and its a shame that I never took a few hours to go see how it looks now. But I do plan on going someday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM

5,033 posts, read 4,339,199 times
England AFB is now Alexandria International Airport. (I think it's "international" because it serves Fort Polk.) The area leading to the airport is attractive with alot of landscaping and a golf course. The airport has a nice new terminal built a couple of years ago. Union Tank Car built a plant nearby. I think that many of the former dorms are supposed to be torn down if they haven't done so already. The bowling alley, Tiger Lanes, is still open. One of the neighborhoods is now a retirement community called England Oaks.

Old 07-12-2009, 02:57 PM

81 posts, read 294,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
England AFB is now Alexandria International Airport. (I think it's "international" because it serves Fort Polk.) The area leading to the airport is attractive with alot of landscaping and a golf course. The airport has a nice new terminal built a couple of years ago. Union Tank Car built a plant nearby. I think that many of the former dorms are supposed to be torn down if they haven't done so already. The bowling alley, Tiger Lanes, is still open. One of the neighborhoods is now a retirement community called England Oaks.
Thanks for clarifying that, I always wondered why it had "international" in the name. Though you must admit, it makes it sound REALLY nice. The updates they've done to it ARE nice, though.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 161,091 times
Quote:
So it just serves Ft. Polk?? Can you get a flight out of Alexandria anywhere??

Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel et Intelligent View Post
So it just serves Ft. Polk?? Can you get a flight out of Alexandria anywhere??
Commercial flights out of Alexandria go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Memphis.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,404,192 times
Quote:
Commercial flights out of Alexandria go to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Memphis.
What airlines service the airport?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
What airlines service the airport?
Continental with Houston, American Eagle with Dallas, Delta with Atlanta, and Northwest with Memphis.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,836 times
Wasn't there a plan several years ago to turn all the base housing into low income apartments?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfield_relocator View Post
Wasn't there a plan several years ago to turn all the base housing into low income apartments?
Yes, I think there was a plan to do that several years ago, but it was rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana