Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,342,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
voodoo is a carribean thing. Its mostly done on tropical island areas and transferred to New Orleans through immigration. As for the alligator thing, people here do eat them and I am one of them. However we dont wrestle them or anything. There are alligator farms to raise them for meat or skins.
Hey!.... Okay, you're right. Voodoo is actually a religion from Africa that deals with using fetishes or objects to worship. I suppose some people in the caribbean still practice voodoo, but it's more than just putting "hexes" on people or doing bad "juju" It's the religion of our ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_planet View Post
'Excerpt From Why Are Southerners So Fat?
By Claire Suddath Time Magazine

'People from Mississippi are fat. With an adult obesity rate of 33%, Mississippi has gobbled its way to the "chubbiest state" crown for the fifth year in a row, according to a new joint report by Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee aren't far behind, with obesity rates over 30%. In fact, eight of the 10 fattest states are in the South. The region famous for its biscuits, barbecue and pecan pies has been struggling with its weight for years — but then again, so has the rest of the country. Wisconsin loves cheese, New Yorkers scarf pizza, and New Englanders have been known to enjoy a crab cake or two. So why is the South so portly?

For one thing, it's poor. Mississippi is not only the fattest state in the nation, but also the poorest, with 21% of its residents living below the poverty line, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Alabama and West Virginia, the second and third fattest states, are tied for fifth poorest. With a poverty rate of 14%, the South is easily the most impoverished region in the country.''
So many are below poverty level because no one knows anything about birth control down here! my god, if you can't support yourself, and live with your parents in an old single wide, don't have 8 babies! If you are below poverty level yourself, don't make more babies who also get to be poor along with you!
I have never in my life seen so many really old single wides!! Birth control , and some decent affordable/subsidised housing and sidewalks would go a long way around here! Can't walk anywhere because the roads all just drop off into ditches.. no shoulders. besides.. it's too hot!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,495 times
Oh and being from Washington State.. I know that people from CA are just plain crazy..lol
California is it's own little world.

Bobby Jindal is the best thing to happen here in a long time.

If someone said, on national television, that they were going to turn a city "vanilla" what would happen?

Louisiana does have a lot of history and culture. I really enjoy learning about it. And I love college

football, so where else could I go?

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,572,536 times
Louisiana is split so many ways that you can't simply talk bad about the state as a whole - it's like Florida in that particular regard. Yeah, some places frankly suck, depending on your idea of what's "sucky". A good way around that one is to not worry about the state as a whole as to worry about individual neighborhoods (WELL below the sub-parish levels, especially for urban areas).

The direct answer to the quesiton: IMO, it's the perennial lack of adequate job opportunities. I promise you that if there were at least enough opportunities, there wouldn't be as many complaints about Louisiana. As one former Louisianian said "it's a rich culture, but you'll be poor if you live here" (unless you are lucky enough to find plenty of economic opportunities, that is).

Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM

806 posts, read 2,952,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post

The direct answer to the quesiton: IMO, it's the perennial lack of adequate job opportunities. I promise you that if there were at least enough opportunities, there wouldn't be as many complaints about Louisiana. As one former Louisianian said "it's a rich culture, but you'll be poor if you live here" (unless you are lucky enough to find plenty of economic opportunities, that is).
Louisiana has plenty of economic opportunities! Maybe not as many as Dallas though, but plenty to go around.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
I moved from Baton Rouge,Louisiana to Denham Springs,Louisiana because of the crimes being commited and cops always harrassing innocent people like myself.I rode a bicycle out there.I couldn't park a bike in front of a store without it getting stolen.There was too much prostitution,homosexuality,theft and racism.A black man threatened me with a knife when i was living with one of my friends,I called 911 and only one police officer came to our house and harrassed me.He was a white man threatened that he would put me in jail for making a fake 911 call.I was being threatened with a kitchen knife; isn't that a emergency?!!

Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM

419 posts, read 1,917,756 times
I was born in Louisiana and very proud of it. Although I don't live there now, I still have several relatives in the state that do. This state is unlike any other and although the demographics have changed a lot since I lived there it still doesn't change the fact that I still call it home. I have many family members buried there and I too will find my final resting place there as well.

Just to throw out some humor regarding the state, I would like to quote a native born and once well know celebrity chef ... Justin Wilson. And for all of you that think folks there can't spell, well pronounce this...! P-H-I-D-E-A-U-X. For all of you that can't spell that was the name of Justin Wilson's dog. In yankee English that's spelled Fido.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,036,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoydS View Post
I was born in Louisiana and very proud of it. Although I don't live there now, I still have several relatives in the state that do. This state is unlike any other and although the demographics have changed a lot since I lived there it still doesn't change the fact that I still call it home. I have many family members buried there and I too will find my final resting place there as well.

Just to throw out some humor regarding the state, I would like to quote a native born and once well know celebrity chef ... Justin Wilson. And for all of you that think folks there can't spell, well pronounce this...! P-H-I-D-E-A-U-X. For all of you that can't spell that was the name of Justin Wilson's dog. In yankee English that's spelled Fido.

Chere

busta

Old 09-15-2009, 12:20 PM

767 posts, read 2,060,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaniard View Post
I have been doing some research in many forums (including city-data where a guy had to decide between houston and Dallas and one of the bad points was the proximity to louisiana) looking for trips to do from Houston and stuff like that why is that?

Cheers

People is (sic) talking bad about Louisiana because apparently, they don't teach grammar in the schools there.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,481,535 times
They do teach grammer, but for some reason, people forget what they learned. It is not a Louisiana thing!!! One girl I knew from Florida could not spell worth a darn! She had just graduated High School and I found 20 errors in her letter-pathetic! I know many kids in school that have great grammer skills, but they are in private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana