Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 9,158 times

Advertisements

My son was diagnosed with Autism last month, he is very intelligent just got social issues. He at a school now that he has been attending for awhile, now I'm trying to find a different school in N.O.LA. I'm not from here and he hasn't recieved an IEP yet; I check online for this school called Chartwell have anyone heard of it? If so can you give me some feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 10:30 PM

3 posts, read 46,327 times
Default best school 4 autistic children

I am a researcher who is interested in autism. I have been trying to find out about any programs for autistic children in Louisiana but have not been successful yet. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Amy

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 9,114 times
I have been trying to help my 14 year old with a school that could help. We live in Louisiana, right outside Baton Rouge, and he is falling more and more behind because he needs the proper help. He has been diagnosed as ADHD but I am not quite sure that is his only problem. I need to know where I can get him retested to get the proper help. He has been through the IEP Program and they keep saying that he doesn't qualify. I know he is as frustrated as I am and I don't want him to quit and give up. I am right now looking for a school for him other than where he is. He has fallen behind at least 3 years. I need a school willing to help him catch up and complete his school years.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 46,327 times
I am astonished that my query regarding schools for children with Autism in Louisiana is still floundering so! It looks like a gap to me.

Ecole Classique, in Metairie may have support for your child. I know that isn't much help if you live outside Baton Rouge but perhaps they can help you find a school closer to your home.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,834 times
I am also looking for a school for my son with autism. He is 8

Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 PM

19 posts, read 119,380 times
I live in the West Monroe area and they have a place called The Autism Learning Center in Monroe.
The Autism Learning Center . My children also go to a special education preschool in West Monroe and I know there are quite a few children there with autism. There is also a great therapist in West Monroe that does a lot of work with autistic children. My sister in law's little brother is autistic and used her and is now doing fantastic.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,538 times
My son is 7 y/o and has been at Walter Scheckenburger Elementary School in Kenner, LA (just outside N.O.) since he was 3 w/o. He has done exceptionally well there!

As he get's older though, I am considering private education through the Archdiocese of New Orleans or a small private school. Faith Lutheran has a couple of midly autistic childred in their classes but they only go to 8th grade. The big school environment scares the hell out of me.

If you have young ones, get into the early steps program through the state's family services. They take care of it all. My son had a speech therapist and special instructer who came into the home.

If you have an older child, see a child psychiartrist who can help you with what they need in a school environment, which may entitle them to an aid that follows them around all day. Read your rights as parents! Your local school board has a booklet detailing everything your child has a right to through the public school system. and FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT

Old 01-12-2010, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,478 times
Check into Beacon Prep. The school is new (2009 -2010) in Robert LA, near Hammond. Here are two links to help with information about the school:

Channel 4 video http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/65658532.html

Beacon Web Site http://www.beaconprep.com/

We had our son at Ecole, but had to pull him out at mid year. The students badgered and beat him when outside of the special needs classes. The headmaster was abysmally useless. He is now at Beacon and is thriving

Last edited by johnemac; 01-12-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 16,341 times
Please contact me. My son is newly diagnosed with Autism. We live in Shreveport. Just joined and not sure how to do this yet.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,341 times
Default New Dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvazqu View Post
I'm not sure where you live, but I teach students with autism in Caddo Parish (Shreveport). Our parish has classes specifically designed to meet the needs of students with autism (both high-functioning and low-functioning classes available throughout several schools in the parish). The classrooms are aligned with and modeled after TEACCH methodology and are really fantastic environments for students with autism. If you are in this area, definitely give Special Services a call. Actually, investigating your options via your parish (whichever that may be) school board is a good idea so that you can get a handle on what is available in your area.
I have been teaching elementary students with autism (exclusively) for the past seven years. We'll be moving to Opelousas after this school year, and I hope they have similar classrooms there.
Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
I have no idea how to navigate here, but would love to talk to you further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana