U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 PM

51 posts, read 86,927 times

Advertisements

We will probably be moving to this area and I am DEATHLY scared of them. Do you guys get them there and how often? Why don't homes there have basements to take shelter in?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,933,482 times
I don't live there but, yes, tornadoes are a possibility anywhere in Louisiana, including Ruston and Monroe/W. Monroe. Flooding is a greater danger.

Houses don't typically have basements in Louisiana (or anywhere in the south) because of cultural reasons and because they'd tend to fill up with water. In most of Louisiana, the watertable is just under the surface, though that's less so in Ruston, which is on top of a slight bump of solid rock. It's about the only part of Lousiana which isn't mush.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 AM

20 posts, read 55,355 times
I grew up in West Monroe, and I think I remember 2 tornados in my 18 years of living there. Then I moved to Ruston for 4 yrs for college and I don't remember any there during that time. There may have been more but I don't recall any. So of course there is a possibility but they are rare.

Basements aren't really necessary or feasible as the poster before me mentioned. Especially when you head further south, can't even bury people underground in some places in south LA.

Ok, I'm a nerd, and I just researched this. Since 1950, there have been 5 tornados in West Monroe - 3 F1's, 1 F0, and 1 F2. Last one was in 1996 (F1), before that there was an F0 in '95, an F1 in '74, an F1 in '65, and an F2 in '54. There have been 3 in Ruston - 2 F1's and 1 F2. Last one was in 1999 (F1), before that '77 (F1) and '65 (F2). There were no fatalities in any of these. So as I said, possible but pretty rare in both places.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,619,491 times
Anywhere in Louisiana tornadic activity is a possibility, but during my lifetime (a pretty long time) I don't recall hearing about a tornado wiping a place around here off the face of the earth like some of those that you hear about in the Mid-West (Greensburg, etc.) However, that isn't to say they cannot cause substantial damage or cause a few fatalities. You wanna make sure you have a well-built house and a disaster plan.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM

19 posts, read 71,625 times
I have lived in this area all of my life (35 years) and have never personally seen one. I know we have had warnings and maybe a few touchdowns but I have never experienced the devastation of one nor do I know of anyone personally that has either. I would not make that the only reason for not moving to this area because it could happen anywhere in the state.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 6,628 times
Default tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michchix View Post
We will probably be moving to this area and I am DEATHLY scared of them. Do you guys get them there and how often? Why don't homes there have basements to take shelter in?!
we generally get warnings and rain and maybe a little wind bu they generally pass, even though we are in tornado alley

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 6,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michchix View Post
This is swamp area it would problay collape on us. The weather is not that bad and Louisiana is below sea level except one point I think out side of Ruston.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM

1,734 posts, read 3,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewanda View Post
This is swamp area it would problay collape on us. The weather is not that bad and Louisiana is below sea level except one point I think out side of Ruston.
Please! Nobody listen to this dilusional poster.

There are only two places I know of in Louisiana that are below sea level. About 50% of New Orleans and parts of East Jefferson are below sea level. I believe there are also some portions of Morgan City that are slightly below sea level.

Plus Louisiana has more prairie and pine forests than swamps.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM

42 posts, read 65,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewanda View Post

My mind just shut down!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,670,716 times
tornadoes actually occur often in Louisiana, but a lot of it happens down here near the gulf where the air is moist and unstable. Tornadoes near northern Louisiana are a bit stronger but still nowhere near as devastating as the ones in the open plains. I wouldnt concern myself with tornadoes too much if I lived in northern Louisiana. Just be wary when the occasional one is sighted as always. There is no state free of them, so they are pretty much a way of life for most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana