Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
I've been to Natchitoches. You have got to be kidding me.

There are far better places in this region. Seriously.
Seriously? That's all your going to say? Sounded like you were leading up to something great but then you were just at a loss for words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:08 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Sure, there's better places to live ...better than Natchitoches...better than Shreveport or Bossier or New Orleans or Lafayette... there's always going to be better. But if I were looking for some place small yet not in South La. and not too far away from a bigger city, I would consider Natchitoches.

It is a small college town with historic charm. It's far from perfect but like I said...if I were looking for a smaller town atmosphere that has some quaint acoutrements...then Natchitoches is worth a looksie. Historic Natchitoches

Minden is an exhurb of Shreveport-Bossier and it's a small-town with a nice main street, decent medical center ( got a high national rating ) and isn't too far a drive from S'port-Bossier for bigger city visits. But it's small and unless you have a biz there, you'll probably drive to S'port-Bossier for work. http://www.2chambers.com/minden,_louisiana1.htm

Personally, I would tell anyone planning on relocating to Louisiana to come here with an understanding that this state has its share of problems..... and I will be the first to explain that there are places that may be better candidates to look at first. Like some parts of Texas.... there's more opportunity for higher-paying jobs in Texas than in Louisiana. Sorry... it's true. Most younger people with degrees don't stay in Louisiana because they can earn more elsewhere. If I were a younger person looking for pockets of opportunity.... I'd check out the DFW area first. Sure...bigger city, more city hassles but better jobs with multi-national corporations which means better advancement opportunities...more upward mobility....better infrastructure....better police & fire protection...better housing choices...better nightlife...social life...yada yada..

But on the other hand, if porch-swing lifestyle is what you're looking for, then check out Natchitoches. I think the town got a high rating for retirees in Southern Living or one of the other national lifestyle magazines.

Last edited by BeenThereDunThat; 02-09-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 07:25 AM

8 posts, read 37,854 times
YES!!! a GOOD RESPONCE!....THANKU for taking the time out to explain. YES, im sure there would be better places to live then LA...and if i was looking for more opportunity i would stay right here in the BIG APPLE! i live in the "city of opportunity"!!...NYC can offer me a better paying job then any southern state will BUT thats not what i want.
NOT knocking BIG time corporations or city....just saying.

i would not mind commuting to work ...as long as it was no more then an hour, so MINDEN is a place i will have to check out. THANKS!

the "porch-swing" is exactly the name id give my life if i could name it....and quick question, u said "college town" ....but also high ratings for "retirees". all though I do enjoy a more quite setting, I do not want to be surrounded by all the retirees. I would like to be in a town where the age group is mixed and i wont be the only lady in my twenties. HAHA.

thankYou so much for the feedback, im gonna go hunt up some info on minden!!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,719 times
Am in LA now, there are no jobs here for your major. Sorry to say this. You need to go where the crime is, and it's not in smaller towns--where your grandpa had to have known someone else's grandpa to get work.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:19 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
dkeane11: Natchitoches is about 1hr South from Shreveport-Bossier (Bigger Cities) on I-49. While it is a smaller college town with a number of retirees....there's a good mix. But recall what I've posted previously....younger people tend to leave NW La. is search of better job opportunities, especially those with college degrees.

You may want to check out Shreveport-Bossier as these are larger cities with more opportunities but they are what you would call "Big-Little-Cities"..... 300,000 population combined approx but still are like smaller cluster suburbs around a metro setting.

Just a thought

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
I think you should visit the area before you make that decision. I dislike the show "True Blood", but love the books. I think they portray Sookie stackhouse as EXTREMELY stupid and naive in the HBO version. It deviates too much from the book for my taste, but I suppose that is to make it popular on night time television. Also, I have only heard accents that thick in Alabama.

I personally would never choose to live in Natchitoches, but that is just me. Also, keep in mind, Louisiana is different depending on the area. Mid La. (think Lafayette, Breaux Bridge area) is "cajun country". The northern and western areas of Louisiana are more that "southern" style (close to Texas and Arkansas). New Orleans is an area all it's own. Fun to visit, but not to live (IMO). Actually, I haven't been to New Orleans since the weekend Katrina hit. Even the accents are different. Also, I have read several posts that people are tolerant in Louisiana. Really?!?!?!? I grew up there and I can promise you I have heard the "N" word more than I care to admit. Things must have changed in the past few years that I've been gone.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although the living may be cheap...the pay is not too good. Unless you are in the oil or medical field. Other than that, Louisiana is a bit behind other states in salary ranges.

Still, it will be something new for you. New is usually exciting.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Fun to visit, but not to live (IMO).
Funny part about that is--Baton Rouge is consistently rated as one of the happiest cities in the country. Look it up.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 PM

108 posts, read 270,646 times
"New Orleans is an area all it's own. Fun to visit, but not to live (IMO)"

I wasn't talking about Baton Rouge.

As far as statistics go, Lafayette is also in the top 25 best cities to live in to find employment. Really?? I take things like that with a grain of salt.

Thats one thing I have to give Louisiana folks.....you guys are loyal to your state...well some of us are. I can't say the same for myself.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 AM

8 posts, read 37,854 times
marriedwithcat: thankss so much but ive actually looked up quite a few jobs in shreveport ...transporting and such. there is a site www.usajobs.gov/.....

that gave me some help. also my school is pretty good at linking us with local job opportunity offices in whatever area of the country we ae looking to live in. John Jay offers so many options for in and out of state jobs its not even fair to other guys looking -_-.

mrs.carly; thanks also ...if this was about true blood we could talk all day hahah. ive read 7 of the books...and i dont think the show makes her out to be naive. I think they made her out to be different, that you are right about. In the book she is NOT this "sweet southern girl" ....shes kind of a "LOOSEY goosey", hooking up with numrous men throughout the series...i think the show did exactly what it should have to make it a successful "sexy HBO" phenomenon......sorry to tell you but its the 3rd most watched show on late nite television ...sopranos (which is not even on anymore) is one of the ones in front of it....HBO has made millions and athough different from the book ...still AMAZING. The show never promised to be anything like the book...if we all knew what was happening what would be the point of watching???
BUT thats neither here nor there. you seem to be happy that you left LA and maybe thats because u grew up there...but like you said, it will be new for me so i am really looking foward to it.
...also ...i LIVE in NYC .where the N word is used frequently, welcome to america! im sure it wont be the worst of my problems. My mother says "if you're from the bronx, you can live anywhere, and i mean ANYWHERE" .....there is a downside to every place but i believe if you LOVE someplace enough, the good should outway the bad. i LIKE loyal folk....
i wouldnt let anyone down talk nyc, even though im leaving. HOME is HOME!!

thanku so much for the responce...they are all so helpful in my search

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
"New Orleans is an area all it's own. Fun to visit, but not to live (IMO)"

I wasn't talking about Baton Rouge.
Hey everybody...we actually have an outsider here that does NOT consider Baton Rouge a suburb of New Orleans.

Rep point for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana