Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,126 times

Advertisements

I am from Pittsburg, PA so I am from the city. I am transferring to Louisiana for several reasons that I wont get in to. However, a little word of help would be nice. I like the city life, driving distance to a city will work though. Places for college student to work at of course (mall, aquariums, etc). An of course school credibility. The colleges I am interested in and would like 1st hand info if you could help are: Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Lafayette, Nicholls State, and South Eastern. Any input or advice would be great, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,596 times
I am of course biased but i think Lafayette would be the easiest to adapt to for someone from the urban north. Medium sized city and more "progressive" than north or SE Louisiana i think.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,126 times
I am falling to SELU because of it's location to NO and BR. Seems like a good place to have class through the week and go out for the weekend.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:39 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,451,430 times
SELU and ULL would be the easiest to adapt to if coming from a city. You have Lafeyette and proximity to Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Nicholls is somewhat close to N.O.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,432,529 times
From Lafayette; Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Houston are within easy driving distance.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 PM

560 posts, read 1,710,523 times
I've spent a fair amount of time in western PA and Louisiana, but I am not from either, so I speak without being biased. Louisiana Lafayette is a BEAUTIFUL campus! It has a lot of southern charm. I wanted to go there so badly after high school, but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I would take a real close look at UL Lafayette if I were you. It's in a nice city and Baton Rouge is a short drive. It wasn't on your list, but Lake Charles is a nice place too. You might want to take a look at McNeese State. Lake Charles is about an hour closer to Houston than Lafayette.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

108 posts, read 269,793 times
I went to UL Lafayette so I suppose I am very biased. I think, ULL is the best choice of the 4. The night life in Louisiana is much better than most of the other areas. Can you visit the campuses and make your decision based on that?

It is a decent sized school...big without being TOO big. I received my undergrad degree from ULL in Lafayette and went to grad school at UT in Austin. HUGE difference! Lafayette is a pretty friendly town with plenty to do and the cajun culture is fun to experience. Good luck with your choice.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,670,322 times
I like ULL and SELU. If you plan on living on campus I would definitely steer you towards SELU. I know for a fact at SELU you can rent your books, but I'm not sure about ULL.

Lafayette is bigger, though, and has a much better party scene. Living in Hammond, you have to drive to get to the clubs in the larger cities.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 PM

128 posts, read 297,340 times
Default why those schools?

I don't know much about them, but I have heard good things about UL Lafayette and it's a nice town. Monroe seems like a boring town when I drive through it, at least for college aged... Never even heard of Nicholls...How about Loyola in New Orleans?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,670,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
I don't know much about them, but I have heard good things about UL Lafayette and it's a nice town. Monroe seems like a boring town when I drive through it, at least for college aged... Never even heard of Nicholls...How about Loyola in New Orleans?
Much more $$ to go to Loyola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana