Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
College baseball rules the day though .
Looking at college baseball attendance figures for 2009, Louisiana had three schools represented in the top 30.

1. LSU - 9,611 average! (Arkansas is a distant second with 7,906)
18. Tulane - 2,938
30. LA-Lafayette - 2,105

That's almost 15,000 average for just these three schools!

Then add in (I don't have attendance figures):

SLU (currently ranked 23rd in the nation)
ULM
La Tech
McNeese
UNO
Northwestern St.
Nicholls St.
Centenary
Grambling
Southern
LA College
Loyola
LSUS
Delgado

Did I miss anyone?

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...attendance.pdf

Last edited by JimLFT; 04-18-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:17 PM

128 posts, read 298,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
SOME support for the LSU team ? Are you kidding ? They have one of the best College ballparks in the nation . LSU has led the nation in attendance for 14 straight years AND has put over 10,000 fans in the seats for a SINGLE GAME many times . In contrast , the average attendance for the New Orleans Zephyrs is a little over 5,200 .
" Some support " , yeah . Right .
OK, I live in NOLA, not Baton Rouge so maybe I'm out of the loop a little. It's pretty strange that a town of about 700,000 in the metro area doesn't even have a minor league team though. I really don't think baseball is that popular in Louisiana, but people definitely have team spirit at LSU. I never hear people talking about baseball -- if they're talking sports it's football. Again though, not from Baton Rouge and haven't been to an LSU game, I'm sure it's fun.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanburen81 View Post
I really don't think baseball is that popular in Louisiana...
Again, we've all acknowledged that Pro baseball hasn't exactly made much of a footprint in Louisiana, but at the college level, it is huge. Not sure why Baton Rouge hasn't homed a minor-league team, but perhaps investors looking to potentially put one together in BR felt that any venture would be overshadowed by support for LSU.

And they would likely be correct. LSU baseball outdraws many, if not most, minor-league teams across the country.

I have yet to see a game at the new Alex Box, but you are right in thinking that it must be fun. No other venue beats it from what I've heard...

And THIS coming from a rabid Ragin Cajun fan from Lafayette...

Kudos to LSU for setting the bar in college baseball!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Again, we've all acknowledged that Pro baseball hasn't exactly made much of a footprint in Louisiana, but at the college level, it is huge. Not sure why Baton Rouge hasn't homed a minor-league team, but perhaps investors looking to potentially put one together in BR felt that any venture would be overshadowed by support for LSU.
I think that is probably the case . Go to an LSU football or baseball game and you will feel the energy . Many of the fans have some kind of attachment to the University , which makes it more special for them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana