Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:25 PM

7 posts, read 11,542 times

Advertisements

Hello! First of all this website is a great resource, I move around a lot for work and utilize this site constantly. My question is, I am moving from Oregon to Louisiana (shreveport) and my wife and I are not sure what to expect regarding the weather in the summer. Basically, we know it is really really hot in the summer, but for how long? Basically, my root questions are, How many months out of the year am I never going to want to go outside and am going to sweat walking into work? Is it reasonable to bring along a car without air conditioning? Or is that just not possible? I would bring it if it was only 2-3 months where the heat makes it impossible to drive w/o AC...any thoughts, thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:16 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebith75 View Post
Hello! First of all this website is a great resource, I move around a lot for work and utilize this site constantly. My question is, I am moving from Oregon to Louisiana (shreveport) and my wife and I are not sure what to expect regarding the weather in the summer. Basically, we know it is really really hot in the summer, but for how long? Basically, my root questions are, How many months out of the year am I never going to want to go outside and am going to sweat walking into work? Is it reasonable to bring along a car without air conditioning? Or is that just not possible? I would bring it if it was only 2-3 months where the heat makes it impossible to drive w/o AC...any thoughts, thanks!!
I don't live in Shreveport. I live much further south than Shreveport. It is possible to drive without AC under certain conditions. Will the vehicle always be parked in a shaded area? Will it be driven for no more than 20 to 30 minutes per trip and not in stop and go traffic? It's best to have AC in your car because of the humidity. I've talked with transplants from other areas who comment that though the temperature is just as hot as where they're from, it feels hotter here because of the humidity. Having an AC in the car will help to remove the humidity from inside the car. Shreveport in the winter sometimes gets snow on the ground, though probably no where near the amount you get where you're from. If a hurricane passes through Louisiana, you won't be in danger from it's winds. It's the rains you'll experience. If the hurricane hits to the east of your location, you're pretty much in the clear. If the hurricane hits to the west of your location, you'll get plenty of rain. South of Shreveport is plenty of wooded state parks with plenty of fishing and trails for bicycles or hiking. From Shreveport, Dallas, TX and Hot Springs, AR are within easy driving distance.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 11,542 times
When would you say it starts to get extremely hot and humid, and when does it stop? (June through august? May through September?) Thanks for all of the info!!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
Late June to mid August is generally the hottest time. Last year was an anomaly and it was really hot from May till August, but thats not really normal.
Most of the year its actually a rather ideal 60-80 degrees F. It does rain a lot. I think the second most rainy region in the Us behind FLorida/Washington
The winter is quite mild and you can swim about 3/4 of the year. In fact, right now its 79 F outside and clear.
Its actually pretty nice all year except the summer, and for those 2-3 months, you are surrounded by ACs blasting everywhere, so its tolerable.
As for having a car without AC, as long as the seats arent sticky vinyl or leather you wont be unbearably hot. Ive run my truck without AC in the summer because it was overheating and I survived ok.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,344 times
roflmao.

suck it up.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
From Oregon to Shreveport? What the hell possesed you to make that move? You are going to be miserable. Trust me, if you are expecting breezy warm weather, it's going to be a slap in the face.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:29 PM

108 posts, read 270,617 times
Hmm...I don't think you realize what "hot" means in Louisiana. Heat in Louisiana is not like heat in other parts of the world. There is nothing DRY about this heat.....I compare it to being in a sauna. Would others agree?

Hmm...I probably wouldn't bring along the car without AC.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Carly View Post
Hmm...I don't think you realize what "hot" means in Louisiana. Heat in Louisiana is not like heat in other parts of the world. There is nothing DRY about this heat.....I compare it to being in a sauna. Would others agree?

Hmm...I probably wouldn't bring along the car without AC.
LMAO, who are you telling? I live in Southwest Louisiana, it's very humid down here. I'm in the calcasieu parish, in LC, which is linked to the gulf via Cameron. Summers here are miserable.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM

432 posts, read 1,085,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
LMAO, who are you telling? I live in Southwest Louisiana, it's very humid down here. I'm in the calcasieu parish, in LC, which is linked to the gulf via Cameron. Summers here are miserable.
This is one of the few areas in the US where your vehicle's AC is actually more important than it's transmission...

We have brutal summers here.

And Mrs. Carly, a sauna is a very appropriate adjective...

Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 PM

245 posts, read 455,310 times
It's doable. Us jeep drivers do it all the time! Actually, many cars without A/C still have the vent feature that will help you get some outside air in. It won't 'cool' you down, but the moving air will help. Also, you'll learn about what southerners call the "2-55 A/C system"; two windows down while going 55 mph. And if you have a four door, you'll be lucky enough to get to experience that fancy upgraded "4-55 system".

Make sure you keep some cool-looking cheap sunglasses in your car for when you're stuck in traffic. You'll be miserable, but if you put on the sunglasses and smile, you can make it look like you're just enjoying the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana