Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,902,471 times

Advertisements

MarketWatch.com

Last edited by Obrero; 06-27-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:32 PM

10 posts, read 35,265 times
The latest update from NOAA has it near Grand Isle today. If southeasterly winds prevail, the heavier oil will head toward the area.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2238_TMF24-2010-06-26-2100.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,080,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slincoln_wx View Post
The latest update from NOAA has it near Grand Isle today. If southeasterly winds prevail, the heavier oil will head toward the area.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/book_shelf/2238_TMF24-2010-06-26-2100.pdf (broken link)
Are we already getting some bands from Alex here? We saw lots of convective activity here today from the south with more headed our way from looking at infrared satellite images. Much of it today was probably fueled by the usual summertime variety of inland thermal energy, but...

Always appreciate expert analysis from you pros.

Last edited by JimLFT; 06-27-2010 at 11:16 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry irvin View Post
I thought Limbaugh AKA the drugster said the ocean would take care of this? That bloated idiot Bort said that in 5 years we will look back and say it was no big deal. When are the fools that follow these neocons realize that they are not part of the club they so badly want to be part of but the stooges and lackies carrying the water for these rapists? Going through life fat stupid and republican is no way to live.
thats a pretty dumb statement, as well as blanket accusation. Republicans and Democrats are after the same thing, and thats power. Theres isnt any difference. There are democrats who are pro-oil just as there are Republicans.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,229,455 times
Quote:
I thought Limbaugh AKA the drugster said the ocean would take care of this? That bloated idiot Bort said that in 5 years we will look back and say it was no big deal. When are the fools that follow these neocons realize that they are not part of the club they so badly want to be part of but the stooges and lackies carrying the water for these rapists? Going through life fat stupid and republican is no way to live.
Anyone who listens to Rush is clearly stupid.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,229,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
thats a pretty dumb statement, as well as blanket accusation. Republicans and Democrats are after the same thing, and thats power. Theres isnt any difference. There are democrats who are pro-oil just as there are Republicans.
Sure there is. Lesser of stupidity and evils.

The Reich Wing bankrupts the world everytime. Were you dead during the bush 8 year debacle?

Mission Accomplished?

Cheney shoot anyone in the face today?

The REICH WING fought 2 blow out preventor requirement for USA rigs when Obama was about 10 years old.

The Republican'ts have been fighting enviromental legislation since before you were born, son.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacalaitWhisperer View Post
Sure there is. Lesser of stupidity and evils.

The Reich Wing bankrupts the world everytime. Were you dead during the bush 8 year debacle?

Mission Accomplished?

Cheney shoot anyone in the face today?

The REICH WING fought 2 blow out preventor requirement for USA rigs when Obama was about 10 years old.

The Republican'ts have been fighting enviromental legislation since before you were born, son.
Well Sac, it's clear that you're very angry tonight. I had to laugh when considering that you may have just set a forum record for insulting the most amount of forum members in the shortest amount of time (7 minutes, by my count) in your four-post shot-group.

So, I'll ask my fellow (Reich Wing? Seriously?) members to refrain from coming down too hard on you.

Rough day, huh? Don't even ask me about my own...

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:

Nothing like learning something useful from an Einstein intellectual such as you. Larry (you don't have another brother Larry, per chance?), when, and IF you manage your way out of high school, come visit us again.

Grow up, raise a family and pay some taxes. Heck, even try running a small business.

Until then, bring something useful to the table prior to just spouting off such useless dribble about some private and fellow citizen speaking his mind protected by the FIRST AMENDMENT on the radio. If you disagree with him, then CALL THE FREAKING PHONE NUMBER PROVIDED AND DEBATE HIM. You, BY THE WAY, have every right to achieve just what Limbaugh has! But, can you articulate your thoughts as well as Rush in order to become marketable? Do your thoughts coincide with regular Americans? I seriously doubt it. But, who knows...

I suggest you go for it. BEAT Limbaugh at his own game boy wonder. You're obviously smarter than he, as well as your intellectual superiority over Savage, Beck, Hannity, et al, so should be a snap, right? Please call them as well. I'll be listening with great anticipation for your insightful input.

I'll even offer my services as your agent. Lunch on me.

Here's a quick lesson regarding the First Amendment of the US Constitution that seems to annoy liberals. Constitutional free speech was always meant to protect unpopular speech, such as that heard today on conservative talk radio. The first amendment was intended precisely for the days we currently live when the executive branch is under constant attack by private citizens, such as you and I, and those on talk radio or elsewhere via other media who offer opinions contrary to that of that very executive branch without fear of retribution from same.

Anyone remember Samuel Adams? And no, not talking beer here....

Last edited by JimLFT; 06-29-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 01:58 PM

244 posts, read 624,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLFT View Post
Nothing like learning something useful from an Einstein intellectual such as you. Larry (you don't have another brother Larry, per chance?), when, and IF you manage your way out of high school, come visit us again.

Grow up, raise a family and pay some taxes. Heck, even try running a small business.

Until then, bring something useful to the table prior to just spouting off such useless dribble about some private and fellow citizen speaking his mind protected by the FIRST AMENDMENT on the radio. If you disagree with him, then CALL THE FREAKING PHONE NUMBER PROVIDED AND DEBATE HIM. You, BY THE WAY, have every right to achieve just what Limbaugh has! But, can you articulate your thoughts as well as Rush in order to become marketable? Do your thoughts coincide with regular Americans? I seriously doubt it. But, who knows...

I suggest you go for it. BEAT Limbaugh at his own game boy wonder. You're obviously smarter than he, as well as your intellectual superiority over Savage, Beck, Hannity, et al, so should be a snap, right? Please call them as well. I'll be listening with great anticipation for your insightful input.

I'll even offer my services as your agent. Lunch on me.

Here's a quick lesson regarding the First Amendment of the US Constitution that seems to annoy liberals. Constitutional free speech was always meant to protect unpopular speech, such as that heard today on conservative talk radio. The first amendment was intended precisely for the days we currently live when the executive branch is under constant attack by private citizens, such as you and I, and those on talk radio or elsewhere via other media who offer opinions contrary to that of that very executive branch without fear of retribution from same.

Anyone remember Samuel Adams? And no, not talking beer here....

All I have to say about your above rant is that Rush, like Goebbels did in the 1930's, appeals to the lowest base human instinct. It is very easy to spread hate for "liberals", immigrants, latinos, etc. because hate speech gives a medium for a indvidual frustrated with his own failures and shortcomings to blame the "other lesser human" for his feelings of inadequacy. It appeals to weak men, and many men are weak so its wildly popular. Just like radio RTLM compared the Tutsis to "cockroaches" and rallied so many hutus to massacre them with machetes. Just like Goebbels encouraged so many Germans to prosecute the jews, gypsies, poles etc.

It takes a strong man not to succumb to such tirades of hate. Such strong men are few and far between but they keep humans from self destructing.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhaskar002r View Post
All I have to say about your above rant is that Rush, like Goebbels did in the 1930's, appeals to the lowest base human instinct. It is very easy to spread hate for "liberals", immigrants, latinos, etc. because hate speech gives a medium for a indvidual frustrated with his own failures and shortcomings to blame the "other lesser human" for his feelings of inadequacy. It appeals to weak men, and many men are weak so its wildly popular. Just like radio RTLM compared the Tutsis to "cockroaches" and rallied so many hutus to massacre them with machetes. Just like Goebbels encouraged so many Germans to prosecute the jews, gypsies, poles etc.

It takes a strong man not to succumb to such tirades of hate. Such strong men are few and far between but they keep humans from self destructing.
Kudos for your accurate portrayal of history, as well as the pure wisdom of your last paragraph with regard to those very ugly stains on human history. Totally in lockstep there.

But, my rant stemmed primarily from a lesson I learned quite a few years ago. As a conservative, I really lit in to a liberal associate of mine, armed with every pre-fab assumption about who he was, totally without regard to taking the time to really understand where he was coming from. He is a good and decent individual, yet while I attempted to reduce him, I reduced myself. Very humbling experience. Hardly changed who I am, nor my beliefs, but forced me to look a bit deeper and appreciate that individual for his very uniqueness. In other words, lesson learned. So when I read or hear any wholesale indictment of larger groups such as Democrats, Republicans, liberals, libertarians, moderates or conservatives, Muslims, Latinos, or even Rush fans, etc., I see utter ignorance. Such wholesale indictments attempt (quite lazily) to squeeze most of humanity (billions of individual views) into a dozen, or so categories. Sorry. I ain't playing.

I come from a conservative family, yet no two members of my own family agree on everything, as it should be. Same goes with those on the opposite end of the political spectrum. We are all individuals with individual views. So when I hear terms thrown about, such as "sheeple" as applied to ANY general mindset, I see red. Whether that term targets Obama supporters, or Tea Party supporters, I groan.

Then I come on here to read about, and hopefully contribute to, the place I love and call home, only to find a bunch of garbage that essentially calls me a NAZI, STUPID, RACIST, or (insert your character assassination here) due to holding views that are merely divergent politically, I might just launch a rant, if only to defend my own character, as well as those of similarly-minded people and ideals of which I adhere.

I do want to make a correction to an earlier post where I wrote this:

Quote:
Here's a quick lesson regarding the First Amendment of the US Constitution that seems to annoy liberals.
To be fair, the freedom of unpopular speech has long annoyed those at both ends of the spectrum. But, I think we are all in perfect agreement that it must be protected at all costs.

Last edited by JimLFT; 06-29-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana