Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,687,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I know that subdivisions have a sense of community, but I meant that they don't have a sense of community outside of their own subdivisions. But, either way I do know that their is some sense of civic pride in BR. But I think it could be greater (obviously, the inner city neighborhoods have neighborhood pride but anywhere outside there isn't much).

Anyway, what I was really getting at was that BR needs to change its attitude. I feel that if people want to change, it can happen, rather than accepting the old ways.

Also, I love the Perkins Road Overpass Area. I really just think it's funny that a neighborhood is named after an overpass.
A huge amount of BR residents reside in the inner city. It is not right to say things like "It hurts that BR will never change" and "There is not enough civic pride around here" if these things obviously don't apply to inner city neighborhoods.

I live in a one street subdivision that is a part of the area considered Old Goodwood. Old Goodwood is not the name of the subdivison, but Old Goodwood is the area that my neighbors and I associate with and it is the place we identify with. When people ask where I live, I don't say [insert subdivision name here], I say Old Goodwood. We also care about the sucess of surrounding neighborhoods such as Tara, Bocage, Mall City, and Capital Heights, because this has a direct affect on the desirability, safety, and quality of life in our neighborhood.

It is my opinion that there is alot of pride in BR, that is sometimes overshadowed by the idiocy of a few. Just like there are lots of good people in bad neighborhoods, whose reputation is sullied by the actions of a few.

Just my humble opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,371 times
I am from BR and my wife is from NOLA, so I spend a great deal of time in both cities. BR and NOLA are both good places and I have a difficult time understanding why it is in anyone's best interest who is from LA to bash another town in the same state.
OK, NOLA has crime issues, so does BR. NOLA has terrible roads, so does BR. These arguments are stupid, no one disputes that NOLA is one of the oldest cities in the country and offers an amazing amount of cultural flavor, but there are also some positive aspects to the culture in BR(there are locally owned neighborhood restaurants in BR that are quite good believe it or not). It doesn't do anyone a bit of good to say that BR is boring....it is true that BR has always been significantly smaller than NOLA and will most likely never be as culturally diverse (BR will never be a major tourist destination), but it is a good place to grow up and raise a family. I frequently hear people from NOLA say that people from BR hate NOLA.....this could not be farther from the truth. I know many, many people from BR who own a residence in NOLA or frequently drive down to NOLA to enjoy the restaurants, music scene, etc..
I can honestly say that there are two groups that never have and probably never will like each other- the snooty uptown crowd from NOLA and the old school (very conservative) BR crowd from the northern part of the parish. These 2 groups are too different in every way, but I think relations between the rest of us are quite good and getting better. The number of students attending LSU from the NOLA area is probably at an all time high and this is a very good thing! We should all quit the petty bickering about pointless issues and be proud of our home state. That is all I have to say about that......

Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I agree. Include the Northshore versus the southshore also.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Whatley View Post
I am from BR and my wife is from NOLA, so I spend a great deal of time in both cities. BR and NOLA are both good places and I have a difficult time understanding why it is in anyone's best interest who is from LA to bash another town in the same state.
OK, NOLA has crime issues, so does BR. NOLA has terrible roads, so does BR. These arguments are stupid, no one disputes that NOLA is one of the oldest cities in the country and offers an amazing amount of cultural flavor, but there are also some positive aspects to the culture in BR(there are locally owned neighborhood restaurants in BR that are quite good believe it or not). It doesn't do anyone a bit of good to say that BR is boring....it is true that BR has always been significantly smaller than NOLA and will most likely never be as culturally diverse (BR will never be a major tourist destination), but it is a good place to grow up and raise a family. I frequently hear people from NOLA say that people from BR hate NOLA.....this could not be farther from the truth. I know many, many people from BR who own a residence in NOLA or frequently drive down to NOLA to enjoy the restaurants, music scene, etc..
I can honestly say that there are two groups that never have and probably never will like each other- the snooty uptown crowd from NOLA and the old school (very conservative) BR crowd from the northern part of the parish. These 2 groups are too different in every way, but I think relations between the rest of us are quite good and getting better. The number of students attending LSU from the NOLA area is probably at an all time high and this is a very good thing! We should all quit the petty bickering about pointless issues and be proud of our home state. That is all I have to say about that......

I agree with everything you said except BR is very boring compared to NOLA. Other than that, I still like my hometown even if it's boring as hell, and I enjoy NOLA a lot too whenever I go down there every now and then.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,371 times
southseeker, this is what I said-
but there are also some positive aspects to the culture in BR(there are locally owned neighborhood restaurants in BR that are quite good believe it or not). It doesn't do anyone a bit of good to say that BR is boring....it is true that BR has always been significantly smaller than NOLA and will most likely never be as culturally diverse (BR will never be a major tourist destination), but it is a good place to grow up and raise a family.

I didn't say BR is boring, but it is a fact that there is more to do in NOLA. NOLA is a worldwide tourism destination, BR is not. This is not a criticism of BR, you could say the same for just about any other city in the US outside of NYC, San Fran and a few others. These places are known around the world as great places to visit.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:32 PM

270 posts, read 587,317 times
When I was at LSU we would have our football games between our frat with Baton Rouge people taking on New Orleans people. We would joke about the differences between the two with each side comically putting down the other. I remember at the time I used to think Baton Rouge was superior, but personally since the hurricane, I now prefer New Orleans and I'm very sensitive to anyone criticizing the city.

Have a blessed day in the Lord
Kevin

Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I have to ask, why did you prefer Baton Rouge?

Old 03-24-2012, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I have to ask, why did you prefer Baton Rouge?

he just gotta love B.R !

Old 03-24-2012, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 7,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
I agree with everything you said except BR is very boring compared to NOLA. Other than that, I still like my hometown even if it's boring as hell, and I enjoy NOLA a lot too whenever I go down there every now and then.

itz only boring if u dont know anyone are of the things u do.. im never board in B.R. i go do everything from drankin in da club to drankin in da worst hoodz in B.R. an itz fun.. also in New Orleans i do da same thing, u just got to take what it have to offer, im in Denver now an both B.R. an N.O. lacks behind bigtime B.R. an N.O. should work together on other city comperasion then instate....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana