Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 02:22 PM

18 posts, read 34,384 times

Advertisements

hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in LA, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 10:03 PM

136 posts, read 619,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
hi my friend and i are going to b travelling by road from Phoenix to Florida and will be touring part of the state. We are plutonic, non married blond caucasion male 21 and african-new zealander female 21, i am just concerned about how that would be received in LA, in fact we are quite worried due to stories and tv etc weve heard/watched. Just like some honest opinions on local attitudes to bi-racial opposite sex new zealand friends please and if we'd have a hard time or be welcomed, thanks. Andre and Jazmine

You have posted this same question on the City-Data forum sites for Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, and I'm sure you've upset a few people by suggesting that their beloved State is still in the dark ages of racial hatred. I notice you left out Arizona, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Florida. Why the distinction? After all, they have people in them, too. The South has its history, but its people are civilized. I suggest that you are so worried about being ill met all the way to Florida, you should just take a plane.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM

18 posts, read 34,384 times
Moderator cut: personal attackread da question properly, and i replied in alabama, looks like im looking at the wrong region to be worried about, seems michigan has the mutts

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 06-17-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-16-2007, 11:52 PM

I realized I'd likely not win accolades from the New Zelander's. But in the original post, the suggestion is that the state it's posted to has a reputation for being hazardous to mixed race travellers. Since you posted to these different sites, it seems fair to do likewise, if only to make the people reading from that State have a better view of the breadth of your concern.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Smile Welcome to the South!

Personally, I am glad you want to drive through the South and visit us here. I understand your concerns and did not take your question the wrong way. I grew up here, am white, but have seen lots of prejudice in the past which I hated seeing.

However, the area I live in has changed for the better in the last 20 years.

Of course there is prejudice here just like anywhere in the world but it is not something I, a female, am concerned about when I travel with a black female companion anywhere in Louisiana.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 PM

12 posts, read 69,302 times
You're fine, unless you start to hear banjo's playing and hear somebody hollar Bubba, then you may wan to run. LOL

Old 06-19-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADEGG View Post
You're fine, unless you start to hear banjo's playing and hear somebody hollar Bubba, then you may wan to run. LOL
This made me chuckle. I was friends with a banjo maker in Michigan years back. He was from New Zealand, and said once he had no clue how a guy from New Zealand became a maker of an instrument from the other side of the world. He's back in New Zealand... maybe hollering "Bubba"?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_nz View Post
hi
i,ve only been here since feb. but the people seem very nice , there is still some negative vibs toward people of color , but its not too open, BUT , u will be aware of it, just stay aware !!!, I was informed by an officer that i should stay out of Sheveport, its a high crime area. an there is daily reports of crime in that area, but the clubs and such r there too, it seems that all the late nite places r in that area too() just be aware okay? have fun !!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,297,575 times
FOr what its worth I have a friend from australia who has visited Louisiana a couple times and he wasnt treated differently or badly at all. People asked questions about his accent but accepted him fine.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:13 AM

6 posts, read 15,455 times
Hi, I just moved back to La. after living in Virginia and traveling with the military. My view, as individuals go, it's not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana