U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,202 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have not set foot in a church, other than weddings for over 20 years. I've been feeling a need to lately. (re-examining, requestioning, etc). I'm quite liberal and wondering if you have any recommendations to add to my "shopping list". I live in the east end but location is not the most important thing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM

3,831 posts, read 8,149,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillemel View Post
Hi all. I have not set foot in a church, other than weddings for over 20 years. I've been feeling a need to lately. (re-examining, requestioning, etc). I'm quite liberal and wondering if you have any recommendations to add to my "shopping list". I live in the east end but location is not the most important thing to me.
Sojourn is your go to for this.

Sojourn Community Church

Very hip, very liberal. I am not a church goer but went a couple times mainly for the music. Nice place. Good people. I did not know they have since expanded east. But the mothership if you will is the midtown location. I would start by going to that one. Also some great music shows at the 930 center

Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 PM

4,807 posts, read 8,128,500 times
Quote:
Oh, what wonders I have. The Christian faith I practice is extremely liberal, yet to most who don't care to understand, one would think I am an extreme conservative.

I believe I know about the various religious communities & churches of the east end, but since I believe that all faith is a very deeply personal experience, you would need to share more about who you are. Even amongst the various Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian congregations, one will find different points of conservative/liberality along a scale of 1 to 10.

I would be honored to help you find a congregation where you can grow, learn, and serve.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM

15,117 posts, read 17,619,376 times
Quote:
No expert on Louisville churches but most of my very liberal buddies in Virginia have always had luck with Episcopal and Lutheran churches.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

101 posts, read 102,860 times
I don't know about liberal churches, ....but if what you seek is a christian church that is inclusive and doesn't judge, try non-denominational christian (contemporary music & casual dress) usually 'community church' in the name..
In my personal experience, ( I was re-examining, re-questioning too) there you can find answers directly from the Word of God and a relaxed atmosphere without human condemnation. 'The Bridge Community' may be one you would like to visit--- although it would be a drive for you to E-Town. The Sojourn mentioned above looks to be another example. Good luck darlin, I pray you will soon find the answers your heart seeks, and a community of believers that will support you in your quest.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 9,202 times
Thanks everyone. For more info on me...I've been an athiest for over 20 years but am now more agnostic/confused. I'm looking for a church to help me figure out what I believe while giving me spiritual support. Anyone familiar with Unitarian Universalists? Am also looking at Methodist, Presbyterian, and Luteran. Any suggestions/comments?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:41 AM

101 posts, read 102,860 times
Hey, me again! My Husband just suggested Anglican or Lutheran for really liberal churches. Hope that helps!
I share your backround, and just wanted to share my experience with you. When you are a hungry beggar that found food, you normally want to show others where you found it. (not saying you are a beggar, LOL!) Good luck!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM

12,380 posts, read 12,331,456 times
Check out the Presbyterian Church, which I think would the bill for you. It actively works as a religion, but with a modern perspective and without moral judgement. Presbyterians tend to be intellectual and spiritual, and the church welcomes all. - Central Presbyterian Church in Louisville, KY

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 PM

171 posts, read 222,334 times
If you're "shopping" then consider that Southeast Christian, as measured by the number of members, is a top-notch product. They offer multiple bible study classes just before or after church that are organized along social groupings such as "bible study for singles under 30" or for "over 30", married, divorced, etc. So not only do you get to learn but you get to mix and meet potentially helpful and/or like-minded people. It's a good format for someone that is "christian curious" and a good example of why this church is so successful.

There's a local rock-n-roll / biker church in town. I'm pretty sure but not positive it's the Heart of Fire Church on Bardstown Rd. I don't know if they are conservative or liberal but I think it's safe to assume they are open minded.

If you really want to learn something about Christianity you could go to the original source dating back some 2,000 years and take an RCI class at one of the local catholic churches. The Church is the origin of many liberal ideas: the abolition of slavery, equal rights for women, brotherly love (in christ) to name a few. The original christian religion was founded on tradition and lessons taught by Christ and is incredibly spiritually rich. It is the source of the new testament and there is not a more knowledgeable authority on the interpretation of it; The Church wrote it after all. My advice if you take an RCI class is to ask a lot of questions otherwise they tend to pass over many important points and ideas leaving it up to self discovery based on your curiosity. And don't worry about asking tough questions. They welcome it.

After learning the origins of the faith and its beliefs you can retreat to a more liberal and secularized flavor church to suite your tastes but you will have a much better understanding of the religion, its history and traditions.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 AM

93 posts, read 157,760 times
I'd recommend not going to Southeast Christian if you want a liberal church. That's like the polar opposite, and I don't mean to argue with anyone. From my experience, however, and being fairly liberal for most of my life, I'd say that church makes up the heart of Louisville's Republican Party. So much so that even George W. Bush knew where to come when he was looking for donations years ago. In fact, I don't think I've ever met a Democrat who went to Southeast Christian. And well, you can deduce from that what you will....

Last edited by ThePoint502; 07-07-2010 at 02:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area