U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM

40 posts, read 79,782 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread titled White Trash EPICENTER!!!(brilliant) and it was deleted because it was "racial", but if you took the time to read my post i clearly explained the title and the post wasnt offensive at all, but yet it was deleted. I made it very clear in my responses the type of conversation i wanted in my thread, but still it was deleted. I just cant win...BUT!!! i still wanna know more about Louisville. once again im black, gay, and i have an MBA and i wanna know about the job market in the area... Based on a couple of the responses from my previous threads and the fact that it had to be deleted, im startin to think this isnt the place for me, but i still would like a little info... THANX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,328,572 times
I was just saying that making a thread about Louisville saying "white trash epicenter" whether intended to offend or just to garner attention is not a wise thing to do.

Also, being black or gay is not a problem in most of America nowadays, the 'Ville included, so that part should be irrelevant.

Louisville is an ok city, not much to do. On that note, I laugh at Rick Pitino.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,915,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKING28 View Post
I posted a thread titled White Trash EPICENTER!!!(brilliant) and it was deleted because it was "racial", but if you took the time to read my post i clearly explained the title and the post wasnt offensive at all, but yet it was deleted. I made it very clear in my responses the type of conversation i wanted in my thread, but still it was deleted. I just cant win...BUT!!! i still wanna know more about Louisville. once again im black, gay, and i have an MBA and i wanna know about the job market in the area... Based on a couple of the responses from my previous threads and the fact that it had to be deleted, im startin to think this isnt the place for me, but i still would like a little info... THANX
For jobs you can try Humana and UPS, both are headquartered here.
Louisville is not for everyone. I moved here from Chicago several years ago and regret it. Louisville is conservative, yes, not as conservative as rural Kentucky, but it's noticeable. This city is basketball obsessed. There isn't much else going on. People say things like 'vibrant art community', but when asked for specifics, they seem dumbfounded. The big events (other than basketball) in town are the oaks and derby. Soon the new 250 million dollar basketball temple on the riverfront will be complete.
Louisville is very religious. One of the nation's largest mega-churches (Southeast Christian) is located on the east side. On cars you'll see many religious bumper stickers and symbols, also stickers against Obama.
Louisville's media sucks (radio and TV). Not much alternative programming. Plenty of conservative talk shows. Country music. Corporate rock music. Even the publicly funded radio plays christian music.
The Highlands area of Louisville is a bit more progressive and people walk the streets. Otherwise Louisville is for cars. Many areas don't have sidewalks. The people in the Highlands are more open minded and accepting of differences.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
LOL Who's the sensitive one?

YouTube - I know you are but what am I - Pee Wee

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I was just saying that making a thread about Louisville saying "white trash epicenter" whether intended to offend or just to garner attention is not a wise thing to do.

Also, being black or gay is not a problem in most of America nowadays, the 'Ville included, so that part should be irrelevant.

Louisville is an ok city, not much to do. On that note, I laugh at Rick Pitino.
Oh! If thats how you felt why didnt you just say that the first time. Instead YOU were the one to judge and YOU called me a racist. Furthermore, the fact that i stated that im black and gay may be irrelevant to you but not to me. Let me explain....

Letting everybody know that im black is relevant because though im very openminded and i welcome all experiences and cultures i cant run away from the fact that i love being around other black people and i love to immerse myself in black culture so living someplace where blacks make up a substantial part of the population is important to me.

Secondly, I know and you know too that some cities are more gay friendly than others, so letting everybody know that im gay is very relevant because i wanna know, as a gay guy living in Louisville, will i be miserable or not...

Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,328,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKING28 View Post
Oh! If thats how you felt why didnt you just say that the first time. Instead YOU were the one to judge and YOU called me a racist. Furthermore, the fact that i stated that im black and gay may be irrelevant to you but not to me. Let me explain....

Letting everybody know that im black is relevant because though im very openminded and i welcome all experiences and cultures i cant run away from the fact that i love being around other black people and i love to immerse myself in black culture so living someplace where blacks make up a substantial part of the population is important to me.

Secondly, I know and you know too that some cities are more gay friendly than others, so letting everybody know that im gay is very relevant because i wanna know, as a gay guy living in Louisville, will i be miserable or not...
Depends on what you mean by black culture. East St. Louis is full of it, but it's definitely not a place you want to live. You'll need to elaborate on that.

You can bet your bottom that any city over 100,000 in population will have some sort of gay population, the larger, the better. Hell, even Jackson, Mississippi has a homosexual community.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
LOL!!! Really?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Depends on what you mean by black culture. East St. Louis is full of it, but it's definitely not a place you want to live. You'll need to elaborate on that.

You can bet your bottom that any city over 100,000 in population will have some sort of gay population, the larger, the better. Hell, even Jackson, Mississippi has a homosexual community.
I have family in Missouri that live right across the river from E. St. Louis and i am familiar with the area so when i say i want black culture im not saying i wanna live in the ghetto... Heres an example of what i mean...

Montgomery, AL was the center of the civil rights movement and everybody knows the bad things that were happening down south during that time, but rather than trying to forget its past the city embraces it. they have the Rosa Parks Museum and Library, the Civil Rights Memorial, and theres even a memorial at the location of the four little girls church bombing. Here in Atlanta theres the MLK Jr. National Historic Site, Sweet Auburn Ave., and it seems like half of the Hip-Hop and R&B artists are from this area. there are jazz clubs, black plays and dance presentations, spoken word lounges, and a lot more... thats what i mean

Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM

93 posts, read 241,243 times
The OP clearly didn't want to have a serious conversation or he wouldn't have made the title of his thread to be so idiotic.

It's like going to a gay message board and saying "YOU GAY LIMPWRISTED F*GS SHOULD BE KILLED"

Then getting upset when people take offense.

Now, I would be 'offended,' but you've obviously never been to Louisville if you even assume that the city is a bunch of hicks. And this isn't the deep south, bro. If you want reminders of racism at every corner, move to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama or Mississippi.

Last edited by ThePoint502; 08-03-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM

93 posts, read 241,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
For jobs you can try Humana and UPS, both are headquartered here.
Louisville is not for everyone. I moved here from Chicago several years ago and regret it. Louisville is conservative, yes, not as conservative as rural Kentucky, but it's noticeable. This city is basketball obsessed. There isn't much else going on. People say things like 'vibrant art community', but when asked for specifics, they seem dumbfounded. The big events (other than basketball) in town are the oaks and derby. Soon the new 250 million dollar basketball temple on the riverfront will be complete.
Louisville is very religious. One of the nation's largest mega-churches (Southeast Christian) is located on the east side. On cars you'll see many religious bumper stickers and symbols, also stickers against Obama.
Louisville's media sucks (radio and TV). Not much alternative programming. Plenty of conservative talk shows. Country music. Corporate rock music. Even the publicly funded radio plays christian music.
The Highlands area of Louisville is a bit more progressive and people walk the streets. Otherwise Louisville is for cars. Many areas don't have sidewalks. The people in the Highlands are more open minded and accepting of differences.
a lot of bs in this thread. Bumper stickers? Seriously?

If I was miserable like this guy, I'd move away. But I'm not and I love living here.... BTW, my family is from Chicago. I like Louisville better.

Do I care about what is on the radio? No. I joined the 21st century and bought an iPod long ago. I couldn't even tell you the channels.

As far as events in Louisville, there is so much more than The Derby, Oaks and basketball. Hullabalou last week was awesome. The Forecastle Festival was awesome. The Louisville Palace is awesome. I have like 15 bars that I love in the city. I know where to see live music on any weekend night. I know where to go if I want a low-key night, I know where to go if I want karaoke, and I know where to go if I want to rock out with my sock out.

And by the way, St. Joseph's Oprhans Picnic is coming up. That's awesome too.

Football season is approaching and the city college will lose a lot. Of course, that's awesome, but on a different level.

Last edited by ThePoint502; 08-03-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area