Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM

522 posts, read 1,604,049 times

Advertisements

I LOVE AVEDA products! They ARE expensive and when I first moved to Louisville in May I had some of the products left and found they didn't work well for me here, it could have been the TYPE of Aveda product. The water is much softer where I live than where I lived in Florida and I think that's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:32 PM

57 posts, read 123,813 times
William Dean's is definitely not the cheapest but you get what you pay for!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,991,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpickle View Post
Oh if that were only true. When I lived in Southern California I spent years getting my hair done at the most expensive salon in town, convinced that it was money well spent but I will have to say that I wasn't always pleased with the service, cut or color.

One day I met a friend of a friend and noticed that her hair looked fabulous - just the way I wished my hair looked. I asked her where she had it cut and she told me SuperCuts (I'm not sure if they have those here - but they are a big discount chain in California). Sure enough I made an appointment and was blown away with the quality of the cut....truly a wonderful haircut...this girl had clients from the most expensive zip codes in town - she was that good. I believe I paid $18 a haircut when I left So. Cal. two years ago.

If you find someone who can give you exactly the kind of cut you need and want, that is the most important thing - not how much they charge.

High prices do not necessarily equate with a good haircut, color or even service - I know that from personal experience.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM

44 posts, read 159,801 times
I won't name the salon, but years ago I went to one of the top salons in town and picked one of the top colorists. I have naturally dark brown hair- I told him I wanted to deepen my color a little bit and maybe put in some subtle auburn highlights. I walked out that day with black hair and thick BRIGHT RED streaks! My husband told me I looked ready to go to a U of L game!!! I ended up going back to the salon and having it fixed by another colorist.

Just goes to show that the amount of money spent does not always equate to the quality of service received.

That doesn't just apply to salons- one of my favorite handymen that does home improvements for me is a semi-retired guy who charges $15 an hour! He does AMAZING work and actually shows up when I schedule a time with him! And no, I won't reveal this person's information- he told me recently that the couple of real estate clients I gave his number to have already provided enough work to keep him busy and he'd like to stay semi-retired! I just wanted to use it as an example that "getting what you pay for", though generally true, doesn't always work out in reality.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,018,777 times
Quote:
The best salon in Louisville by far....is William Dean's salon off of Bardstown Road...(502) 451-4818 or see William Deans

I've been to a few salons and some of them Aveda salons (BTW they are NOT as 'natural' as they purport - just look at the ingredients) but no one has ALFA PARF color which makes my reds last as long...They are truly talented there and love making you look the hottest ever! Give em a try!
Quote:

I use to go to William Deans, no more He refused to do my hair Long story, but he canceled my appointment for some reason and I called back and re-scheduled and then he pretty much told me that he didn't want to do my hair wanted to cut it all off I found another salon who didn't mind working with my long hair and didn't cut it unless I wanted to

Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I use to go to William Deans, no more He refused to do my hair Long story, but he canceled my appointment for some reason and I called back and re-scheduled and then he pretty much told me that he didn't want to do my hair wanted to cut it all off I found another salon who didn't mind working with my long hair and didn't cut it unless I wanted to
The beautician who used to cut my hair in Florida told me the reason so many beauticians want to cut our hair short is it both easier and less time consuming for THEM! I called Z Salon last week and it was going to take until mid October to get a cut. I got sidetracked but plan on calling Jerry Heston this week for an appt. I DO plan to say I'm not paying over $50 and don't really want to pay that much. We'll see...

Old 09-26-2010, 11:42 PM

Yep, hairdressers have to make a living too - they aren't there just to provide a nice service for their customers - they actually have to eat and pay rent just like the rest of us. It stands to reason that hair dressers deal in volume in order to make the most money. If you were a hairdresser you probably would prefer to make the most money that you could make - turn those customers over as quickly as possible (and still do a good job). Let's say you charge $40 for a cut and can cut two people's hair (short to medium length) in a little over an hour, you would then make tips of approximately $16 plus your share of the $80 for the cuts (the salon takes a chunk of that)...or you could cut one person's long hair for $50 but it takes an hour and you make $10 in tip - which customers would you prefer if you were trying to support yourself and your family?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,018,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
The beautician who used to cut my hair in Florida told me the reason so many beauticians want to cut our hair short is it both easier and less time consuming for THEM! I called Z Salon last week and it was going to take until mid October to get a cut. I got sidetracked but plan on calling Jerry Heston this week for an appt. I DO plan to say I'm not paying over $50 and don't really want to pay that much. We'll see...
I can get a good hair cut for $25 at Z's. This is their busy season coming on. Once your established, they can work with you on getting in. They have a lot more stylist here than anywhere in Louisville.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yep, hairdressers have to make a living too - they aren't there just to provide a nice service for their customers - they actually have to eat and pay rent just like the rest of us. It stands to reason that hair dressers deal in volume in order to make the most money. If you were a hairdresser you probably would prefer to make the most money that you could make - turn those customers over as quickly as possible (and still do a good job). Let's say you charge $40 for a cut and can cut two people's hair (short to medium length) in a little over an hour, you would then make tips of approximately $16 plus your share of the $80 for the cuts (the salon takes a chunk of that)...or you could cut one person's long hair for $50 but it takes an hour and you make $10 in tip - which customers would you prefer if you were trying to support yourself and your family?
I get they have to make a living. But sometimes you have to think long term. If you don't please the customer they not only won't keep coming back they won't refer others.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:48 PM

I know that the really good hairdressers have an overabundance of business and therefore can be picky about who their customers are. Notice I didn't give my hairdressers name - I have enough problems getting an appointment when I need to. I understand how frustrating it can be to not get the service you want but I also understand the flip side of the coin - hairdressers want to earn as much as they can. If a haircut takes twice as long when the hair is long then it only makes sense that a hairdresser would need to charge twice as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area