Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:19 AM

1 posts, read 5,610 times

Advertisements

when i left louisville in 1989, it was the 35th largest market in the u.s., and the largest without a major league sports franchise. by the time i returned in 2006, nashville, columbus, memphis and salt lake had left louisville in the dust, not to mention the remarkable rise of indy.sometime go see a hockey game in nashville, and see the excitement in that town. then tell me how wonderful it is that louisville has landed the world's largest flea market three years in advance.oh, please.
contact the mayoral candidates and drag them kicking and screamig into the 21st century. demand that putting louisville on the map again become a priority...this time, the nba way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 21,484 times
The answer is simple,

Alright look I know Louisville can support an NBA team and I have heard allot of good things about their new basketball stadium such as the fact that it cost more to build then Conseco Fieldhouse home of the Indiana Pacers . But serously the last time Louisville tried to get an NBA team (Charlotte Hornets, 2001) Herb Simon and his Indianapolis sports board blocked them from doing so because, the city of Cincinnati had blocked the city of Indianapolis twice from getting an MLB team (expansion team in 1982, Seattle Marriners in 1996).

So BOTTOM LINE the city of Louisville will never have an NFL or an MLB team due to the fact that the city of Cincinnati is way too close and until the city of Cincinnati allows the city of Indianapolis to get an MLB team Herb Simon and the Indianapolis board of sports WILL CONTINUE TO BLOCK THE CITY OF LOUISVILLE FROM GETTING AN NBA TEAM. However I do not think anyone can block the city of Louisville from getting an NHL team which in this case may be the best option.

PS.
I also have nothing agianst the Kings moving to Louisville in fact as a Pacers fan I am all for it but it isn't up to me.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Default Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
No, it couldn't. Before Louisville's football team got really good in just the past 3-4 years and the all the bandwagonners hopped on, they had trouble completely selling out 42,000 seat Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. It was usually mostly full but not completely sold out... 42,000! That's the average capacity of most Major League Baseball stadiums... NFL Stadiums are inbetween 63,000 and 80,000 and if they can't sell out a 42,000 seat stadium how could they sell out a 70,000 seat stadium? They can't even get a real Arena Football League team... they have minor league Arena Football.

The city could support an NBA team but like I said in my other post I really don't think it's going to happen. Louisville might as well be called Loserville when it comes to pro sports. Good college sports town, but they never tried hard enough when opportunities came for pro teams and as a result every major city around Louisville has at least 1 team while Louisville still has none. Memphis has NBA, Nashville has NFL and NHL, Cincinnati has MLB and NFL, Indianapolis has NFL and NBA, and St. Louis has MLB, NFL, and NHL.

It's funny how Louisville cheats on its population and calls itself the "16th largest city in America" yet they are too scared to get any pro sports teams, something every other big major city has.
Louisville can't support an MLB or an NFL team because they are too close to close to the city of Cincinnati who cannot support an NBA team because all their basketball fans are in Louisville and Indianapolis but musc much more so Louisville.

Louisville doesn't have an NBA team because the city of Indianapolis won't let them due to the fact that the city of Cincinnati will not let the city of Indianapolis have an MBL team. The NHL might be the best rout for the city of Lousiville, there are no NHL teams in Cincinnati or Indianapolis and I highly doubt the city of Chicago could block the city of Louisville from getting an NHL team like they have been doing with the cities of Milwaukee and Indianapolis. Plus if the city of Louisville did have an NHL team they could draw fans from the cities of Cincnnati (1 hr from the ville) and Indianapolis (2 hours from the ville) due to the fact that cinci is about 2 hours from the nearest NHL team and Indy is about 2.5-3 hours from the nearest NHL team. However an NHL team (evnethough it makes allot of sense location wise) may not last too long in Louisville sense someone posted that the city of Louisville couldn't even support a minor league hockey team.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Default About that NBA team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMover08 View Post
The Louisville Panthers AHL team (NHL equivalant of triple A baseball) folded after two years. If minor league teams can't survive how can a NHL?

There is a slight chance an NBA team could come. I personally don't think it's going to happen but I do think there is a chance. Everything else is out of the question, it's not going to happen anytime soon. In the year 2030 who knows, but as for the next 10-15 years it's not going to happen.
The city of Indianapolis will continue to block the city of Louisville from getting an NBA team utile the city of Cincinnati stops blocking the city of Indianapolis from getting an MLB team which I doubt happens anytime soon. NHL may be more realistic but I doubt that happens either.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudent View Post
Look at this:

[URL=http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=926214]SSRN-NBA] NBA Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher[/url] Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher Expansion and Relocation: A Viability Study of Various Cities by Daniel Rascher, Heather Rascher
An examination of possible expansion or relocation sites for the NBA is undertaken using a two-equation system requiring two-stage probit least squares to estimate. The location model forecasts the best cities for an NBA team based on the underlying characteristics of current NBA teams. The results suggest that Louisville, San Diego, Baltimore, St. Louis, and Norfolk appear to be the most promising candidates for relocation or expansion.[/FONT]

[url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13946446/]Commentary]Commentary: Sonics’ move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com[/url]: Sonics move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com Sonics move could be first of many - NBA - MSNBC.com
Here's another article that mentions Louisville as one of the top options for an NBA team looking to relocate. Obviously, from this article, there are quite a few relocations that might occur within the next few years.

Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans (http://nbainkc.blogspot.com/2007/02/seattle-sonics-finally-unveil-arena.html - broken link) Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans[/url] Bring the NBA to Kansas City: Seattle: Sonics Finally Unveil Arena Plans
Here's a blog that mentions some possible NBA teams looking to relocate. The possible relocation cities are mentioned. The cities mentioned: Anaheim, Las Vegas, Louisville, Oklahoma City, San Jose, St. Louis.

Obviously, I've done some searching on this topic. There is talk in various media outlets that Louisville is ready for an NBA team. Louisville was a major contender for the Hornets when they left Charlotte, and that was before all of the excitement and development in downtown (Museum Plaza, Center City, Iron Quarter, and, most importantly for this situation, the downtown arena). Also, remember that Humana is expanding, UPS is adding thousands of jobs, and the redevelopment of the Haymarket block will bring in thousands of high-paying medical research jobs.

Isn't this interesting?
1.Louisville & St. Louis have enough people to support an NBA team, Baltimore does not, they can't keep anything and I highly doubt SD does either considering the fact LA has 2 NBA teams playing in the same arena and their fans are fair weather to the point where Chargers can't even sell out when they are winning and I have no idea where Norfolk is so I doubt they can support an NBA team either.

2.About that article-KC has built a brand new arena for basketball and hockey but has also made it perfectly clear that they want an NHL team (likely to be the NY Islanders) NOT AN NBA TEAM, OKC has the Thunder, Las Vegas cannot support any type of high profile professional sports team due to their popularity of gambling on sports, San Jose is too close to Oakland to support an NBA team hell San Fran couldn't even keep the Warriors, Anahiem is too close to LA to support an NBA team, and Louisville will be blocked by Herb Simon from getting an NBA team until the city of Cincnatti stops blocking the city of Indianapolis from getting an MLB team which isn't happening any time in the near future. So STL who I believe came in second in getting the Grizzlies may end up being the new home for the Kings. However I also would not count Van Couver out people have been trying to bring the NBA back there for quite some time.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,176 times
With the passing of time comes change; this is Louisville's chance to land an NBA franchise.

I have visited Louisville several times and I have been really impressed with the city. It has it all: beautiful terrain, a vibrant downtown, big-time corporations, and a new arena. My in-laws are from Kentucky and I have been a fan of the state ever since I first visited. I believe Louisville can support an NBA franchise and I would like to see them land the Hornets. Not only would I enjoy the visits even more, the acquisition could spark up a nice rivalry between my in-laws and me (I am from Oklahoma City).

How is the NBA-climate in Louisville? Are people besides sports radio actively discussing the possibility right now? I would love to see Louisville across an NBA jersey; I would especially like to visit that nice arena of yours.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSucks View Post
Louisville can't support an MLB or an NFL team because they are too close to close to the city of Cincinnati who cannot support an NBA team because all their basketball fans are in Louisville and Indianapolis but musc much more so Louisville.

Louisville doesn't have an NBA team because the city of Indianapolis won't let them due to the fact that the city of Cincinnati will not let the city of Indianapolis have an MBL team. The NHL might be the best rout for the city of Lousiville, there are no NHL teams in Cincinnati or Indianapolis and I highly doubt the city of Chicago could block the city of Louisville from getting an NHL team like they have been doing with the cities of Milwaukee and Indianapolis. Plus if the city of Louisville did have an NHL team they could draw fans from the cities of Cincnnati (1 hr from the ville) and Indianapolis (2 hours from the ville) due to the fact that cinci is about 2 hours from the nearest NHL team and Indy is about 2.5-3 hours from the nearest NHL team. However an NHL team (evnethough it makes allot of sense location wise) may not last too long in Louisville sense someone posted that the city of Louisville couldn't even support a minor league hockey team.
What are you talking about? Cities don't let other cities have major league teams. Indy is plenty far enough away from Cincy. They are totally independent markets.

Indy is simply too small for MLB and Cincy may not be able to support the NBA or NHL along with NFL and MLB (much like KC). It's certianly not a wide open market like OKC was or Louisville would be where it would be the only fish in the pond.

Louisville is also way too small for MLB. Places like KC and Cincy with over 2 million people can barely support MLB.

Indy can't have a MLB team cause Cincy won't let them? Louisville can't have an NBA team cause Indy won't let them? Crazy talk.

Having said that, I can see the NBA doing quite well in Louisville.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
There was an article the other day in the Indy Star about how great it would be to have an NBA team back in Louisville again. It could kind of bring back the rivalry that was there back in the ABA days. I think it would be great, although I don't see it happening. The market is a little too small, there are other cities like Seattle that have recently had a team are more prepared to get one back, and neither of Louisville's arenas are fit to house an NBA franchise. The new one because the college won't let it happen and the old one because it's too outdated.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:07 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKSucks View Post
The city of Indianapolis will continue to block the city of Louisville from getting an NBA team utile the city of Cincinnati stops blocking the city of Indianapolis from getting an MLB team which I doubt happens anytime soon. NHL may be more realistic but I doubt that happens either.
Cincinnati is not blocking Indianapolis from having an MLB team.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Maybe the reason that Louisville doesn't have an NBA team is because god is punishing Louisville for not electing all Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area