Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:03 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times

Advertisements

I could possibly be working in downtown Louisville in the not too distant future (or sometime next year) and I could be in a position to get a first apt (to not waste gas commuting from Hardin County). My budget would be limited so I couldn't afford the popular places in the Ville at first. My max would be $450-550 a month. Which spot (of the ones I mentioned ONLY) would you recommend?

New Albany
- Any yearly car tax in Indiana? (would be an advantage over staying in KY)
- Crossing a bridge will probably be a pain.
- I've heard mostly good about it.

Old Louisville
- No fan of street parking (brings back bad memories of looking for a spot for an hour back in Alexandria)
- Love the historical housing stock
- Crime, I've heard is going up, there. I have a higher tolerance than most but I don't want to be in a war zone

South Louisville
- I thought Southern Parkway right next to I-264 looked decent
- What spots have really nice apts but still cheap and closer to Downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 160,597 times
I would vote for Old Louisville. Great location, lots of options for cheap rentals, and close to downtown. I lived in Old Louisville for a few years during my college years, and never felt like there was a lot of crime. Once my car was broken into, but other than that my years there were uneventful. I lived toward U of L on 3rd street, and there's a huge college student population out that way. My apartment building had offstreet parking, so though it's rare, it can be done.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:38 PM

39 posts, read 113,321 times
I'm not going to argue with Old Louisville, but New Albany has quite a bit going for itself too. I've always liked the housing stock listed at this website:

:: Historic New Albany ::

Check out the current leasing/rental tab and you'll find a perfect rental for $550, utilities included. 10 minutes drive to work from there, and the New Albany downtown is safe, walkable and more going on than it gets credit for.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 PM

157 posts, read 475,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I could possibly be working in downtown Louisville in the not too distant future (or sometime next year) and I could be in a position to get a first apt (to not waste gas commuting from Hardin County). My budget would be limited so I couldn't afford the popular places in the Ville at first. My max would be $450-550 a month. Which spot (of the ones I mentioned ONLY) would you recommend?

New Albany
- Any yearly car tax in Indiana? (would be an advantage over staying in KY)
- Crossing a bridge will probably be a pain.
- I've heard mostly good about it.

Old Louisville
- No fan of street parking (brings back bad memories of looking for a spot for an hour back in Alexandria)
- Love the historical housing stock
- Crime, I've heard is going up, there. I have a higher tolerance than most but I don't want to be in a war zone

South Louisville
- I thought Southern Parkway right next to I-264 looked decent
- What spots have really nice apts but still cheap and closer to Downtown?
As a resident of Old Louisville, I recommend my neighborhood.

New Albany -- YES! Crossing the bridge would be a pain. I cross the I-64 (eastbound) bridge nearly every morning; sure, it's not as bad as I-65 during rush hour, but it's still bad. You never know when and where the "big slowdown" is going to start.

South Louisville -- When I first moved to Louisville I checked out Southern Parkway, and I too thought it was nice. BUT...it seems rentals are few and you'd probably have to live in a converted house if you lived in an apartment along there (not the same as living in a converted Victorian mansion, like in Old Louisville). Other than Southern Parkway I haven't seen anywhere appealing to live in that area.

Old Louisville -- Apartments are a good mix between converted mansions and actual apartment buildings (I live in one of the latter). Rent in your range is ubiquitous. Getting to downtown is easy, whether you drive, bike or walk. Best to avoid first street around morning rush hour and about 2-3 o'clock because of schools letting out. Going on I-65 between downtown and Old Louisville can be convienient and slightly quicker than taking the numbered streets, depending on how close you live to the interstate. As for parking, you are right that it's often on the street. Some apartments have private parking but most do not. The only times I encounter parking issues is early morning on weekends when I get home from work; when I say "parking issues" I mean I might have to take time to parallel park instead of simply sliding in front of or behind another vehicle.

My husband works downtown near 4th Street Live and he walks back from work every night to our apartment. He hasn't had anyone give him trouble; the most confrontation he's gotten is bums asking for change or cigarettes. Even when I've walked or biked around the neighborhood after dark the worst I had was a crazy old woman cursing loudly at me. Old Louisville isn't a "war zone" as you put it, but I have heard some blocks are known for prostitution and car break-ins. I don't know exactly which blocks those are but my block seems pretty safe--we live about two blocks away from Central Park, St. James Ct. and a police substation so that might have something to do with it.

About the blocks, in Old Louisville block-by-block can make a difference. A couple blocks of well-maintained single-family residences can be followed by slummish multi-family converted houses, followed then by an old folks' building, then a few houses of mostly college students, then a large apartment building, then... We have a "diverse" neighborhood indeed. I think people of every income bracket, education level, skin tone, immigration status, age, occupation and political viewpoint live here.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,739,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Gazela View Post
As a resident of Old Louisville, I recommend my neighborhood.

New Albany -- YES! Crossing the bridge would be a pain. I cross the I-64 (eastbound) bridge nearly every morning; sure, it's not as bad as I-65 during rush hour, but it's still bad. You never know when and where the "big slowdown" is going to start.

South Louisville -- When I first moved to Louisville I checked out Southern Parkway, and I too thought it was nice. BUT...it seems rentals are few and you'd probably have to live in a converted house if you lived in an apartment along there (not the same as living in a converted Victorian mansion, like in Old Louisville). Other than Southern Parkway I haven't seen anywhere appealing to live in that area.

Old Louisville -- Apartments are a good mix between converted mansions and actual apartment buildings (I live in one of the latter). Rent in your range is ubiquitous. Getting to downtown is easy, whether you drive, bike or walk. Best to avoid first street around morning rush hour and about 2-3 o'clock because of schools letting out. Going on I-65 between downtown and Old Louisville can be convienient and slightly quicker than taking the numbered streets, depending on how close you live to the interstate. As for parking, you are right that it's often on the street. Some apartments have private parking but most do not. The only times I encounter parking issues is early morning on weekends when I get home from work; when I say "parking issues" I mean I might have to take time to parallel park instead of simply sliding in front of or behind another vehicle.

My husband works downtown near 4th Street Live and he walks back from work every night to our apartment. He hasn't had anyone give him trouble; the most confrontation he's gotten is bums asking for change or cigarettes. Even when I've walked or biked around the neighborhood after dark the worst I had was a crazy old woman cursing loudly at me. Old Louisville isn't a "war zone" as you put it, but I have heard some blocks are known for prostitution and car break-ins. I don't know exactly which blocks those are but my block seems pretty safe--we live about two blocks away from Central Park, St. James Ct. and a police substation so that might have something to do with it.

About the blocks, in Old Louisville block-by-block can make a difference. A couple blocks of well-maintained single-family residences can be followed by slummish multi-family converted houses, followed then by an old folks' building, then a few houses of mostly college students, then a large apartment building, then... We have a "diverse" neighborhood indeed. I think people of every income bracket, education level, skin tone, immigration status, age, occupation and political viewpoint live here.
Excellent excellent post. Keep it coming to help dispel the myths about one of the south's most diverse, dense, historic, and walkable hoods.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:40 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
I went to check out Old Louisville yesterday and take photos (see photo thread). I'm very impressed. I can safely say that its the best neighborhood for me.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:18 PM

9 posts, read 23,351 times
Guess this depends what you want out of your lifestyle as well. Louisville has much more to offer than New Albany; but then again, New Albany is just a couple of minutes away.

Indiana taxes are generally less (i.e. income tax) than Kentucky but New Albany - in my opinion - does not offer a quality lifestyle.

Living in both places, I found there is a divide in how the two side of the Ohio River interact. For some reason, doesn't seem like one side liked to venture over to the other unless they had to.

Personally, enjoyed my time in Louisville more. Hope this helps.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,843 times
Try Barrington Place Apts. in downtown. Studio for $510/mo. and includes LG&E.
Walk to work like I do.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 17,994 times
If you're going to rent in old louisville check out:
Old Louisville Guide

They have apartment listings on that site as well as a wealth of other information about the area.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 PM

157 posts, read 475,300 times
WARNING if you live in Old Louisville zip code 40203 and you have a car: insurance rates are REALLY HIGH! If you live in the 40208 zip (just a bit south) rates are significantly lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: