U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 PM

22,998 posts, read 31,942,334 times

Advertisements

I have been here since May. My two biggest frustrations have been finding quality employment and finding a good church. The former may resolved soon but the latter is still a problem. I know living in Hardin County (Vine Grove/Radcliff) there ain't too many 20-somethings period. I have found this in the churches in Hardin County which mainly consist of older married couples. It's this dissatisfaction with churches here that I'm willing to drive to Louisville to find a good church. Here is what I want in my church.

- Gotta have some 20-something ministry preferably singles.
- Contemporary spirit-filled worship.
- Open to any Protestant denomination or non-denominational church.
- Would like to avoid prosperity gospel.
- I don't want to be the only black guy there.
- I would prefer something closer to SW Louisville, at least until I figure out a way to move to Louisville proper. I may just visit one Sunday a month until I actually move to Louisville.

So any suggestions?

Last edited by The Dissenter; 10-17-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,476,629 times
Alan, you are in one tough position. I completely understand the dilema you are dealing with. My wife and I have been dealing with the same issues recently. We were perfectly happy with what we thought were people of common faith until mid-summer when we asked one-to-many questions.

In our search, we have gravitated back to St. Matthews Baptist. I can't speak to your laundry list, but I can share this, they are not "in the Al Mohler loop." Faith at SMBC is personal. It's your faith, your priesthood at SMBC.

There is a contemporary service at 8:30 which is well attended and fully supported by the congregation.

We are making an extended drive to SMBC passing several churches, but worth every mile and moment.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I have been here since May. My two biggest frustrations have been finding quality employment and finding a good church. The former may resolved soon but the latter is still a problem. I know living in Hardin County (Vine Grove/Radcliff) there ain't too many 20-somethings period. I have found this in the churches in Hardin County which mainly consist of older married couples. It's this dissatisfaction with churches here that I'm willing to drive to Louisville to find a good church. Here is what I want in my church.

- Gotta have some 20-something ministry preferably singles.
- Contemporary spirit-filled worship.
- Open to any Protestant denomination or non-denominational church.
- Would like to avoid prosperity gospel.
- I don't want to be the only black guy there.
- I would prefer something closer to SW Louisville, at least until I figure out a way to move to Louisville proper. I may just visit one Sunday a month until I actually move to Louisville.

So any suggestions?
I would look strongly at Sojourn. At least give them a try. I think it will have everything you want. It is located in Germantown on the edge of smoketown.

Sojourn Midtown | Sojourn Community Church

It does tend to be mostly white but all are young and very hip and accepting of all people.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 AM

BTW, the most racially diverse churches are going to be in Old Louisville, which is the city's (and likely one of the south's) most racially integrated neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM

163 posts, read 371,276 times
As far as the non-demoninational churches go, I've never been, but the Unitarian Universalist congregations might be worth looking into. For more info: UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations Maybe someone else can provide more info on these local congregations.

Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 246
4936 Brownsboro Rd
www.tjuc.org

First Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 215
809 S 4th St
First Unitarian Church - a Welcoming Congregation

Clifton Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 60
2231 Payne St.
www.cliftonuu.org

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
As far as the non-demoninational churches go, I've never been, but the Unitarian Universalist congregations might be worth looking into. For more info: UUA: Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations Maybe someone else can provide more info on these local congregations.

Thomas Jefferson Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 246
4936 Brownsboro Rd
www.tjuc.org

First Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 215
809 S 4th St
First Unitarian Church - a Welcoming Congregation

Clifton Unitarian Church
Number of Members: 60
2231 Payne St.
www.cliftonuu.org

Yes, that is the one. First Unitarian is in "SoBro" the area between Old Louisville and downtown. I have heard it is diverse and leans younger, although I know a lot of old people go there too. Same with Clifton.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I can't really see myself in the Unitarian tradition. I will check out the Sojurn church. Also found another decent contender.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM

22 posts, read 34,896 times
I would also suggest Sojourn on Mary St. although I have never been there (when it was a church. It's the old Shelby Elementary school which I know well.) I have read articles about the church, and it seems to be diverse, and "cater" to younger people like yourself. Good luck, honey........this said in a motherly tone.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM

101 posts, read 170,548 times
Crossroads Community Church / Welcome! / Home

Elizabethtown.

Contemporary Christian music, young church, young people, some middle age, a supportive, non-judgemental church.
Non denominational. Mixed race congregation.
'Take your shoes off', comfortable, high energy, 'one big family' kind of church.
Awesome band/worship team.
11am service.... they sometimes have service/picnic at Freeman Lake in the warm months.

Its a fairly small church so there is no singles ministry yet, but I think you would be very comfortable there. Give a visit at least once to see if you like it, can't hurt!

Last edited by meintennessee; 10-20-2010 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: added a thought, punctuation

Old 10-24-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meintennessee View Post
Crossroads Community Church / Welcome! / Home

Elizabethtown.

Contemporary Christian music, young church, young people, some middle age, a supportive, non-judgemental church.
Non denominational. Mixed race congregation.
'Take your shoes off', comfortable, high energy, 'one big family' kind of church.
Awesome band/worship team.
11am service.... they sometimes have service/picnic at Freeman Lake in the warm months.

Its a fairly small church so there is no singles ministry yet, but I think you would be very comfortable there. Give a visit at least once to see if you like it, can't hurt!
I made a visit to this church today. I was VERY impressed. I especially love the 11am start. Thank you for this suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area