U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM

10 posts, read 15,155 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be traveling to Louisville next week to spend some time with my sister, who recently moved there from Dallas. I'll have some time to myself and we will spend some together- can anyone help me out with the must-see, must-have, must-do locations? I love to shop, so any great mall or retail recommendations would be appreciated; eating out is always nice, so the best restaurants and fast food locations would be good to know; also, are there any events or cultural places we should hit up besides the baseball museum? Any amazing seasonal decorations or activities? Any help would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:33 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,027,972 times
There is so much to do in our city, where do I begin. If you like sports, they just built a new arena downtown whcih is amazing. I've not been inside but at one time they were doing tours. It's right on the River Front and some good restaurants down there like "Joe's Crabshack". Going east from downtown on River Road is the "Louisville Bats". Not sure if they are playing during this season, but that is something else to do. Keep going down River Road and there is another good restaurant called "Tumbleweed". Keep driving on River Road and you'll run into the Water Tower which has some art inside there. They do have numerous of events thru the year, so maybe something will be going on. Next door to that is another restaurant, "Kingfish". Keep driving down River Road and eventually you'll run into "Captain Quarter's". They have a great weekend buffet there and music during the week sometime.

Another good area of town is Westport Road at Westport Village. They have numerous of restaurants and you just have to try "Wild Eggs" . There also is an Italian Restaurant there, ice-cream shop, etc. There is lot of shops there from back packing to really unique shops that you don't find in the malls.

As far as shopping goes in the malls, there is Oxmoor and Shelbyville Road Plaza. Both are on Shelbyville Road. Both has tons of restaurants, and stores you will find in the city your from. I hope I have helped you out, if not post another message. I hope you have a good time here

Old 11-30-2010, 09:49 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,307,945 times
If anyone is a baseball fan, the Louisville Slugger Museum is great. For history fans, our Frazier Museum is terrific for a small, new museum. Both are on Main Street in the downtown area. Both highly recommended.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM

9,770 posts, read 21,073,323 times
Falls of the Ohio Intra-state park has one of the largest exposed fossil beds in the world. It's located just across from Downtown via the Clark Bridge (US 31).

The Speed Art Museum is a really nice free museum on the University of Louisville's Belknap (main) campus about 2 miles south of Downtown. They have ancient artifacts from Rome and Egypt as well as lots of paintings.

That are several neat museums on West Main. You could park in one spot and walked to them and then walk down a couple of blocks and eat/ shop at 4th Street Live.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:49 AM

80 posts, read 176,825 times
If you like to party, 4th street and Bardstown Road. Just walk around too, it's a great place. Hope you have fun!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM

12 posts, read 21,740 times
First, drive down Main Street downtown. On main street you will find the new Yum Center where UofL plays basketball. You will also find the 21c Hotel, which is consistently rated among the best hotels in the U.S. You can go inside and take a tour of the hotel and the art gallery that it has for free. You also have the Slugger Museum, the Louisville Science Center, Frazier Museum of History, Louisville Slugger Field, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Just over on Market Street is Glassworks, where you can watch people blow glass and create beautiful glass projects. You can even take a quick class if you want. Oh, and let me not forget 4th Street Live, which is worth a visit as well.

Outside of downtown, I would at least drive by Churchill Downs. You can visit the museum there if you like. Not far from there is the University of Louisville campus with the Speed Museum and Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

I would also pay a visit to the Highlands area, and the shops up and down Bardstown Road. There are a variety of restaurants there too.

As far as shopping goes, you can hit two malls in pretty much one parking lot by hitting the St. Matthews and Oxmoor malls. St. Matthews has a Cheesecake Factory restaurant. Yang Kee Noodle in Oxmoor is also good.

As far as some local restaurants that aren't chains, you should try Ollies Trolley in downtown Louisville for lunch. It is only open during lunch hours, but has the best burgers around and seasoned fries that are excellent. Also have breakfast at Lynn's Paradise Cafe. For some good pizza, try Impellizzeris, Wicks, Spinelli's, and Papalinos (I've heard great things about this place but haven't tried it yet). For barbeque I love Shack In The Back in the Fairdale area, also Jucy's in the east end. For Mexican fare, try Qdoba, El Nopal, El Tarasco, and I'm sure there are other good places (there's no shortage of Mexican restaurants around). I could probably go on and on, but I'll stop there.

Some nice parks (the weather may not be nice enough to enjoy them) would be Cherokee, Iroquois, Jefferson Memorial Forest, etc. There's also some nice parks along the Ohio River, such as Waterfront Park.

Actually, I think you can go to the Louisville Zoo as well. I'm pretty sure that it's open. Now, how nice a stroll around it would be in the winter, I don't know.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the city while you're here.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 PM

6,545 posts, read 13,703,129 times
I have to disagree with some of the restaurant ideas here.

I would direct the OP to Commentary | LouisvilleHotBytes.com free forum for ideas. Join and make a post!

That said you absolutely cannot miss Proof, Blind Pig, and 732 Social. I'd argue they're as good or better than anything I have had in Dallas.

I'd also check out Havana Rumba, Mojito, and 610 Magnolia should you like super uspcale, and also Molly Malone's and Oshea's for bars (check their websites as they have several locations, most of which are busy on the weekends).

For Italian, I would try Volare, or for more home style Italian, Le Gallo Russo.

The best Mexican is clearly La Rosita in New Albany, although there are some great authentic taqueria's on Eastern Boulevard in Clarksville and Preston Highway in Louisville.

Lousiville is a wealth of restaurants and has some great indie shopping, but the chain shopping there is quite poor when compared to Dallas. I wouldn't bother with the malls...I would instead shop at some of the neighborhood boutiques. You will find many lining Frankfort Avenue, Bardstown Road, and the heart of St Matthews.

Here are some more helpful sites.
Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide
Home | Louisville's Alt-Weekly | LEO Weekly
Consuming Louisville* *
www.backseatsandbar.org
Broken Sidewalk - Covering Louisville Neighborhoods

Should you be in town the first or last friday of the month, do not miss the first Friday Gallery hop on Market street or the last Friday on Frankfort Ave.

If you get more specific with your age, marital status, and preferences, I may be able to help more.

For seasonal decorations, I hear the Kaleightoscope exhibit at the Galt House is quite cool. I also have heard from a friend that lives in the New Urbanist Norton Commons that the Xmas decorations there this year are quite good.
I do agree with the above statement that you must stay in the 21C hotel. It got rated number one in North America by Conde Naste and is a must see. Rooms can be booked on priceline for under 150 a night! It is also in a quaint little museum district. I would also recommend the Muhammad Ali Museum in addition to the other museums mentioned (all of which are quite small museums but quaint and nice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or