Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,316 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info, Peter1948. My days are numbered in my apartment so I better start calling around I wish there was another place where all of us who have ever lost the roofs over our heads can live temporarily instead of your typical homeless shelters which are more suitable for those who are and have been homeless for years. I feel like I'll be taking away space from someone who is needier than me.
Thanks again for all your help, Peter! God bless you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyporteno View Post
Thanks for the info, Peter1948. My days are numbered in my apartment so I better start calling around I wish there was another place where all of us who have ever lost the roofs over our heads can live temporarily instead of your typical homeless shelters which are more suitable for those who are and have been homeless for years. I feel like I'll be taking away space from someone who is needier than me.
Not for free! The other option is applying for an apartment that is around 350/month and includes all utilities and eating daily at soup kitchens. Portland would be a good area to look on craigslist for that.

There is also a website called https://www.couchsurfing.org/n/place...-united-states

I bet someone would let you crash on their couch for awhile, as long as you aren't a drunk/drug addict and maybe you can offer them services (lawn work, cleaning, cooking) for rent. That may be your best bet while you really work your tail to look for jobs. Cancel your internet, your cell phone, anything you may have that is not food, shelter, or clothes. Sell it all. Good luck, I am in FL.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM

Thanks again, Peter1948, for another valuable tip. I will look into that website, as well. You're from Orlando? I lived for 10 years in your state. A few years in Miami, then Lighthouse Point, Pompano Beach and lastly, in Ocala, not far from your town. What a coincidence, huh?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:30 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Thanks again, Peter1948, for another valuable tip. I will look into that website, as well. You're from Orlando? I lived for 10 years in your state. A few years in Miami, then Lighthouse Point, Pompano Beach and lastly, in Ocala, not far from your town. What a coincidence, huh?
No problem my friend. I hope your fortune turns soon, and I think it will. You may want to look into seasonal jobs with one of the distributors like Amazon? I hear they are hiring thousands in Louisville. If you are a good hard worker, they are likely to hire you full time.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM

I have done seasonal work thru temp agencies. That's one reason why I'm homeless. I would not hear from them for weeks and months at a time. I've used several of them since they are the only ones willing to find work for me. I call them periodically but when they don't have work for me, I have had to look for other avenues. Short of pimping, selling illicit drugs or robbing banks, I have pretty much turned all the stones I care to turn over to find work. But when it's not in the cards, what are you gonna do? I talked to a case manager at St. Vincent de Paul's. The house is pretty darn depressing to look at. I'm seriously contemplating on hanging out at the nearest Rest Area here in Louisville and seeing how long I survive without eating "real" food, as opposed to the junk food in their vending machines. I can see the local news now: "decomposing body found inside parked car." What else am I going to do? Hang out at the airport terminal like Tom Hanks in that movie, "The Terminal?" There's way too many cameras and cops in places like that.
I'll check out that couch surfing website that you sent me sometime ago. But if nothing materializes from that, Rest Area, here I come!

Old 10-10-2013, 08:39 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
Salvation army helped me out a few times when I was in your position.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:46 PM

I never considered the Salvation Army before but I guess it's worth a shot to find out if they can help me.
Thanks, Arleigh.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 866 times
I am not homeless but I do realize this could easily be any one of us. I think the mayor(s) should be approached and petitioned for arrangement for not only a mass parking space for the homeless living in their cars, so they can have a safe and okay place to be without getting hassled and moved; but also where there are bathroom and washup facilities available on the premises so the homeless in their cars (and maybe not in cars) can have a safe and inviting place to be clean and take care of nature's needs too. It is absolutely not acceptable that people should be forgotten and live like this...but we've got govt. officials in charge who do not give two bottle caps about the less fortunate - ESPECIALLY the homeless. At least the governor AND mayor of our city in Louisville, Kentucky are DEMOCRATS - who have a better track record of at least SOME empathy for regular people down on their luck. A security guard could be posted at the site in order to protect THE HOMELESS PEOPLE there from being bothered by ill-willed individuals. Until those who are homeless AND car-less can have their situation rectified, this place wherever it can be arranged can offer sleeping bags and plenty of floor space over night. Finally, I think it would be more than fair for a place like this to NOT KICK THEM ALL OUT AT 7:00am every morning! Some of them already are the "working homeless"; but for the rest... WHY treat them as "the accused" and make them wander the streets??? For people to complain of pan handling. Or trying to find some place to not be moved on from? Let them stay on the premises of rescue that can be offered if they have no place to go. Thank you for hearing my 2 cents on this subject, and God Bless and Keep you.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:32 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times
Quote:
"Yo soy porteño" hmmmmm .....Sos un Argentino que vive en los EEUU? Los unicos porteños que conozco yo son aquellos de la ciudad de Buenos Aires Argentina

( forgive my spanish folks, unless I'm wrong, this gentlemen is from outside of the US originally.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area