Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 05:58 AM

2 posts, read 24,498 times

Advertisements

I'm 26 years old and I will soon be homeless. After doing a bit of research, I don't think homeless shelters will be an option for me.

I have a job, but it's less than part time, as they only schedule me for one or two days out of the week, paying minimum wage at $7.25 an hour.

I feel that it would be easier to be invisible migrating through the streets than it would be in a fixed area, like a homeless shelter filled with crime, beg bugs, lice, assault, and rape (as I've read).

I have a bit of money in my bank account, a duffle bag, clothes, hygiene products, and my student card to ride the Tarc for free. I will also try my hardest to upkeep myself, as I do now.

Crashing with other people is not an option. I would rather be a bum on the street than to put myself in a situation to where my staying would possibly drag another person's living situation down, or to put myself in a situation where one would call me a free loader.

I'm not the type of person to accept help (other than word of advice from others) because what I've learned through observation is that these are usually (not always), the same type of people who love to bring it up against you in a way that will make one feel inferior, or in a way that they actually think they're superior over you.

So where can I go?

Now I know that it's not safe to live on Louisville's streets, but in case there is a place less likely to get hurt, I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 24,498 times
Please answer within the first few hours if you can because after this, I'm not sure as to when I will be able to respond.

I will be giving my laptop away for a friend to hold for me because I don't want to get it stolen while I'm homeless. For some odd reason, there's a feeling in my heart that I need to hold onto it, as it contains many documents and plans for a business dream that I have.

Also, after I leave this place, it's not guaranteed that I will get to a place with internet access right away.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msstarryeyed View Post
Please answer within the first few hours if you can because after this, I'm not sure as to when I will be able to respond.

I will be giving my laptop away for a friend to hold for me because I don't want to get it stolen while I'm homeless. For some odd reason, there's a feeling in my heart that I need to hold onto it, as it contains many documents and plans for a business dream that I have.

Also, after I leave this place, it's not guaranteed that I will get to a place with internet access right away.
geez, can't that friend allow you time to get on your feet and let you sleep on their couch for a bit? If you had nowhere to go, I would lean towards sleeping in Cherokee Park. Make sure you stay far enough off the road that police could not see you. That area is very safe and away from the riff raff of the homeless that live downtown, and the area is of course very walkable and well connected to TARC with the Bardstown lines being perhaps the most serviceable in the metro. Good luck to you!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:29 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
I know you don't want to stay with friends - but it will be easier to work out of your situation if you aren't on the streets. If you can get anadditional part time job, it would help - and it is going to be difficult to maintain yourself in interview condition if you are on the streets.

My heart goes out to you and I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msstarryeyed View Post
I'm 26 years old and I will soon be homeless. After doing a bit of research, I don't think homeless shelters will be an option for me.

I have a job, but it's less than part time, as they only schedule me for one or two days out of the week, paying minimum wage at $7.25 an hour.

I feel that it would be easier to be invisible migrating through the streets than it would be in a fixed area, like a homeless shelter filled with crime, beg bugs, lice, assault, and rape (as I've read).

I have a bit of money in my bank account, a duffle bag, clothes, hygiene products, and my student card to ride the Tarc for free. I will also try my hardest to upkeep myself, as I do now.

Crashing with other people is not an option. I would rather be a bum on the street than to put myself in a situation to where my staying would possibly drag another person's living situation down, or to put myself in a situation where one would call me a free loader.

I'm not the type of person to accept help (other than word of advice from others) because what I've learned through observation is that these are usually (not always), the same type of people who love to bring it up against you in a way that will make one feel inferior, or in a way that they actually think they're superior over you.

So where can I go?

Now I know that it's not safe to live on Louisville's streets, but in case there is a place less likely to get hurt, I would like to know.

Can't you contact social services and see if you can get on some sort of assistance? I don't know a thing about it, but I read sometimes they give cell phones to homeless, to help with job search. I know you need more than that----my mother said during the Depression people slept in all-night movie theaters, but the cost of a ticket would be more than you make.

I know what you mean about accepting help. Last summer, I fell and injured my back. My ds went out 3 times and brought me in a MCD. Which was appreciated, but he continues to throw that up in my face, how I couldn't even crawl and he "had" to go get me food. I wish now I'd thrown the MCD back in his face. I know what you mean about accepting help, its an invitation to scorn.

Good luck and God Bless---BTW, does your city have a 211 service? They do in some cities, it puts you in touch with social services, what's available in your area, etc. Probably not much you haven;t already head of, but worth a try.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
Oh, another idea, I realize this will sound like an insult and I don't mean it like that, but have you considered being a "squatter" in an abandonded home? I read that happens a lot in Detroit, I don't know if it happens where you're at, but in Detroit a lot of homes are abandonded and people just move in, at least its something----sorry, wish I had something nicer to say.....

have you considered joining the military?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM

114 posts, read 358,439 times
I would suggest that you check out this site:
Homeless Forums - Powered by vBulletin
There should be people on there or people who could answer you questions.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:52 PM

22 posts, read 77,870 times
Its really extremely dangerous to be sleeping on the streets. You do not know what types of folks you may run into, who may do you harm! Talk to the Salvation Army. There are several women's and men's shelters downtown that offer temporary housing and career training. You need support. I would say sleeping outside is absolutely not an option! Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM

6 posts, read 15,310 times
I realize that this posting is 2 years too late but I decided to put in my 2 cents worth as I am about to become homeless at the end of this month due to chronic unemployment and extremely low funds in my bank account. I, too, am trying to decide where to go from here. I would like to go to a shelter and I realize how bad they can be but after being reminded by your posting, I am having second thoughts about applying to get into one now which still leaves me out in the cold. There's obviously a lot more unemployed people in Louisville than I thought because most jobs that I am able to get usually come from temp agencies and it's taking them forever and a day to call me with job assignments. Does anyone know of shelters for people left homeless by this stinking economy of ours?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoyporteno View Post
I realize that this posting is 2 years too late but I decided to put in my 2 cents worth as I am about to become homeless at the end of this month due to chronic unemployment and extremely low funds in my bank account. I, too, am trying to decide where to go from here. I would like to go to a shelter and I realize how bad they can be but after being reminded by your posting, I am having second thoughts about applying to get into one now which still leaves me out in the cold. There's obviously a lot more unemployed people in Louisville than I thought because most jobs that I am able to get usually come from temp agencies and it's taking them forever and a day to call me with job assignments. Does anyone know of shelters for people left homeless by this stinking economy of ours?
Sorry about your plight. Here is a list:

Louisville Homeless Shelters and Services - Louisville KY Homeless Shelters - Louisville Kentucky Homeless Shelters

I used to volunteer at the Healing Place. Sure there are a lot of bad apples there, but there are really some men who have turned their lives around from addiction and they help you get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area