U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,713 times

Advertisements

In advance of my move I have started kicking around online for a place to live, things to do, etc and have a few questions. Any help will be appreciated.

I will be working in the Cherokee Triangle area and would like to live within a few miles so I can walk or bike to work as much as possible. I've been looking for nearby rentals (Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hills, Germantown) in the form of houses or small (2-8 unit) buildings as I would prefer to avoid complexes. Any guess as to whether or not I am going to need to fly out to check places out with some rental agents if I don't want to settle for an apartment complex that has an online presence?

I grew up sailing and would like to do some dinghy sailing around the area. How is the sailing on the Ohio river and are there any good sailing lakes nearby? Anyone know much about the Louisville Sailing club?

I'm planning on joining a gym. I've been paying $28 per month which I'm guessing will be lower than what I find in Louisville. I just need a place to toss around some free weights. Any ideas?

Along the lines of entertainment, I'm looking for live music along the blues, bluegrass, and jazz genres. Also, I would love to know of any jam groups along these same lines as I play guitar, a little mandolin, and am trying to get back into clarinet.

Thanks for indulging another new resident.

~W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:54 AM

3,837 posts, read 8,186,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
In advance of my move I have started kicking around online for a place to live, things to do, etc and have a few questions. Any help will be appreciated.

I will be working in the Cherokee Triangle area and would like to live within a few miles so I can walk or bike to work as much as possible. I've been looking for nearby rentals (Highlands, Clifton, Crescent Hills, Germantown) in the form of houses or small (2-8 unit) buildings as I would prefer to avoid complexes. Any guess as to whether or not I am going to need to fly out to check places out with some rental agents if I don't want to settle for an apartment complex that has an online presence?

I grew up sailing and would like to do some dinghy sailing around the area. How is the sailing on the Ohio river and are there any good sailing lakes nearby? Anyone know much about the Louisville Sailing club?

I'm planning on joining a gym. I've been paying $28 per month which I'm guessing will be lower than what I find in Louisville. I just need a place to toss around some free weights. Any ideas?

Along the lines of entertainment, I'm looking for live music along the blues, bluegrass, and jazz genres. Also, I would love to know of any jam groups along these same lines as I play guitar, a little mandolin, and am trying to get back into clarinet.

Thanks for indulging another new resident.

~W
As chief moderator of this forum for 4 years, I must state we have had an absolute deluge of new people moving here with first time posts. I guess the artist/hipster vibe that Louisille is putting out is starting to make it out.

Long story short, you have the right idea. Look in those areas on criaglist and possibly leoweekly and couri-journal classifieds. The problem with many of these places is you often need to see them in person ,and b, the best places often are not advertised. I would stay away from the large, chain owned, corporate complexes you see on apartments.com. These are mostly bland suburban complexes where you are disconnected.

I would really try to shoot for cherokee triangle or lower highlands so you can walk to work, as it seems to fit your lifestyle.

The sailing club is good I hear and rowing is also big on the Ohio river. Nearby the closest decent sized like is Taylorsville Lake in Spencer County about 35 mins from downtown, and this would fit your needs. So would lake Patoka in In, which is around 40 mins from downtown and is surprisingly a pretty big and good lake. There are tns of much larger lakes in southern and western ky, but these require upwards of 2-3 hour drives.

Not a music guy so cannot help you tooo much, but let me throw out a few names of some music shops and link you to some sites:
Backseat Sandbar most helpful for some local music stuff
Home | Louisville's Alt-Weekly | LEO Weekly
www.consuminglouisville.com
Metromix | Your Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide
The Courier-Journal | Louisville news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Louisville, KY | courier-journal.com
LouisvilleHotBytes.com (please dont eat at chains here there is so many great indies!)

The holy grail of music shops in louisville is www.earx-tacy.com. they recently moved to a smaller store but they are the epicenter of the city's music scene. Please support them as the local record store is a dying breed.

also check out the doowop shop for your guitar needs.
some local bars with some good music include stevie ray's blues bar, zanzabar, uncle pleasant's, headliners etc. on second look, it appears backseatsandbar links you in pretty well into the "scene" and has some places listed in the right side of its page with links. I suggest you start learning things by following everyone of those links.

This place is AWESOME and very well located:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2315103650.html (broken link)
Price wise it is considered to be in the luxury range. The average 2 bed is actually more like 800. Any apartment less than 600 in a good neighborhood is likely to have some flaw (tough parking, no washer/dryer, old kitchen, etc so be sure to do your homework). Unfortunately the best way to do it is probably to scout out a plan of around 15 places to see online, then fly out and view them over 3-4 days. In the meantime you may view for rent signs in yards. Some places/streets are so popular they need only advertise with a yard sign, especially in the Highlands, of which Cherokee Triangle is a subhood.

I really like this one too

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2313227421.html (broken link)

wow this one is a steal if you just want a small "pad to crash". fully furnished and all utlities cannot be beat in this neighborhood at this price:
http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/2312403856.html (broken link)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/sea...Ask=&bedrooms=

Just some ideas....good luck and welcome.

Last edited by Peter1948; 04-12-2011 at 02:05 AM..

Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,713 times
Thanks so much for all of the info. This will be a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area