U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: New Albany, IN
832 posts, read 1,314,917 times
Reputation: 1125

Advertisements

I ask because I moved here (New Albany) six months ago and I still feel like a Kentucky resident (if no longer a Louisville resident because I'll be missing my Central Park and Victorian facades this summer ). I'm asking if others in Floyd, Clark (and even Harrison?) counties "feel closer" to Kentucky, Indiana or to both.

The biggest reason I still feel like I'm a Kentuckian is because of our local media--all of it is for Louisville and Kentucky, and S. Indiana is the afterthought...Yes we're a suburb, that's why. For example I care about the politics of Kentucky and when someone mentions Indiana politics I don't know and don't care about it. I don't even know the important politicians of my state and region--I know the mayor's name, and I know the governor's name, and that's it. Another example is that we get KET loud and clear (68s and 15s), and every time I turn it on it's bluegrass, horses, bourbon, history of Bardstown, etc. Not that it bothers me...I like that kind of stuff. But I don't know that kind of stuff about Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2011, 04:23 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 4,986,524 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
I ask because I moved here (New Albany) six months ago and I still feel like a Kentucky resident (if no longer a Louisville resident because I'll be missing my Central Park and Victorian facades this summer ). I'm asking if others in Floyd, Clark (and even Harrison?) counties "feel closer" to Kentucky, Indiana or to both.

The biggest reason I still feel like I'm a Kentuckian is because of our local media--all of it is for Louisville and Kentucky, and S. Indiana is the afterthought...Yes we're a suburb, that's why. For example I care about the politics of Kentucky and when someone mentions Indiana politics I don't know and don't care about it. I don't even know the important politicians of my state and region--I know the mayor's name, and I know the governor's name, and that's it. Another example is that we get KET loud and clear (68s and 15s), and every time I turn it on it's bluegrass, horses, bourbon, history of Bardstown, etc. Not that it bothers me...I like that kind of stuff. But I don't know that kind of stuff about Indiana.
Curious what is a 68 and 15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 06:53 AM
 
798 posts, read 1,939,882 times
Reputation: 549
The way anyone feels is likely going to be directly related to where they started or have spent the most time. I was born in raised in IN a little farther from louisville. We got both Louisville and Indianapolis news stations, but I felt far more connected to Indiana. Since I have been transitioning into a move to Louisville (into your old neighborhood of Old Louisville apparently) I have developed a greater appreciation for the city and love a lot of aspects of it, but IN will always be home.

This isn't a documented fact or anything, but I get the feeling that for people in southern Indiana the level of connection to Louisville/KY depends on which community you live in. In Jeffersonville or Clarksville, you're only a few miles from downtown and it feels much more like an extension of the city. New Albany seems more disconnected, like more of a small town near Louisville than a suburb of it. Once you get to Galena, which is only 15 minutes or so outside of downtown, it feels like you are out in the country and more a part of Indiana. Harrison County is definitely more connected to Indiana. It's far enough away from the city to definitely have it's own identity and I'd say the fact that it was Indiana's first state capitol definitely locks it into the IN side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: New Albany, IN
832 posts, read 1,314,917 times
Reputation: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Curious what is a 68 and 15
Hahaha sorry about that...I still have a "rabbit ear" antenna for my TV. Channel 15 is Louisville's KET channel (Kentucky Educational Television; like channel 11 in Chicago or channel 10 in Milwaukee) and channel 68 is the same station (with the same programs) except I think it's for S. Indiana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
The way anyone feels is likely going to be directly related to where they started or have spent the most time. I was born in raised in IN a little farther from louisville. We got both Louisville and Indianapolis news stations, but I felt far more connected to Indiana. Since I have been transitioning into a move to Louisville (into your old neighborhood of Old Louisville apparently) I have developed a greater appreciation for the city and love a lot of aspects of it, but IN will always be home.

This isn't a documented fact or anything, but I get the feeling that for people in southern Indiana the level of connection to Louisville/KY depends on which community you live in. In Jeffersonville or Clarksville, you're only a few miles from downtown and it feels much more like an extension of the city. New Albany seems more disconnected, like more of a small town near Louisville than a suburb of it. Once you get to Galena, which is only 15 minutes or so outside of downtown, it feels like you are out in the country and more a part of Indiana. Harrison County is definitely more connected to Indiana. It's far enough away from the city to definitely have it's own identity and I'd say the fact that it was Indiana's first state capitol definitely locks it into the IN side of things.
Hmm...Well I can see that because New Albany has a lot going for itself and Jeffersonville and especially Clarksville seem like typical suburbs for Louisville...I think the reason I feel like I'm still in Kentucky is that I didn't grow up around here; I lived in Louisville a little over two years and then moved to New Albany, so I think I'm still an ignorant newcomer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,200 posts, read 3,677,446 times
Reputation: 1359
First, with respect to media, keep in mind that the Louisville metro area has a population of 1,307,647. Of that number, 184,810 people live on the Indiana side of the river, leaving 1,122,837 people living in Kentucky. This is why Indiana is an afterthought, but still well covered IMO!

With that said, I feel equal ties to both. I'm a Hoosier first, and I plan to go to IU in a few years for my MPP/MS degrees. Also, most of my tax money goes to Indianapolis. Louisville gets some, and that is where my job is located....so I spend about an equal amount of time in both Kentucky and Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
2,200 posts, read 3,677,446 times
Reputation: 1359
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
In Jeffersonville or Clarksville, you're only a few miles from downtown and it feels much more like an extension of the city. New Albany seems more disconnected, like more of a small town near Louisville than a suburb of it.
The sad part is that in the mornings, it seems like it is quicker to get into downtown from New Albany than from Jeff/Clark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL SouthWest Suburbs
3,528 posts, read 4,986,524 times
Reputation: 6112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Hahaha sorry about that...I still have a "rabbit ear" antenna for my TV. Channel 15 is Louisville's KET channel (Kentucky Educational Television; like channel 11 in Chicago or channel 10 in Milwaukee) and channel 68 is the same station (with the same programs) except I think it's for S. Indiana.



Hmm...Well I can see that because New Albany has a lot going for itself and Jeffersonville and especially Clarksville seem like typical suburbs for Louisville...I think the reason I feel like I'm still in Kentucky is that I didn't grow up around here; I lived in Louisville a little over two years and then moved to New Albany, so I think I'm still an ignorant newcomer .
Got it tv channels! I guess if i was thinking i would have figured that out!
any how thanks for telling me that one..

on a diff point to me when i drive thru southern indiana just north of kentucky it all feels like kentucky to me.

when i start to see the knobby hills is when i think its kentucky vs indiana
just south of columbus maybe 45 mins.

i always thought louisville was a pretty cool city
as a kid i used to love crossing the bridge over the river
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top