U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 AM

9,766 posts, read 21,046,187 times

Advertisements

Developers scrap plans for Louisville's Museum Plaza | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

It was probably questionable - in terms of need and scale - when it was proposed in good economic times, in the New Economy it simply isn't going to happen.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:07 AM

23,506 posts, read 33,212,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Developers scrap plans for Louisville's Museum Plaza | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

It was probably questionable - in terms of need and scale - when it was proposed in good economic times, in the New Economy it simply isn't going to happen.

Thoughts?
Other than potential jobs disappearing, I think not too many Louisvillians should be sad about this. Louisville has a nice sensible skyline for a city it's size. Why should we mess it up with a weird building that would detract from the rest of the skyline?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM

797 posts, read 1,996,895 times
Man, I decide to make some toast first, and two people beat me to posting this. I am so glad this thing is going away. It looked completely out of place, would have led to worse traffic problems with Main St. being the only way to it, and they were going to destroy a beautiful little courtyard to put in a ramp to the building.

Frankly, I think all that money would be much better spent on urban developments throughout the neighborhoods. Downtown is coming along nicely without another skyscraper. How much better could the run down neighborhoods near U of L become if the university took the space they were going to utilize in Museum Plaza and invested in the areas closer to campus?

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

I think they should add an exhibit at the Muhammad Ali Center where people can punch the politicians who poured lots of tax dollars for a hole in the ground along the I-64 waterfront. (the state got into this mess as well; not just the city)

I'm starting to think Louisville getting the arena was an act of God. It took this place 30 years to "build" one bridge for I-265 (according to the project timeline, I'll believe it when I see it), and it took 15 years just to finish painting a bridge that already existed. I love a lot of things about that city, but issues such as M P aren't one of them!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM

146 posts, read 364,766 times
Thank God! What a horrific looking building it was to be. Put a 20 story office building there and let it be.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,367,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Kentuckian View Post
Thank God! What a horrific looking building it was to be. Put a 20 story office building there and let it be.
agreed. i thought the design was hideous.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Already developers have proposed a new project at the same location. They're calling this one Museum Pile. here's a rendering

Old 08-01-2011, 06:15 PM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 245,290 times
WhooHoo! What great news! I'm so relieved. I agree, it was horrific, hideous, and IMHO gaudy. I love 21C, but that museum building was over the top. And, it was going to kill the view for a bunch of condo owners that counted the view as amenity.

and censusdata said:
Quote:
I think they should add an exhibit at the Muhammad Ali Center where people can punch the politicians who poured lots of tax dollars for a hole in the ground along the I-64 waterfront. (the state got into this mess as well; not just the city)
OMG! What a great idea! All the attractions are always talking about how they wouild love to involve the locals. This is it!

I really want the new mayor's name on that list for the exhibit. I'd like to take a swing at him for his handling of Todd Blue and the Iron Quarter. It has been shameful.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, really. I just believe they're most likely related. Laura Lee Brown and her folks were throwing a bunch of their own cash at the museum. And she just recently stepped up to the plate to save the Iron Quarter/Whiskey Row from a mayor repaying a campaign debt, and a one-trick-pony that calls himself a developer. For that I will be eternally grateful to Ms. Brown and her group. I'm sure the financing for both projects at once would be overwhelming in this economy, even for Ms. Brown.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,259,626 times
What a surprise! This city can't even get enough money to build sidewalks or repave roads.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:13 AM

165 posts, read 262,996 times
As I posted elsewhere:

Quote:
Not suprising. With the economy falling into the second half of a double dip and no realistic prospects of recovery for a few more years, it'd have been impossible to keep such a big project on life support indefinitely.

But hey, look at what else has happened in and around downtown Louisville over the lifespan of the Museum Plaza project: a new arena, half of Whiskey Row developed and the other half saved, the explosion of NuLu and growth of Butchertown, a new distillery planned for West Main, half of Liberty Green built, Big Four pedestrian bridge work in progress, etc.

Despite a struggling economy, urban Louisville is still being developed and revitalized, and in ways that are small-scale, affordable, and largely locally owned and -driven. While Museum Plaza may have been a good thing for the city, and other major projects may come to fruition if and when the economy ever recovers, clearly we don't need huge developments like that in order to grow as a livable, viable city.
I say throw the bum (Fischer) out of office and elect Hal Heiner or someone else who will actually do a halfway decent job of managing this city, then we can think about big development projects. Just seeing what a mess Fischer has made of a little thing like Metro Animal Services makes me nervous about what happens if he goes around trying to do Jerry Abramson-sized development deals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area