U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
 
38 posts, read 74,926 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I am considering renting a house near the Clay Street area, and it seems so much cheaper than I would expect. I thought it might just be the housing bubble, but it's nagging me and I can't figure out why it is so cheap and nobody has rented it before me, unless this is a dangerous area.

I am not from Louisville, so I don't know if this is a bad area or not. What are your thoughts?

Is this area dangerous? For those not familiar with the area, nearby streets are St. Catherine Street, Goss Avenue, Maret Avenue, and E Ormsby Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 AM
 
Location: Crescent Hill
165 posts, read 254,511 times
Reputation: 123
These discussions come up every now and then, and it really boils down to what your tolerance level is and what you consider "safe." Some people freak out if a car gets broken into twice a year in their neighborhood; others are less prone to see muggers behind every corner.

Shelby Park, which is the name of the neighborhood you're looking at, is neither one of the better neighborhoods in urban Louisville nor among the worst. My sister and her husband used to live on Camp St, and I have a number of friends (including women and small children) who live in the area and are just fine.

It's an area where you do need to be aware and take reasonable precautions, especially if you're going to be out alone at night. However, it's also an area that's slowly gentrifying and becoming better and safer. Gentrification is spreading from the Highlands and Germantown to the east, and there are two large, socially active churches in the neighborhood that encourage their members to live there and become part of the community. Also, the Sheppard Square projects that made the Smoketown neighborhood to the north one of the worst in Louisville are almost empty now and will be demolished and redeveloped in the coming years.

If you want detailed info on crime reports in the area, you can use the LMPD's crime map at " + theTitle + "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Reputation: 881
I would be nervous living in any area where you had to take reasonable precautions if you are out alone at night. I agree that area is getting better, but I'd still be nervous living there.

Keep in mind that I am a wimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
22,998 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgetorix View Post
These discussions come up every now and then, and it really boils down to what your tolerance level is and what you consider "safe." Some people freak out if a car gets broken into twice a year in their neighborhood; others are less prone to see muggers behind every corner.

Shelby Park, which is the name of the neighborhood you're looking at, is neither one of the better neighborhoods in urban Louisville nor among the worst. My sister and her husband used to live on Camp St, and I have a number of friends (including women and small children) who live in the area and are just fine.

It's an area where you do need to be aware and take reasonable precautions, especially if you're going to be out alone at night. However, it's also an area that's slowly gentrifying and becoming better and safer. Gentrification is spreading from the Highlands and Germantown to the east, and there are two large, socially active churches in the neighborhood that encourage their members to live there and become part of the community. Also, the Sheppard Square projects that made the Smoketown neighborhood to the north one of the worst in Louisville are almost empty now and will be demolished and redeveloped in the coming years.

If you want detailed info on crime reports in the area, you can use the LMPD's crime map at " + theTitle + "
I actually attend a church in the area and I think it is a so-so area. I would be careful but I would doubt it is an area where you would have to worry about getting shot up and I say this as a guy who survived six years in the DC area in a declining neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Reputation: 9077
You could still get an affordable house in a safer area nearby in Germantown or the Highlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 06:48 AM
 
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Reputation: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
You could still get an affordable house in a safer area nearby in Germantown or the Highlands.
I agree this is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM
 
38 posts, read 74,926 times
Reputation: 19
Wait, isn't this area Germantown? I've been led to believe it's the same area. Where does Germantown end and Old Louisville begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Crescent Hill
165 posts, read 254,511 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonathanCr View Post
Wait, isn't this area Germantown? I've been led to believe it's the same area. Where does Germantown end and Old Louisville begin?
They are contiguous neighborhoods, but while borders are tricky to define sometimes, I'd say Shelby St would be the dividing line between Germantown to the east and Shelby Park to the west. Around Kentucky St is probably the dividing line between Shelby Park and Smoketown to the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM
 
Location: downtown phoenix
921 posts, read 1,253,748 times
Reputation: 1200
i owned a duplex on ormsby a few blocks away and there is no way in hell i would ever live in shelby park. is it the worst area in town? absolutely not. my son lives on camp and has reported no problems. that being said, spend your money and look elsewhere. there are shady people all over the place and people do get mugged on the street often. while it is true that the area is improving and you probably wouldn't be murdered or maybe even bothered, why would you want the headache of having to watch your back all the time? you would do well to look a little further east imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
 
38 posts, read 74,926 times
Reputation: 19
What about S. Brook, nearby? I have a friend who lives there and she said despite the "scary looking" weeds of many yards spilling onto the sidewalk that it's safe.

I'm just curious what you all would have to say, because she thinks it's safe, but I know it's not that far from the streets I've been looking at (one of the reasons I've considered it is so I can be close to her).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top