Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 AM

8 posts, read 16,839 times

Advertisements

my husband is interviewing with UPS and I am going with him. The hub is right at the airport and I wanted to know if there was anything close by that I could visit for the few hours that I am there? We arrive at 11am and leave at 5pm.
Can anyone offer some suggestions?
Thanks
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM

39 posts, read 149,923 times
If you are coming this week you could visit our state fair, it is at the fairgrounds right next to the airport. That would also give you some good insight into the community while you are here. You can also visit wave3.com, one of our local news websites and take a look at the community calender to see if there is anything going on while you are in town.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Thanks jphilips. Im visiting on 9/5. The state fair would have been nice to see. I will check out wave3.com
Dee

Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
dblmt the Louisville zoo is pretty close by to there and is very nice. go to Welcome to the Louisville Zoo and see what they have!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM

thanks missymomof3!!!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 PM

7,054 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips View Post
If you are coming this week you could visit our state fair, it is at the fairgrounds right next to the airport. That would also give you some good insight into the community while you are here. You can also visit wave3.com, one of our local news websites and take a look at the community calender to see if there is anything going on while you are in town.
FYI, the fair is NOT representative of our community. The people and activities there represent the state of KY, but overall the people of Louisville are a bit different. The fair represents the rural side of KY, of which 75% of the state is still rural. There will be a good amount of people from Louisville at the fair, but the majority are not in fact from Jefferson County. Are you interested in arts, museums or shopping? How about historical sites? There is plenty in the city to keep you entertained for a day. If farm animals and corn dogs are your thing, you'll like the fair. They also have some nice carnival rides for kids. Other than that...well let me know if you have any other interests.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,773,426 times
I think the fair will be over by then anyway.

Honestly, I don't think anything is that close by in such a short time. I'd be tempted to take a cab downtown and visit the Louisville Slugger Museum. It's easier to get cabs between the airport and downtown (and vice-versa) than anywhere else in town.

Louisville Slugger Museum - Home Page Welcome

You can do the museum in about 2 hours, but anything more than that and I'd be worried about getting back in time to take off.

If you don't like baseball but like history, try the Frazier International History Museum, also downtown.

http://www.frazierarmsmuseum.org/

Old 08-22-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblmt View Post
thanks missymomof3!!!
You're welcome!

Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
FYI, the fair is NOT representative of our community. The people and activities there represent the state of KY, but overall the people of Louisville are a bit different. The fair represents the rural side of KY, of which 75% of the state is still rural. There will be a good amount of people from Louisville at the fair, but the majority are not in fact from Jefferson County. Are you interested in arts, museums or shopping? How about historical sites? There is plenty in the city to keep you entertained for a day. If farm animals and corn dogs are your thing, you'll like the fair. They also have some nice carnival rides for kids. Other than that...well let me know if you have any other interests.

I am taking it you don't like the fair?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:10 PM

Well, what about the race horses? Do they allow you to take a tour of the stables or anything like that? I do love horses. I also like the idea of going into the city. Is it a long taxi ride? Im a native floridian and live in a small city on the east coast and not use to the city. I think that would be interesting to me.

Any advice from you guys? and I do appreciate all of your comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: