U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2007, 11:09 PM

10 posts, read 42,450 times

Advertisements

I plan to be in town in early September to search for an apartment. I want to live within 1 to 1.5 miles of 4th Street Live in a nice building on a safe/quiet street.

Does anyone think it's a bad idea to live downtown? Is it OK to walk around at night anytime (from work or a restaurant or a bar)?

Any suggestions for streets or buildings that are excellent?

Any property managers to avoid or that have great service?

Thanks again to everyone for your help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 04:46 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegna97 View Post
I plan to be in town in early September to search for an apartment. I want to live within 1 to 1.5 miles of 4th Street Live in a nice building on a safe/quiet street.

Does anyone think it's a bad idea to live downtown? Is it OK to walk around at night anytime (from work or a restaurant or a bar)?

Any suggestions for streets or buildings that are excellent?

Any property managers to avoid or that have great service?

Thanks again to everyone for your help...
Downtown is safe and the residential population is doubling in the next couple years. Are you wanting to live in downtown proper? I think it is OK to walk around downtown alone at night, I do all the time. As with any major city, though, you, you need to be careful. Many downtown residents walk their dogs at night, and I notice that increasing monthly. The closer to 4th street you are, the more 24/7 activity. Maybe a high rise? Or a restored house in a surrounding historic area like Old LOuisville, Butchertown, or Phoenix Hill? There are some nice high rises for cheap near 4th street live. Let me know yoru interests. I am a downtown resident and I really like it. You want to buy or rent?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Thanks stx...you convinced me in my last thread that living downtown should be cool and your advice about being careful is good to have. Being able to walk to work (right at 4th Street Live) would be ideal so I'd like to be within walking distance (say 30 minutes) of the CBD. I'll rent for the first year and consider buying in 2008.

Here's the thing: I also like to live in a quiet apartment, particularly at night. That's been my concern about Old Louisville...it's great to have the liveliness that comes with having college students in the city, but I've been the drunken student walking home with 8 people after a big party and well, you get the picture...

If you say it's generally quiet and peaceful in Old Lousiville, then I'll certainly look there too. I'm happy to be 2 or 3 blocks from the 24/7 stuff, if it's a quiet street and apartment.

I've always lived in big, high-rise apartment buildings and am used to a certain amount of privacy. But I have an open mind - it would be really cool to live in a beautiful, restored place in a neat, old neighborhood so I'll certainly consider Butchertown and Pheonix Hill if you say they are safe and quiet.

The two places I plan to check out first are "The 800" and "The Crescent Center". My plan is to have one of them as a fallback option if there's nothing more appealing (historic area, across the street from a park, maybe cheaper rent though that's not a big issue).

Lemme know what you think, stx, and any suggestions you have - thanks again for all your advice. I'd be totally clueless with you.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,219,031 times
Old Louisville is great. Close to downtown and terrific architecture. Lots of buses directly downtown and quiet. There is a huge arts festival every year (St. James Art Show) that some residents find annoying but I would love being near.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,219,031 times
Quote:
The two places I plan to check out first are "The 800" and "The Crescent Center". My plan is to have one of them as a fallback option if there's nothing more appealing (historic area, across the street from a park, maybe cheaper rent though that's not a big issue).
The 800 is a little long-in-the-tooth at my last viewing, but the Cresent Center is new and very cool.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks stx...you convinced me in my last thread that living downtown should be cool and your advice about being careful is good to have. Being able to walk to work (right at 4th Street Live) would be ideal so I'd like to be within walking distance (say 30 minutes) of the CBD. I'll rent for the first year and consider buying in 2008.

Here's the thing: I also like to live in a quiet apartment, particularly at night. That's been my concern about Old Louisville...it's great to have the liveliness that comes with having college students in the city, but I've been the drunken student walking home with 8 people after a big party and well, you get the picture...

If you say it's generally quiet and peaceful in Old Lousiville, then I'll certainly look there too. I'm happy to be 2 or 3 blocks from the 24/7 stuff, if it's a quiet street and apartment.

I've always lived in big, high-rise apartment buildings and am used to a certain amount of privacy. But I have an open mind - it would be really cool to live in a beautiful, restored place in a neat, old neighborhood so I'll certainly consider Butchertown and Pheonix Hill if you say they are safe and quiet.

Lemme know what you think, stx, and any suggestions you have - thanks again for all your advice. I'd be totally clueless with you.

I would check Kentucky Towers before the 800. Its priced the same, probably cheaper, and is under renovations so it is going to be nicer. also, its location is primo...one block from fourth street live and right in the muhammad ali retail development corridor:

More in store for downtown

I would also look at Barrington Place which is another nearby highrise with a rooftop deck. KY towers is nice because it has an attached garage where downtown residents may park at half price, and the top of the garage has a really nice pool for use by residents. Crescent is great but expensive, but generally very nice . I would choose AU Associates (http://www.auassociates.com/stfrancis.html - broken link) or Welcome to the Henry Clay anyday over the 800 both for location and professional advantages (ie the tenant mix is more urban professional). The Henry Clay is absolutely magnificent...it feels like living in a roaring 20's era midrise hotel, not unlike the Seelbach Hilton.

There are too many great properties downtown to list, with downtown condo population to double by 2010. You may be interested in some of the new projects in the downtown housing tour, which is free on sept 8th:

Downtown Housing Tour The list includes only new or unique donwtown properties.

Anymore questions, I am full info, demographics, and development info for downtown:

The Urban Louisvillian: HOK Releases Arena Design

This blog is well written and its auther keeps up very nicely with urban, progressive developments.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 PM

Thank you Off Topic and stx, I'll definitely check out those buildings.

I like the possibility of hopping on a bus on a rainy day (if I were a mile away) and it really seems worthwhile to walk around Old Louisville for a few hours and keep an eye out for rental signs. I'll also walk around Butchertown and Pheonix Hill. There's always the hope of finding a great top-floor apartment in a nicely restored place!

Any streets in these neighorhods that are especially nice?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 PM

You will like Washington and Franklin streets in Butchertown. There are some nice rehabbed rentals as well as infill condos there:

Edison Park Condominium Development is a great example.

The only downside to the area is the "spattering" of light warehouse businesses, as well as the nearby Swift slaughterhouse which can cause the area to stink in the summer. Butchertown is the only remaining historical meat packing district in the United States-- meat packing is now done is rural areas.

East Main and Market, along with Jefferson, Liberty, Muhammad Ali, are all viable options in Phoenix Hill. E Market has developed a quaint art gallery district and has at least 5 good restaurants, a couple small groceries, and more:

First Friday Gallery/Trolley Hop

The gallery hop is a fun way to check out the hood, meet people, and learn the area. It is the first friday of every month.

Some cool businessess in Phoenix Hill:

MySpace.com - Derby City Espresso - 35 - Male - Louisville, Alabama - www.myspace.com/derbycityespresso

MySpace.com - Jenicca's Cafe and Wine Bar - 24 - Female - LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY - www.myspace.com/jeniccas

Primo Restaurant

The Mayan Café (http://www.themayancafe.com/index.html - broken link)

Market on Market (http://www.marketonmarket.com - broken link)

Melillo's Italian Dining

Another area to consider is the area around the intersection of Vine and Swan St. Known as Paristown Pointe, the area is at a crossroads between the east side of downtown, the lower Highlands, and Phoenix Hill. Very cool area. A few young families have bought some of the infill homes around vine street. keep in mind that all of these areas are still gentrifying. The established "yuppie" hoods in the city are clearly the Highlands and Crescent Hill, and now Clifton. Old LOuisville, downtown, Butchertown, and Phoenix Hill are the new horizon. So is Germanown. Louisville is blessed with so many unique neighborhoods for its size, many of which are viable living options from both affordibility and safety reasons.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-28-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area