U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,010 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are expecting our first child! We're pretty thrilled. However, we're less than thrilled with where we live. We were hoping to have been out of Illinois by now with a transfer to Arizona but that didn't pan out. Now we're thinking about looking for work in Southern Indiana or Kentucky so that we can be closer to my family while I'm pregnant and then for awhile after the baby is born. Ideally I think we want to be further south, but I don't really want to be pregnant and that far away from anyone I know

As we don't even have jobs figured out, we're still just in the looking stage of things. We want to choose a few narrowed down areas and then start applying for work. My husband currently works as a supervisor at a fairly large call center. He has also done security work in the past. He'd probably be up for anything at this point, just to get us out of here, but those areas of work would be ideal.

We're hoping to move somewhere that will help us to save up some funds for our permanent move/new baby/etc. We're currently paying 600 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in a mid-size (to me at least) college town. We'd like to pay less. I think I'd prefer to live in a small-town environment where my husband could commute (20 minutes tops) to work in a bigger town if necessary. I'll probably be working from home once the baby is born so my work isn't really an issue right now.

We want to live somewhere very safe and preferably quiet. As we might end up staying longer than planned, somewhere that is family friendly would be great. We're in our late 20's/early 30's but we don't prefer loud parties or loud neighbors. I don't think living near a university would be a very good fit for us.

We'd like to be within 3 hours of Mitchell, Indiana so that puts us as far south as around Bowling Green, as far east as Lexington, and as far west as Madisonville. I don't really know the areas...I just looked on the map and at driving times

I love reading through these threads and you guys always have such great advice and tips! I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 AM

6,296 posts, read 13,179,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innertulip View Post
My husband and I are expecting our first child! We're pretty thrilled. However, we're less than thrilled with where we live. We were hoping to have been out of Illinois by now with a transfer to Arizona but that didn't pan out. Now we're thinking about looking for work in Southern Indiana or Kentucky so that we can be closer to my family while I'm pregnant and then for awhile after the baby is born. Ideally I think we want to be further south, but I don't really want to be pregnant and that far away from anyone I know

As we don't even have jobs figured out, we're still just in the looking stage of things. We want to choose a few narrowed down areas and then start applying for work. My husband currently works as a supervisor at a fairly large call center. He has also done security work in the past. He'd probably be up for anything at this point, just to get us out of here, but those areas of work would be ideal.

We're hoping to move somewhere that will help us to save up some funds for our permanent move/new baby/etc. We're currently paying 600 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in a mid-size (to me at least) college town. We'd like to pay less. I think I'd prefer to live in a small-town environment where my husband could commute (20 minutes tops) to work in a bigger town if necessary. I'll probably be working from home once the baby is born so my work isn't really an issue right now.

We want to live somewhere very safe and preferably quiet. As we might end up staying longer than planned, somewhere that is family friendly would be great. We're in our late 20's/early 30's but we don't prefer loud parties or loud neighbors. I don't think living near a university would be a very good fit for us.

We'd like to be within 3 hours of Mitchell, Indiana so that puts us as far south as around Bowling Green, as far east as Lexington, and as far west as Madisonville. I don't really know the areas...I just looked on the map and at driving times

I love reading through these threads and you guys always have such great advice and tips! I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!
I think you need to be in Floyd County IN or Oldham County KY. Specifically, living near but not IN the city of Louisville would be ideal for you. Try Floyds Knobs, IN and Crestwood, Prospect, Goshen, or LaGrange KY. I think those areas are what you want.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:42 PM

798 posts, read 1,938,297 times
Assuming your husband could find a job in the area, I would consider the Bloomington area. It sounds like the type of place you are looking for and there are parts of town or nearby smaller towns where you wouldn't have loud students next door. The rent may be a little higher and I don't know what the job opportunities would be for call centers in the area, but I suggest it mainly because you would likely only be about 45 minutes from Mitchell and being close to family while you are pregnant would be a great thing. I'm originally from that general area and still love it although I live in Floyd County now.

You might also consider Evansville. It's a little bigger so there may be more opportunities than Bloomington, but it's not as big as the Louisville metro so you may be more comfortable there. Newburgh is a great little town/suburb on the east side of town and I've also heard good things about Henderson, KY although I've only driven through there a few times. Newburgh would put you about 2 hours from Mitchell and you'd have some nice scenery along the way as well as the Ohio River and some nice parks nearby.

As stx12499 has said, the Louisville area is great if you don't mind a little extra traffic and more of a city experience. I would stay stick to the Indiana side to save yourself some time and trouble when trying to see family in Mitchell. The I-64 bridge is closed right now, but should be open again by March which would make it easier for your husband to get into Louisville to work. His commute would probably be a little more than 20 minutes though with traffic. Depending on the roads and where his job was, he could be traveling anywhere from 20-45 minutes on average to work. Floyds Knobs itself is more of a bedroom community than a small town, but is one of the closest quiet areas to the city. Unfortunately though, there aren't very many apartment options in this area. I wouldn't even consider Knobs Pointe Apartments. They are trying to improve them, have a nice clubhouse with a great view and low rent, but the apartments themselves are run down and there are some other issues with crime.

If there are any specifics I can answer for you on any of these areas, please let me know.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
Look at Prospect, KY - there are nice inexpensive condos in Hunting Creek...it is a great little city - quiet, low crime, clean and nice services....also very beautiful, neat and clean and green.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,696,057 times
Louisville has several large call centers....Humana for one.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-25-2011, 02:31 AM

5 posts, read 12,010 times
Thanks so much for the info guys! I'm going to check out all of these areas.
Gemstone, thanks! Humana actually didn't come up on any of my searches so I had no idea. Thanks for the info!
MissingIndiana, I actually lived in Bloomington for 10 years after high school. I really loved my time there and it's very fitting that you should mention it as somewhere we might like to be. However, I think we want to stay south of Mitchell so that in a couple of years we can start looking for jobs in Tennessee which is where we want to land permanently. Newburgh looks more our speed at the moment

Cat and stx, Those areas look really nice. They seem like the right sizes of communities that we're looking for. I just wonder if we'll have a hard time finding rentals. Definitely looking into it though.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or