U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 6,486 times
Default Finally arrived and loving it!!

Well, I have been in Louisville for two months now. I am enjoying the city and my new job as well. I just hate that my job keeps me so busy that I can't enjoy Louisville. Other than that I am amazed at what this city has to offer from concerts to the U of L games. Might I add the Yum center feels like a pro NBA team should play there. It's a sight to see and to be at the game.

Now that I have been here for a while and realized that Louisville is not very big and sprawled out like Indianapolis, Which I enjoy cause I can really get around a lot more and learn streets since the bridge is out for a while.

Some questions for some of you guys here in the forums. When I first moved here I wanted to live in the Clifton/Crescent hills area,but now that I have seen more of Louisville. I was wondering how safe is Old Louisville. I have seen some nice homes and apartments in that area and kind of want to move there. I like how its has it own style and not commercial compared to other places.

I read an old article dated from 2009 bout crime being on the rise in Old Louisville? I figure that area might be okay now, since it was almost 3 years ago.

Also, where does Old Louisville start and end? I am having a hard time trying to figure that out.

Have Happy New Year!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 06:52 PM

14,821 posts, read 16,877,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadis View Post
Well, I have been in Louisville for two months now. I am enjoying the city and my new job as well. I just hate that my job keeps me so busy that I can't enjoy Louisville. Other than that I am amazed at what this city has to offer from concerts to the U of L games. Might I add the Yum center feels like a pro NBA team should play there. It's a sight to see and to be at the game.

Now that I have been here for a while and realized that Louisville is not very big and sprawled out like Indianapolis, Which I enjoy cause I can really get around a lot more and learn streets since the bridge is out for a while.

Some questions for some of you guys here in the forums. When I first moved here I wanted to live in the Clifton/Crescent hills area,but now that I have seen more of Louisville. I was wondering how safe is Old Louisville. I have seen some nice homes and apartments in that area and kind of want to move there. I like how its has it own style and not commercial compared to other places.

I read an old article dated from 2009 bout crime being on the rise in Old Louisville? I figure that area might be okay now, since it was almost 3 years ago.

Also, where does Old Louisville start and end? I am having a hard time trying to figure that out.

Have Happy New Year!!
Really happy you are enjoying it here. I feel you on being busy and not being able to enjoy the Ville. I'm there too and it sucks I'm probably gonna have to leave before I give the city the proper service.

Now Old Louisville. There have been a couple of murders in the Eastern parts of Old Louisville in the past year that I recall. Personally I think property crime will be much more an issue than violent crime.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:21 AM

125 posts, read 113,108 times
Welcome! Louisville is great! And yes, everything is within 20 minutes of each other for the most part. Old Louisville is hit or miss...some areas are great and some are sketchy. I lived around the 1300 block on Brook, and was never bothered..and often wandered home alone late. I much prefer the Highlands though. I LOVE how walkable the Highlands are.

Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 AM

26 posts, read 23,056 times
Old louisville is not the worse but not the best either.If you want to see the map Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Just stay away from a street name that is a number or dixie highway and taylor blvd.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 AM

11 posts, read 6,486 times
Thanks for the feedback. The area in old louisville that had some apartments for rent were around the st james,Hill street and Belgravia court. I would think that part of old lousville wold be safe it felt like it. I will keep looking around in old louisville for the good parts.Thanks guys.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM

26 posts, read 23,056 times
My friends and me use to rent a house on the corner of 3rd and hill it was nice just wasn't that cheap and parking on the street sucked bad.See if any of those apartments have parking if not good luck.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,947,989 times
Yeah, to me, the main draw back of old Louisville is the parking. Personally, I'd stay where you are.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM

688 posts, read 1,063,055 times
Old Louisville is great. I lived there for a little while. It was a little noisy, but we were right outside a 4th street bus stop. You will definitely have a lot of noise from low flying planes as well, although you get used to that after a while. There is some crime in the area, but the violent crime usually happens late and night and to people who are connected in some way to the perpetrator. I parked my car on the street and no one ever bothered it. I also didn't have any trouble parking where I was, but it's another story around St. James court. It would be much harder to park there I think.

I've walked all over the neighborhood and never felt uncomfortable with my surroundings, but whether or not you will depends on your personality. There are some sketchy looking characters around the Rite Aid at 4th and Oak and I saw some people run out of the Chinese restaurant across the street with the staff yelling that they were calling the police, but no one up there ever bothered me for anything more than to ask for cigarettes. There are plenty of non-sketchy areas as well though and Old Louisville is a great spot being right in the middle of the city. Ten minutes to downtown, 10 minutes to Bardstown Rd, 10 minutes to the airport and fairgrounds. It's great.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM

440 posts, read 119,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadis View Post
Might I add the Yum center feels like a pro NBA team should play there.
Too bad Kentucky's pro team plays in Lexington and occasionally Freedom Hall

I'm kidding, welcome to Kentucky. It may not have much going for it, but beautiful mornings like this morning and a lot of the people make up for that.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 AM

732 posts, read 510,523 times
Default Old Louisville experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Old Louisville is great. I lived there for a little while. It was a little noisy, but we were right outside a 4th street bus stop. You will definitely have a lot of noise from low flying planes as well, although you get used to that after a while. There is some crime in the area, but the violent crime usually happens late and night and to people who are connected in some way to the perpetrator. I parked my car on the street and no one ever bothered it. I also didn't have any trouble parking where I was, but it's another story around St. James court. It would be much harder to park there I think.

I've walked all over the neighborhood and never felt uncomfortable with my surroundings, but whether or not you will depends on your personality. There are some sketchy looking characters around the Rite Aid at 4th and Oak and I saw some people run out of the Chinese restaurant across the street with the staff yelling that they were calling the police, but no one up there ever bothered me for anything more than to ask for cigarettes. There are plenty of non-sketchy areas as well though and Old Louisville is a great spot being right in the middle of the city. Ten minutes to downtown, 10 minutes to Bardstown Rd, 10 minutes to the airport and fairgrounds. It's great.
This pretty much sounds like my experience in Old Louisville. My apartment building had very limited parking so most days I had to look for street parking, but usually I didn't have to go far. The worst days for parking were special events like Ironman, St. James Art Fair, Thunder Over Louisville, etc. I lived between Central Park and the 4th/Oak shopping area mentioned. There were some bums and seedy-looking people walking about but no one ever gave me serious trouble. I have to agree that feeling comfortable around those people depends on your personality, but I can understand some people not feeling comfortable. But it was pretty much if you leave them alone, they'd leave you alone. I remember the people in the shops were always friendly; we went to Rite Aid often and my husband got his hair cut at one of the barber shops. The lady who cut his hair said she had been working there for 28 years but was moving to Germantown--she said about our block "it's turning into one big homeless shelter!" Block by block can be different in Old Louisville, but I don't think any of it is that bad. On one hand you have St. James Court and on the other you have Brook and St. Catherine.

I like the easy access to other neighborhoods and the interstate (and also proximity to my former workplace and my husband's current one). It seems like getting around there was so much easier...It was a great place to live while we didn't have enough $$$ for a gallon of gas. Speaking of cars, watch out because in the 40203 zip code insurance rates are REALLY high! I don't think that it's because of Old Louisville exactly but because of the piece of the west end our zip was connected to. Sometimes I miss living in Old Louisville. I used to pass a lot time wandering in the streets looking at the interesting buildings--I never got tired of that, and even when you think you've seen them all, you haven't! I used to spend a lot of time at Central Park. Had some nice times there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area