Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brygon View Post
WFPK was just named one of the top five trend-setting stations in the country (FMQB, R&R, and All Access). It's also the most listened to AAA station in the U.S. (per capita).
Who named WFPK as a trend setting station?
What trend is WFPK setting?
Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, and American Idol are very popular. What does that prove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 05:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
I enjoy streaming radio stations from other English speaking countries around the world. There is some great music out there that never gets played in the US.

As for WUOL, it amazes me that U of L will spend $50 MILLION in endowment to expand the football stadium but won't spend $10 thousand to put up an antenna for WUOL. College radio is a great way to connect with the community, many much smaller universities have student radio stations that are on the radio. I think WKU does the best job of media in the state with a radio station played on several stations across the state and even a cable tv channel

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 PM

7,064 posts, read 16,643,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I enjoy streaming radio stations from other English speaking countries around the world. There is some great music out there that never gets played in the US.

As for WUOL, it amazes me that U of L will spend $50 MILLION in endowment to expand the football stadium but won't spend $10 thousand to put up an antenna for WUOL. College radio is a great way to connect with the community, many much smaller universities have student radio stations that are on the radio. I think WKU does the best job of media in the state with a radio station played on several stations across the state and even a cable tv channel
Why don't you and Visvaldis go down to UofL and try to make something happen. With the way the school is growing, I bet something good be done to up the ante on the signal, the airplay, etc.

As a fact, independent radio stations are RARE nowadays. The constant rants against radio by Visvaldis may as well be a rant against ClearChannel Communications, which controls something like 75% of the US radio stations. Very few cities have INDEPENDENT radio stations. Here is the best list I can fine, and the common denominator is that all these cities have a large hippie/hipster/young subculture population:

USAKGLT FM 91.9 Bozeman, Montana
KFJC FM 89.7 Los Altos Hills, California
WYCE FM 88.1 Grand Rapids, Michigan
WMNF FM 88.5 Tampa, Florida
WLUW FM 88.7 Chicago, Illinois
WRFG FM 89.3 Atlanta ("Radio Free Georgia")
KVMR FM 89.5 Nevada City, California
WEFT FM 90.1 Champaign, Illinois
KCMP FM 89.3 Minneapolis, Minnesota
KEXP FM 90.3 Seattle, Washington
KYRS FM 89.9, 92.3 Spokane, Washington
KBOO FM 90.7, Portland, Oregon
WWOZ FM 90.7 New Orleans, Louisiana
WYEP FM 91.3 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
WDIY FM 88.1 Allentown, Pennsylvania
WFPK FM 91.9 Louisville, Kentucky
WXRV FM 92.5 Andover, Massachusetts
WWCD FM 101.1 Columbus, Ohio
KGNU-FM, Denver/Boulder, Colorado
WFMU FM 91.1 Jersey City, New Jersey
WRIR-LP FM 97.3, Richmond, Virginia
KRUU-LP FM 100.1 Fairfield, Iowa
WVBR-FM 93.5, Ithaca, New York
WDKX 103.9 Rochester, New York
DJCR - FCC Part 15 LPAM AM 1670 Valencia, El Dorado, Northern Hills, Texas
KHOL FM 89.1 Jackson, Wyoming
WJKS 101.7 FM Wilmington, Delaware
KDHX 88.1 FM St. Louis, Missouri, Missouri
WWZN-AM 1510 AM Quincy, Massachusetts
WEQX FM 102.7 Manchester, Vermont

Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 PM

There are a lot of great college town/radio stations out there:

List of campus radio stations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suggest you guys contact UofL, form an online group to raise some money ,and try to boost the airplay.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:27 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,134,301 times
I supply links to the streaming stations I listen to:

From Northwestern University, Evanston (suburb of Chicago):
WNUR 89.3 FM (http://www.wnur.org/ - broken link)

From MIT in Cambridge, Mass:
WMBR 88.1 FM : WMBR, Cambridge
Some regular programs are: Bats In The Belfry, The James Dean Death Car Experience.

From U of C, Berkeley:
KALX-FM | KALX-FM

From Northeastern University, Chicago:
home

From Boston College, Boston:
WZBC - LISTEN LIVE

All are student operated stations. Free format, the music depends on the DJs. Most will play 30 minutes of music or longer without interruption. Some of the music selections are controversial. They also broadcast PSAs (Public Service Announcements) as well as community activities, including anti-war demos, etc. None of the stations are sponsored by religious organizations. In particular, WZRD would probably be condemned to hell by religious people.
If anyone cares to listen to the choices I listed be advised that some of the broadcast content is not family oriented.
If anyone remembers several years ago WFPK allowed Kim Sorise to have two hours every Friday evening for the unusual. She played music from groups like Gang Of Four, Detroit Six, The Stooges, Psychic TV, The Birthday Party, The Fall, New York Dolls, and others. It wasn't long until the station's director obviously had a heavy hand in making the selections and soon the two hours were bland to fit with the station's usual format. Eventually, the program was discontinued.
Yes, I'm different. I appreciate music with extraordinary lyrics, musical arrangements and instrumentation. I am not interested in wholesome family entertainment.
Take a look under my City Data name: Nothing is Scared.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Just a general observation... it's amazing how few "Alternative Rock" stations there are any more. Even the Cincinnati/ Dayton metroplex only has ONE!! (as do Louisville and Lexington). I enjoyed listed in 105.1 the Walrus when I first moved to L'ville in 2002. Last time I was in town there was still 93.1 the Fox, it used to be on the 100.5 signal which is much stronger. The switched it Louie FM which later become Gen X Fm. I have always been able to get the 100.5 signal (regardless of format) easily on my car radio in the western half of Lexington

Old 04-14-2012, 04:34 PM

174 posts, read 537,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gicts View Post
That's a great observation about UL not having a channel. I had never thought of it, but it certainly doesn't surprise me.

I've been somewhat impressed with how 107.7 has been able to turn around their station. SFR was getting unbearable with the same 5 songs.

I have completely stopped listening to 840. It used to be all that I listened to, however I CAN NOT STAND MANDY. Francene was enjoyable but someone really screwed up with her replacement.

For the most part the only thing that I listen to anymore are podcasts. There are no commercials, I pick what I want to listen to, and I can fast forward and rewind. I wouldn't be surprised if radio goes the way of newspaper at the end of this decade.
To play the devil's advocate here, Francene, for all of her altruism, could really be an irritating, cold-hearted pest. From the beginning. Not meaning to speak ill of the dead, just trying to give an alternate perspective.

I pretty much only listen to WHAS for Coast to Coast and Cindy Sullivan. Worst of all seems to be the highly irritating Lachlan McLean, although most local sports-casters etc seem to be missing half a brain anyway. And since I get all my news from WFPL/NPR, I have to listen to such reporters as Devin Katayama, Rick Howlett and others who say the name of the city in (what is to me) such a nauseatingly grotesque manner that I will often find myself cussing them out on my drive to work, just for that (I know, I'm weird.) *That* pretty much goes for all local radio stations, and should I ever have a reasonable opportunity to relocate far away, I fear that should Louisville get a major league sports team, I will never be able to escape that pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I supply links to the streaming stations I listen to:

From Northwestern University, Evanston (suburb of Chicago):
WNUR 89.3 FM (http://www.wnur.org/ - broken link)

From MIT in Cambridge, Mass:
WMBR 88.1 FM : WMBR, Cambridge
Some regular programs are: Bats In The Belfry, The James Dean Death Car Experience.

From U of C, Berkeley:
KALX-FM | KALX-FM

From Northeastern University, Chicago:
home

From Boston College, Boston:
WZBC - LISTEN LIVE

All are student operated stations. Free format, the music depends on the DJs. Most will play 30 minutes of music or longer without interruption. Some of the music selections are controversial. They also broadcast PSAs (Public Service Announcements) as well as community activities, including anti-war demos, etc. None of the stations are sponsored by religious organizations. In particular, WZRD would probably be condemned to hell by religious people.
If anyone cares to listen to the choices I listed be advised that some of the broadcast content is not family oriented.
If anyone remembers several years ago WFPK allowed Kim Sorise to have two hours every Friday evening for the unusual. She played music from groups like Gang Of Four, Detroit Six, The Stooges, Psychic TV, The Birthday Party, The Fall, New York Dolls, and others. It wasn't long until the station's director obviously had a heavy hand in making the selections and soon the two hours were bland to fit with the station's usual format. Eventually, the program was discontinued.
Yes, I'm different. I appreciate music with extraordinary lyrics, musical arrangements and instrumentation. I am not interested in wholesome family entertainment.
Take a look under my City Data name: Nothing is Scared.
Thank you for illustrating that.

When I was a kid in late 80's Virginia, I use to listen to the college radio station there, the University of Richmond's WDCE and found it to be an enriching experience.

Some of those bands are pretty well known (the Stooges <primarily b/c of Iggy Pop>, the New York Dolls etc)

Also, I found interesting your comments that WFPK plays "music that would be acceptable at a Southern Baptist church picnic." That has been my primary music station at least since college, and I have heard many songs whose lyrics are highly critical of *that* variety of the church. And have you listened to some of the interviews on the World Cafe? But I must agree, many of their songs are dull, unimaginative, repetitive, and played on half hour loops (something one would associate with commercial, especially pop radio.)

I miss the period from about 1992 to 1995 when they were truly playing some truly great alternative music locally, even if I couldn't stand some of the DJs. It was an abrupt change from the early 1990's when local stations were afraid even to play Metallica before midnight, and we were stuck in a classic rock time warp.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post

Also, I found interesting your comments that WFPK plays "music that would be acceptable at a Southern Baptist church picnic." That has been my primary music station at least since college, and I have heard many songs whose lyrics are highly critical of *that* variety of the church. And have you listened to some of the interviews on the World Cafe? But I must agree, many of their songs are dull, unimaginative, repetitive, and played on half hour loops (something one would associate with commercial, especially pop radio.)
as an employee of WFPK, I can assure - and promise- that songs are not on a half hour loop. in fact, even songs in our heavy rotation only get spun 10-12 times a week at the most. 10-12 times, in a 7 seven day period, with 24 hours in the day. the pop station plays their heavy songs nearly 90 times a week and the rock station plays nearly 50 times a week. (all those stats are available at allaccess.com)

and I can't defend unimaginative. that's definitely perception. i can say however that we play Tune-Yards as well as Willie Nelson, St. Vincent as well as Bonnie Raitt, Young the Giant and Zeus as well as The Avett Brothers, Wilco and Japandroids.

WFPK was the first station in the United States to play Mumford & Sons, Fun., and Foster the People. And we were just nominated - for the 2nd year in a row - for Station of the Year, Program Director of the Year and Music Director of the Year by FMQB.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brygon View Post
as an employee of WFPK, I can assure - and promise- that songs are not on a half hour loop. in fact, even songs in our heavy rotation only get spun 10-12 times a week at the most. 10-12 times, in a 7 seven day period, with 24 hours in the day. the pop station plays their heavy songs nearly 90 times a week and the rock station plays nearly 50 times a week. (all those stats are available at allaccess.com)

and I can't defend unimaginative. that's definitely perception. i can say however that we play Tune-Yards as well as Willie Nelson, St. Vincent as well as Bonnie Raitt, Young the Giant and Zeus as well as The Avett Brothers, Wilco and Japandroids.

WFPK was the first station in the United States to play Mumford & Sons, Fun., and Foster the People. And we were just nominated - for the 2nd year in a row - for Station of the Year, Program Director of the Year and Music Director of the Year by FMQB.
The negatives will probably find a way to dispute your hard data....they know more than you Keep up the great work...WFPK is a jewel of an urban station and is about as far away from a conservative Baptist station as China is from true democracy.

Oh, and for the record, religious wise, Louisville has more combined Catholics and Protestants than Baptists. There is even a small but sizable Jewish population, Hindus, Buddhists, and of course tens of thousands of Agnostics and Atheists. I love the city because for that region, it is one of few cities that is all welcoming!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM

I like Indie Rock and I personally like both WFPK and Lexington's WUKY much better than Cincinnati's station WNKU (Blah). You get a lot of good American roots musicians like Alabama Shakes (who are HUGE in Europe more than in America), Samantha Crain, North Mississippi All Stars, Carolina Chocolate Drops, etc. And to say they only play music that is none controversial.. well I digress. WUKY plays many songs that are against Mountain Removal Mining. Honestly I'm surprised the pro coal nut jobs haven't fire bombed the station.

That said there is a big world out there and I love listening to other radio stations in English speaking countries which span across 4 continents. The best alt rock station I have found isn't in NYC or San Francisco, it's TUKS in Pretoria, South Africa. I also much prefer pop music in the UK. Notice how popular Adele and Florence & the machine now are in America, well that's what most music in the UK sounds like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area