Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,479 times

Advertisements

What about speeding up to not let you out of side rd. or merging unto a on ramp. Those wacky looneyville drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 01:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelc View Post
Louisville is no different than any other city that lives and dies by the car. With one major exception: Louisville is one of the least educated and most complacent cities in America. There is a connection between lousy schools, half-assed leaders, vigilante rules, and bad drivers. A community can be judged quite fairly by how people behave on its roads and by its road fatality statistics. In fact, our fair city can be judged by the fantastic number of crashes caused by LMPD cruisers. If police officers drive like idiots how can we expect civilians to drive with their brains? Louisville drivers are no more hostile than drivers in Nashville or Indianapolis. They're just plain dumber. The refusal by most drivers to signal while turning is the purest example.

As for the Indiana suburbs, ditto.

If you are visiting or considering moving to the Louisville area, your odds of being involved in a crash increases. Pedestrians and bicyclists are in even more peril.

Welcome Derby visitors, and may you survive the trip.
This is surprisingly the most accurate description of Louisville I have ever read.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I appreciate your comments about Louisville drivers. But first, a couple of notes. Odds are, if you check the tags, the bad drivers are from Indiana. (LOL)

Secondly, I know were I am going, and if you know me, then you know were I am going too, so why waste the electricity and effort to turn on my blinkers? What's a signal good for between friends. (LOL)

Oh, and changing lanes. Well, being that Kentucky is a border state, and since we try to always be ladies and gentlemen, we don't wish to hurt drivers from other states feelings by trying to drive in only one lane. We also help the wear to our highways by using as much of the road as possible.

Oh, yeah, and thank you for only driving 20 minutes. Kentucky has such a high gasoline tax. You probably drive one of those darn gas savers so you aren't paying your fair share of our taxes. Dang it man....
I really hope this was sarcasm because if not, you are exactly what is wrong with Louisville.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:04 AM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
I love most things about Kentucky, but one thing I don't like is the drivers. Louisville, especially, has some of the most aggressive and rude drivers I have ever seen and I have traveled a lot! My insurance rates went through the roof when moving to Louisville from Ohio. I have sinced move out of Louisville city limits and they dropped a little, but not a lot. Kentucky drivers drive as if they are running from the law, and I mean that. Quick lane changes on the interstate, no signals, tailgating, throwing up gestures unless you move when they want you to move, driving recklessly or with heavily damaged vehicles, it is insane!

I am used to Ohio drivers who are much more polite and drive at or around the speed limit, partially because Ohio State Highway Patrol heavily enforces traffic laws in the State. I hardly see KSP when on I-64 or I-75.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I love most things about Kentucky, but one thing I don't like is the drivers. Louisville, especially, has some of the most aggressive and rude drivers I have ever seen and I have traveled a lot! My insurance rates went through the roof when moving to Louisville from Ohio. I have sinced move out of Louisville city limits and they dropped a little, but not a lot. Kentucky drivers drive as if they are running from the law, and I mean that. Quick lane changes on the interstate, no signals, tailgating, throwing up gestures unless you move when they want you to move, driving recklessly or with heavily damaged vehicles, it is insane!

I am used to Ohio drivers who are much more polite and drive at or around the speed limit, partially because Ohio State Highway Patrol heavily enforces traffic laws in the State. I hardly see KSP when on I-64 or I-75.
Ohio is awesome. Looking to move to Cincy if I get this one job up that way. And the drivers and people in general are just more polite in general.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:51 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,173,907 times
Ohio is awesome.

Well...maybe. Yes Cincy is great, though. One of my favorite places.

And the drivers and people in general are just more polite in general.

Midwest Nice.

As for driving. Maybe I posted on this long thread already....but I learned to drive in Louisville. This was in the 1970s, when we had the "old" Watterson Expressway and the old "Kentucky Turnpike" (AKA I-65). So I, like a generation of Louisvillians, became fairly skilled and observant drivers in order to navigate this undersized expressway....fast, decisive, yet also carefull....not bad drivers.

However I have notice this has changed.

Drivers in Louisville have become actually reckless in terms of speed and aggression and taking chances. and not giving a sh_t. Things have deteriorated when it comes to driving in Louisville.

I do agree about Ohio drivers being disciplined by aggressive traffic enforcement. It took a few tickets to slow me down (and cruise control!) after I moved from California. Traffic enforcement in Ohio also involves a highly visible presence as well as aggressive enforcement....which is a bit different than Louisville where there is this speeding crap shoot with the local cops and their unmarked cars. Im sure they have these in Ohio, but that's really now how they do it here.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Ohio is awesome.

Well...maybe. Yes Cincy is great, though. One of my favorite places.

And the drivers and people in general are just more polite in general.

Midwest Nice.

As for driving. Maybe I posted on this long thread already....but I learned to drive in Louisville. This was in the 1970s, when we had the "old" Watterson Expressway and the old "Kentucky Turnpike" (AKA I-65). So I, like a generation of Louisvillians, became fairly skilled and observant drivers in order to navigate this undersized expressway....fast, decisive, yet also carefull....not bad drivers.

However I have notice this has changed.

Drivers in Louisville have become actually reckless in terms of speed and aggression and taking chances. and not giving a sh_t. Things have deteriorated when it comes to driving in Louisville.

I do agree about Ohio drivers being disciplined by aggressive traffic enforcement. It took a few tickets to slow me down (and cruise control!) after I moved from California. Traffic enforcement in Ohio also involves a highly visible presence as well as aggressive enforcement....which is a bit different than Louisville where there is this speeding crap shoot with the local cops and their unmarked cars. Im sure they have these in Ohio, but that's really now how they do it here.
Not sure what you mean by Midwest nice but as far as Louisville goes, Louisville people are hot and cold. Nice if they like you (for whatever reason they decide you're worthy) or complete jerks if they decide you don't fit their personal definition of decent. This is when they don't even know you so I would rather take everyone being nice to my face than half of people being sweethearts and the other half being standoffish jerks who feel territorial and like the constant need to beat their chest.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-03-2017 at 07:32 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM

811 posts, read 888,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Not sure what you mean by Midwest nice but as far as Louisville goes, Louisville people are hot and cold. Nice of they like you (for whatever reason they decide you're worthy) or complete jerks if they decide you don't fit their personal definition of decent. This is when they don't even know you so I would rather take everyone being nice to my face than half of people being sweethearts and the other half being standoffish jerks who feel territorial and like the constant need to beat their chest.
I think "Midwest Nice" is a term to describe the general mannersims and politeness of Midwesterners. As a midwesterner, I would say we are more reserved, but almost always polite. It os different than the typical Southern hospitality, more genuine.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I think "Midwest Nice" is a term to describe the general mannersims and politeness of Midwesterners. As a midwesterner, I would say we are more reserved, but almost always polite. It os different than the typical Southern hospitality, more genuine.
Again, as far "Kentucky" hospitality, it seems reserved for people that the one giving it out deems worthy. And maybe this is part of cliquey Louisville but people here either are really friendly to you or it seems you are not worth their time. This is especially true of people with more money. Whereas in the Midwest, the general consensus seems to be that even if you don't know someone yet, you might as well just treat them with kindness and decency because they're people. Can't speak for the entire South, I am just referring to Louisville.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2017 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: This is a thread about driving, please do not throw in controversial statements that will hijack it

Old 04-07-2017, 05:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
There seems to be a bit of thread creep occurring. The topic is about Louisville drivers. While the general disposition of the people of Louisville may be a part of that discussion, the focus of posting should be on drivers. Thank you in advance for keeping the tone of whatever comments you make respectful towards the good people of Louisville. As always, it is possible to discuss problems or shortcomings without being insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area