U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Dont feel bad, I couldnt remember either, and I've been there a bunch of times.
OMG!! I used to go to Rascals all of the time! I could not remember the name for the life of me! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,833 times
Those were the days! Toy Tiger, Rascals, Splash.... Oh my! Such great times!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 605 times
Does anyone remember the name of the band that played at Sahara Club in the early to late 70's? Seems like Jim Smith & Combo or something to this affect.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:12 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,544,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
the toy tiger was at bardstown rd and goldsmith just south of the watterson. you might be thinking of kelly's lounge that was in that area on dixie. it got bulldozed sveral years ago. i believe the italian place was the italian oven.
I've talked to a few people over the years that do infact remeber a Toy Tiger at that spot.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 392 times
Default Rascals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyShotgun View Post
This office building off Newburg Rd used to house a very popular night club during the 80s. Anyone remember the name? I think it was replaced by "Horsefeathers" in the early 90s.
That would have been Rascals. I used to work next door at Chevron. Iíve been there a few times myself.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 635 times
Default 80 yr. old retired pharmacist from beechmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69older_guy69 View Post
Anyone remember the Jerry's Restuarant on Bardstown Rd and hikes lane? Or how about the old Wagners Pharmacy on the corner of 4th and Central that had a fountain where I would save my lunch money to get a coke soda after shool (Holy Name Catholic), or Moss's Bakery at 4th and Heywood or the old Uncle Miltie's Pawn shop down the street or the Scobee bros hardware next store. There was a Gribbins dept store on the corner of 4th and central across from Wagners and a 5&10 next to it!
Lee Wagner and I went to UofK pharmacy school, graduating in 1960 and became good friends. I often tutored him as he was having difficulty in school, already having a family and struggling to make ends meet. His father Leo was an excellent gentleman who worked his entire professional life there at 4th and central. Next door, was scobees hardware. Janet and bobby(twins) were his children and I went to Male High with both. My wife of 50 years' grandfather worked for Scobees for many years.
There was also a famous bar between wagners and scobbes, for those who like to drink. It was owned by earl 'junior' garr, and quite a place known for 'activity'.
There was a bank across the street from Wagner's. The FBI and other federal agencies often rented the 2nd floor to 'observe' and document gamblers who frequented to Wagners' Pharmacy to buy their morning scratch sheet for Churchill downs. They even published a booklet for other agencies and most of the pictures were of known gamblers exiting Wagners' pharmacy.
Lee Wagner owned several tack shops across the country and supplied them with veterinary preparations which were documented in a well guarded notebook as their formulas were unique.
Dr. Alex Harthill famed vet. would often frequent the pharmacy as well. Now, that you know i'm well versed in south Louisville history, can anyone tell me what only a few know of those times? Did you ever hear of 'whiterock manner' out behind Iroquois park. If you do, then you are of my vintage.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 PM

4 posts, read 635 times
favorite part of fountain ferry, aside from the roller coaster, and fun house, was the penny arcade.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:03 PM

4 posts, read 635 times
Default Dick aschers' Merry Go round

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I've talked to a few people over the years that do infact remeber a Toy Tiger at that spot.
Bet those around 7th and arcade visited the merry go round too! just off berry blvd.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 AM

3 posts, read 449 times
Woolworth Stores especially with the lunch counters; Silverman's Dept Stores, they had Santa and the Easter Bunny there every year and they also sold the Buster Brown shoes with the Golden Egg surprises.....we loved those and going there with our Grandma; the Frisch's on 3rd Street; Sizzler, Ponderosa and Ryan's; the old Wynadotte Swimming Pool off Taylor Blvd; Villiage Inn Pizza; Rax Roast Beef; the Easter Bunny event at Southland Terrace where he would get up on top of the bldg and throw candy out to all the kids; Stewarts Dept Store, Woolco and Levy Brothers; Kenney's Shoe Stores; Sears and Bacons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or