Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:27 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjer View Post
Bet those around 7th and arcade visited the merry go round too! just off berry blvd.
Huh? I'm talking about where the Hooters is on dixie, right there near Jerrys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 83,926 times
"Does anyone remember the name of the band that played at Sahara Club in the early to late 70's? Seems like Jim Smith & Combo or something to this affect.[/quote]

Was it Mike Lunsford and the Whiskey River Band? They were the house band from about 1977-1981.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjer View Post
Lee Wagner and I went to UofK pharmacy school, graduating in 1960 and became good friends. I often tutored him as he was having difficulty in school, already having a family and struggling to make ends meet. His father Leo was an excellent gentleman who worked his entire professional life there at 4th and central. Next door, was scobees hardware. Janet and bobby(twins) were his children and I went to Male High with both. My wife of 50 years' grandfather worked for Scobees for many years.
There was also a famous bar between wagners and scobbes, for those who like to drink. It was owned by earl 'junior' garr, and quite a place known for 'activity'.
There was a bank across the street from Wagner's. The FBI and other federal agencies often rented the 2nd floor to 'observe' and document gamblers who frequented to Wagners' Pharmacy to buy their morning scratch sheet for Churchill downs. They even published a booklet for other agencies and most of the pictures were of known gamblers exiting Wagners' pharmacy.
Lee Wagner owned several tack shops across the country and supplied them with veterinary preparations which were documented in a well guarded notebook as their formulas were unique.
Dr. Alex Harthill famed vet. would often frequent the pharmacy as well. Now, that you know i'm well versed in south Louisville history, can anyone tell me what only a few know of those times? Did you ever hear of 'whiterock manner' out behind Iroquois park. If you do, then you are of my vintage.
Dont know if you still read these but my great grandma Ella Shivley owened the bar rite along side of Earl Garrs it was called Shivleys Resturant or bar she also owned "The circle end" where eddies seafood used to be on manslick fork in the road. Her daughter Evelyn Fox used to work there with her also. Just down the road was The Green mouse bar, Jutts, Quater Pole Lounge, and a little further was The Whirlaway all on 4th street walking distance. There was a drug store on 4th street I loved to go with my grandma called "Kliens Drugs" I sit at the counter and get real cherry cokes. Husband and wife owened it. My mom worked at the Ranch House which is Jim&Joes now, kinda. Thats going back to the 60's I believe.

Old 07-20-2022, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 681 times
Closed restaurants along Dixie highway near Bishop DAVID high school. I can’t remember the name of a hangout that we would drive through seemed like the circle traveled was Jerry’s at Upper Hunters, Burger Chef, McDonald’s and ?? Was in this area and seemed like it was a fast food burger place. I believe it was a white building Topps possibly?
Anyone recall what I can’t remember or maybe just lost my mind

Old 09-07-2022, 08:31 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
RIP Jerry's

Old 05-15-2023, 08:10 AM

25 posts, read 51,516 times
New Orleans House on Shelbyville Road. "Remember this is a feast and should take two hours to enjoy fully" as written on the menu. A seafood buffet that was a hallmark of all buffets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area