U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Almost Paradise
1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
Reputation: 4225

Advertisements

We have been in the area briefly a couple of years ago. I would like to know where the locals eat. Our policy is to not eat anywhere we could eat at home.
We plan to visit museums and distilleries--anywhere else you can suggest? Maybe something we wouldn't find in the travel brochures?
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Kentucky
163 posts, read 371,276 times
Reputation: 102
El Jimador
1009 Granite Dr., Bardstown


Stephen Foster Restaurant
503 W. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown


Kurtz Restaurant
418 E. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown


Old Talbott Tavern
107 W. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown
www.talbotts.com


Hurst Drug Store Soda Fountain
102 N. Third St., Bardstown


Mammy's Kitchen
114 N. Third St., Bardstown


Laha's Red Castle Hamburgers
21 Public Square, Hodgenville

The Whistle Stop
216 E. Main St., Glendale,
Family Restaurant | Whistle Stop KY | Home Cooking
They also have a location in E-town, off Ring Road.


Other stuff to do in the area:

Abbey of Gethsemani Visitor Center
3642 Monks Rd, Trappist, KY 40051

Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest
HWY 245, Clermont, KY 40110


Heaven Hill Distilleries Trolley
Bourbon Heritage Center, 1311 Gilkey Run Rd., Bardstown


Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Home at Knob Creek
US 31E


Kentucky Railway Museum
136 S. Main St., New Haven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
 
5,321 posts, read 7,656,746 times
Reputation: 9538
The Oscar Getz museum of Whiskey History in Bardstown is amazing....and free. Even if you are not a fan of whiskey you will find this museum interesting.

I could spend all day just looking at the old photos on the walls. I especially like how all the women in the wore fancy white dresses and fixed their hair to go work at the distilleries.

We watched a video of the Heaven Hill fire. It's around 30 minutes long, and I won't forget the sight of burning bourbon flowing down the hills and into the river. Interesting too was the huge number of firefighters from the different departments fighting the dangerous fire.

The two ladies who were running the museum were so interesting to speak with as well. They were very knowledgeable about the history of the entire area and whiskey production.

I never would have stopped at this museum except that my father, who had been there several times, insisted on it. It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Almost Paradise
1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatgirl View Post
El Jimador
1009 Granite Dr., Bardstown


Stephen Foster Restaurant
503 W. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown


Kurtz Restaurant
418 E. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown


Old Talbott Tavern
107 W. Stephen Foster Ave., Bardstown
www.talbotts.com


Hurst Drug Store Soda Fountain
102 N. Third St., Bardstown


Mammy's Kitchen
114 N. Third St., Bardstown


Laha's Red Castle Hamburgers
21 Public Square, Hodgenville

The Whistle Stop
216 E. Main St., Glendale,
Family Restaurant | Whistle Stop KY | Home Cooking
They also have a location in E-town, off Ring Road.


Other stuff to do in the area:

Abbey of Gethsemani Visitor Center
3642 Monks Rd, Trappist, KY 40051

Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest
HWY 245, Clermont, KY 40110

Heaven Hill Distilleries Trolley
Bourbon Heritage Center, 1311 Gilkey Run Rd., Bardstown

Abraham Lincoln Boyhood Home at Knob Creek
US 31E


Kentucky Railway Museum
136 S. Main St., New Haven
Thanks for the info--we plan to visit the Abbey and eat at the Whistle Stop. We ate at Kurtz, Mammy's and Old Talbot Tavern last trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Almost Paradise
1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The Oscar Getz museum of Whiskey History in Bardstown is amazing....and free. Even if you are not a fan of whiskey you will find this museum interesting.

I could spend all day just looking at the old photos on the walls. I especially like how all the women in the wore fancy white dresses and fixed their hair to go work at the distilleries.

We watched a video of the Heaven Hill fire. It's around 30 minutes long, and I won't forget the sight of burning bourbon flowing down the hills and into the river. Interesting too was the huge number of firefighters from the different departments fighting the dangerous fire.

The two ladies who were running the museum were so interesting to speak with as well. They were very knowledgeable about the history of the entire area and whiskey production.

I never would have stopped at this museum except that my father, who had been there several times, insisted on it. It turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.
We did visit the Oscar Getz museum last trip and was suprised at how much we learned. We only had time to visit one distillery and the lady working that day recommended Maker's Mark. We really enjoyed the tour but plan to visit others this trip.
Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM
 
Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 239,444 times
Reputation: 147
I helped paint at the Getz in the 80's. I love the place. And while it is free, they would sure appreciate anything you dropped into their little barrel, their utility bill is crazy. The Bourbon stuff is top notch, but don't miss the local area in the back. Bardstown has a pretty rich Jesse James history. Last time I was thru town (a month or so ago) there was a new restaurant in the basement that had replaced Xavier's. I think maybe...The Distillery. I haven't eaten there, but you might give that a try.

Barton has just built a new visitor center, but I haven't been. It's almost within walking distance of the Getz. They are Bardstown's only operating distillery, so you can actually do a tour. (Funny, being 'The Bourbon Capital of the World' and everything, Louisville and Lawrenceburg have more operating distilleries than Bardstown...) Heaven Hill's visitor center is a 'must do'. Their tasting room is shaped like a barrel, and you can tour a rackhouse. If you come in off I65, you'll be on Hwy. 245. After you pass Jm Beam and Bernheim (there's a very cool art exhibit using trees going on right now) there's Four Roses on the left. It's easy to miss. Now the actually distillery is east toward Frankfort, this is their warehouse facility (they are the only ones to use single story rack houses) and they've just built a new visitor center/gift shop as well.

And yeah, from the earlier list, don't miss the soda fountain. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM
 
9,655 posts, read 7,629,801 times
Reputation: 17487
Glendale, home of the Whistle Stop, is tiny but loaded with antique malls and shops. It's a good place to spend a couple of hours, if you appreciate antiques - very friendly people there, too.

Down the road about twenty miles on the outskirts of Horse Cave is Kentucky Down Under, with friendly, knowledgable and articulate guides, Australian birds and animals on the surface and a small but highly decorated cave below (that's awkwardly worded - sometimes the guides are underground in the cave, in addition to being on the surface!). The American Cave Museum is on Main Street in downtown Horse Cave, right beside another cave, the one which gave the town its name. A visit to the museum includes a look at the cave. There's also a good summer stock theatre in Horse Cave, just a short distance from the museum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Almost Paradise
1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCityDiva View Post
I helped paint at the Getz in the 80's. I love the place. And while it is free, they would sure appreciate anything you dropped into their little barrel, their utility bill is crazy. The Bourbon stuff is top notch, but don't miss the local area in the back. Bardstown has a pretty rich Jesse James history. Last time I was thru town (a month or so ago) there was a new restaurant in the basement that had replaced Xavier's. I think maybe...The Distillery. I haven't eaten there, but you might give that a try.

Barton has just built a new visitor center, but I haven't been. It's almost within walking distance of the Getz. They are Bardstown's only operating distillery, so you can actually do a tour. (Funny, being 'The Bourbon Capital of the World' and everything, Louisville and Lawrenceburg have more operating distilleries than Bardstown...) Heaven Hill's visitor center is a 'must do'. Their tasting room is shaped like a barrel, and you can tour a rackhouse. If you come in off I65, you'll be on Hwy. 245. After you pass Jm Beam and Bernheim (there's a very cool art exhibit using trees going on right now) there's Four Roses on the left. It's easy to miss. Now the actually distillery is east toward Frankfort, this is their warehouse facility (they are the only ones to use single story rack houses) and they've just built a new visitor center/gift shop as well.

And yeah, from the earlier list, don't miss the soda fountain. Hope you enjoy your trip.
Cheers!
Thanks for the information. During our last trip there was roadwork downtown around the visitor center and the trolley wasn't working. We hope to do more this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Almost Paradise
1,664 posts, read 1,607,117 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Glendale, home of the Whistle Stop, is tiny but loaded with antique malls and shops. It's a good place to spend a couple of hours, if you appreciate antiques - very friendly people there, too.

Down the road about twenty miles on the outskirts of Horse Cave is Kentucky Down Under, with friendly, knowledgable and articulate guides, Australian birds and animals on the surface and a small but highly decorated cave below (that's awkwardly worded - sometimes the guides are underground in the cave, in addition to being on the surface!). The American Cave Museum is on Main Street in downtown Horse Cave, right beside another cave, the one which gave the town its name. A visit to the museum includes a look at the cave. There's also a good summer stock theatre in Horse Cave, just a short distance from the museum.
Thanks for the information. We plan to spend some time in Glendale. Kentucky Down Under sounds interesting, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,051 posts, read 9,781,545 times
Reputation: 18865
The Whistle Stop in Glendale is far, far superior to the "branch" in E'town. If you like homestyle cooking Back Home in E'town is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top