U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 AM

12 posts, read 18,467 times

Advertisements

Should this born and raised Northern/Central California family move to Eastern Kentucky? I have been looking all over the web and it looks very beautiful. My husband will have an opportunity to move for work and I am wondering if we should take it. I am open to change. My biggest concern is my oldest son. He is in the fourth grade and has an IEP (individualized Education Plan). He is very smart, but has a learning disability that effects processing times. He has also been in Speech since he was 3 and since he had so much difficulty just learning how to say words properly, he is behind in language arts. I have heard that it's hard for kids to go from a California school system to another state. We are in a new community and have excellent schools by California's standards. We specifically moved to the community were in now, just to be in a better school district. So will we be welcome in Eastern Kentucky? What are the thoughts on my sons education. I really don't want him being teased or bullied. The school were in here has approximately 20 students in a classroom and the teacher really looks out for him. I am very involved in the school. I served two years as Parlimentarian on our PTA and both my husband and I volunteer often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:59 PM

970 posts, read 1,525,657 times
Where would you be moving to?

On the face of it, my initial reaction is no........no........not in a million years!!! Maybe you need to stay where you are?

If you are really considering moving to wherever, check it out in detail. Visit. Visit the schools. Arm yourself with as much information as possible to make an educated decision as to what is best for your family.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM

We would be staying somewhere in or around Louisville. I have been trying to find out as much as possible before we have to make a decision. I read that Oldham County has the best school district, where else are there good schools? Has anyone on here had any experiance with having a kid with an IEP. If so how do you feel about how your school is handeling it? My son is in a regular class most of the time. He goes to a resource class to take tests and he has modified homework. He also goes to speech 2 times a week, but most people don't even notice he has a speech problem. Where are the nice areas to live where you can rent for $1500 a mo? We would like a 3 or 4 bedroom. We have a daughter that is graduating college and applying at schools for her masters degree. We are trying to encourage her to apply to the University of Louisville. If she does, and ends up coming with us, we will want a 4 bedroom. I have never moved further than 5o miles away, so not really sure the best way. My friend moved to WV last year and I know how she did it was not a good way. They flew out and in a weekend rented a place, then he went ahead of her while she spent several months behind packing. I think I would prefer to sell most of what can be easily replaced, furiture, holiday stuff etc....then having it sent ABF and stored for a month or so while we stay in a residence inn and look for a place to rent that will be a good fit for us. I would like for my husband and I to fly out for the weekend, just to see if it's somewhere we can see ourselves living. I grew up in a small town and we have spent most of our time in the Central Valley of California, which has/had a lot of agriculture. I went camping every weekend growing up, my dad loved camping. I know it will be a culture shock but I don't think as much as if I had grown up in the city.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:04 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4luvnotmoney View Post
We would be staying somewhere in or around Louisville. I have been trying to find out as much as possible before we have to make a decision. I read that Oldham County has the best school district, where else are there good schools? Has anyone on here had any experiance with having a kid with an IEP.
WE thought of moving to Northern Cali around Eureka or Humboldt, but too many ties to the east. Why do you want to move to Louisville ? I love Louisville because it is a city with lots of culture, relatively speaking, and 20 minutes out, you're are in very rural areas. Best of both worlds.
My Wife is in the Oldham School District in a capacity that is involved with IEP's. Oldham is a fabulous school district, not just for Kentucky, but would be anywhere. Oldham is very conservative, and you would probably have to drive into Louisville to get some of your culture, but as far as schools go, there is none better in KY

Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,867,557 times
You mentioned "Eastern Kentucky", & I thought you posted in the wrong place. Eastern Kentucky is the mountains and that is totally different than Louisville.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:39 AM

2,093 posts, read 2,696,057 times
In Kentucky, "Eastern Kentucky" is thought to be Appalachia....rugged, mountainous, coal country. I'm thinking this is not what you had in mind.
I'd suggest spending a week in the area, check out the employer's situation, check out the commute times from various neighborhoods, check out the communities, check out the schools, shopping, entertainment, recreation....a weekend is not sufficient.
I grew up in San Jose, and really enjoyed the Louisville area, plenty of big city feel, but surrounded by "country". When we moved there in '83, an old realtor said it perfectly; "Louisville is far enough south to be Southern, but far enough north to be progressive"....we found it to be accurate.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,575,143 times
Lol, yes when you said Eastern Kentucky, I was thinking Appalachia - which is scenic, very beautiful, but
maybe not the place to receive the best education. Louisville is a whole other thing, you should be fine (I would stay outside of the city limits of Jefferson County though, if I were you, because sometimes children have to endure long bus rides to the other side of town. Oldham County would be excellent - or just across the bridge from downtown Louisville, you also have some great little towns in Southern Indiana. I was born and raised in Louisville and it's a great city.

My son had an IEP and went to speech therapy and some special ed classes - the public schools did a tremendous job with him
(although he struggled when little, all that work helped out in the end. He ended up an Honor Student in College on the deans list, and now is attending University of Kentucky's college of Engineering - on his college entrance exam he
scored in the top ten percentile in the country. (But we live in Lexington) He was bullied a bit, when he was younger
though, (honestly I think it had to do with other things though).

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 10-10-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM

You guys are absolutely right. I was mistaking when I said Eastern Kentucky. We would be relocating for my husbands job. The company he currently works for, may relocate him to Louisville. Being from Ca and living in a small community, we are quite used to a commute. My husband currently commutes an hour to 1 1/2 each way. We would prefer of course not to have a long commute, but we have always put the children first. I am back to being a stay at home mom, and will be when/if we move. I would love to live in an area with other stay at home moms. As I said I am very involved in the schools and other volunteering. I am also an Event Chair for Relay For Life and have been involved in Relay For Life for several years now as a Team member, Team Captain and Event Chair. I actually participate in two Events a year. My daughter was chairing the Relay For Life event at her University, so we participate in that as well. Obviously Relay For Life is important to me and I would like to be involved in some aspect in one, when/if we move. We however are not church goers and I am concerned that this will be a problem. We are also Democrats, although most of our friends are Republicans and we manage to get along fine. Oh and while we are not heavy drinkers, we do like to entertain and do have a bar. I really liked what I saw about Oldham County, but I think I saw it was a dry county. Will people be put off by the fact that we have a bar? I would like to get involved and make friends. I know we will be the outsiders and therfore prefer to acclimate and not try to bend people to my will. It's important to my husband and I to make friends and for my children to fit in and forge friendships. Oh one more thing, Doe Valley also looked nice, how is the commute and is it actually nice? I'm hoping my husband and I can fly out for a weekend and check things out a little. At least the culture.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM

6,278 posts, read 3,575,143 times
Oh, Louisville is very diverse, and all - you're not being Church goers should not be an issue. Neither should be being a Democrat....Kentucky is a very conservative state, but Democrats do outnumber Republicans. Anything close to Louisville will and should be open to people from other places, I don't think you would be considered an outsider at all really.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,900,385 times
I was born and raised in Kentucky, having lived in the areas of Madisonville in the west, Frankfort and Louisville (college) in the heart, and lastly, extreme Northern Kentucky.

Of all the major cities (and I don't mean Modesto, I mean major, large, regional centers of education, health, arts, culture, media, and entertainment) I've been to in the United States--and I've been to many--Louisville is my least favorite.

Yes, L.A. has horrible gridlock and slowly improving smog, but the energy there is amazing as it is essentially 100 suburbs searching for one identity. New York is just New York; Manhattan alone is worth a lifetime of exploration. San Francisco has a very snobby population, but with the Presidio, Mission, Haight-Ashbury, architecture, Golden Gate Park and overall scenery, it is a true world class city. Oakland is much cooler than people expect. D.C. is a treasure trove of history and just beautiful and clean in the tourist-friendly areas. Hell, I know people knock Texas cities but they are more similar to California cities than people give them credit for, IMO.

Louisville just has gruff, miserable people, a status quo culture, and really little else to get excited about other than an annoying college basketball rivalry and the "two minutes in sports" thing. I criticize Kentucky often because it is not without its flaws, but the arrogance that many Louisvillians have toward the rest of Kentucky is based on pure ignorance and just mind-boggling. (Live here long enough and you'll see.) It just...sucks. I'd rather live in Modesto because at least you're centrally located to some awesome things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area