Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM

182 posts, read 239,509 times

Advertisements

Aloha Friends,

I will be staying in Louisville for a couple of days on my way to Nashville. Will have my 4 year old son with me and would like to know what to see and do while in the area. I love unusual book stores, cafes and shops that sell items you don't see in every pottery barn and store window across the USA. Since I have a small child I won't be into the night life but would love suggestions of museums, zoos or other interesting things that a four year old would like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 AM

688 posts, read 3,038,640 times
Well, the Louisville Zoo is great: Welcome to the Louisville Zoo

Also, there are some fun museums downtown, like the Louisville Slugger museum Louisville Slugger Museum - Home Page Welcome and the Louisville Science Center: The Louisville Science Center Louisville Kentucky

For yourself, you would probably enjoy an afternoon strolling along the Highlands/Bardstown Rd area or Frankfort Ave (a little smaller, more upscale). Both have eclectic local shops, cafes, and bistros.

There is a nice park near downtown on the Waterfront, with fountains, playground, and views of the river. Nearby is the historic Belle of Louisville steamboat. Also, Cherokee Park and Seneca Park are close to the zoo and to the Highlands, and both are large, scenic areas, especially Cherokee.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
nlschro did a great job covering the top spots, especially the Slugger Museum and the zoo. Your son should love both of them, even at his age.

For offbeat shopping, I again completely agree with Bardstown Road and then Frankfort Road. There are some good little bookstores all up and down Bardstown Road. Unfortunately, one of the best independent book store in the country was absorbed by Borders - Hawley Cooke.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:28 AM

311 posts, read 1,376,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe View Post
Aloha Friends,

I will be staying in Louisville for a couple of days on my way to Nashville. Will have my 4 year old son with me and would like to know what to see and do while in the area. I love unusual book stores, cafes and shops that sell items you don't see in every pottery barn and store window across the USA. Since I have a small child I won't be into the night life but would love suggestions of museums, zoos or other interesting things that a four year old would like.
Interesting, I'll be staying in Louisville for a couple of days also, but on my way from Nashville. It's all part of a long trip. I'm basically driving in one big circle from New Jersey, through Virginia, across Tennesse and up through Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I also have a 3 year old daughter.

I did some research on area attractions. The zoo sounds really good so that will be our first priority (probably see you there ). There's a Kentucky Derby museum if you like horses, a science museum and a baseball museum. Definitely enough to interest you for a couple of days. I haven't been to Louisville before but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
nlschro did a great job covering the top spots, especially the Slugger Museum and the zoo. Your son should love both of them, even at his age.

For offbeat shopping, I again completely agree with Bardstown Road and then Frankfort Road. There are some good little bookstores all up and down Bardstown Road. Unfortunately, one of the best independent book store in the country was absorbed by Borders - Hawley Cooke.
Yeah, but one of the best independent stores I have seen is still left:

CARMICHAEL'S BOOKSTORE

Your best bet is to search my posts, as I have listed some of the coolest spots for several people relocating in the past few months.

Hip Louisvillians hate chains. You should too:

Keep Louisville Weird

Old 10-09-2007, 08:40 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolfan View Post
Interesting, I'll be staying in Louisville for a couple of days also, but on my way from Nashville. It's all part of a long trip. I'm basically driving in one big circle from New Jersey, through Virginia, across Tennesse and up through Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I also have a 3 year old daughter.

I did some research on area attractions. The zoo sounds really good so that will be our first priority (probably see you there ). There's a Kentucky Derby museum if you like horses, a science museum and a baseball museum. Definitely enough to interest you for a couple of days. I haven't been to Louisville before but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
You absolutely must see Bardstown Road for its shopping, dining, ice cream, etc, and the homes lining streets like Cherokee Road and Willow Avenue intersection.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Yeah, but one of the best independent stores I have seen is still left:

CARMICHAEL'S BOOKSTORE
Agree 100%. I hated losing Hawley Cooke and hope Carmichael's can keep their head above water. Borders does nothing for me, although I have to admit a grudging respect for Barnes & Noble.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:02 PM

200 posts, read 915,138 times
My family is in the process of moving, and whilst looking at housing we stayed at 21c; I would recommend it. My kids are 2 & 4, and loved the exhibits & moving penguins in the hotel...

I tried the Science Museum with them, the exhibits seemed to be for slightly older kids.

21c Museum Hotel | Southern-style Luxuries and Contemporary Art in Louisville, Kentucky (http://www.21chotel.com/hotel/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:06 PM

182 posts, read 239,509 times
Ok, we made it to Louisville. We are going to check out those bookstores for sure. What about fun eating places besides chains. I saw on another tread about paradise cafe,but some reviews were not that good.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:00 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Please keep in mind that the zoo will be closing early on Thurs,Fri ,sat and sun through the rest of October for the Halloween party. There is info on that on the website. If you see Daphne from Scooby Doo working, that will probably be me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area