Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Um......maybe I'm directionally impaired, but would not your husband be working in southWESTERN Louky? $1000 - 1500 will be hard in the Highlands. South of Gene Snyder there are some really decent areas. Forget Downtown..........you will have to drive for groceries, other shopping, etc.
You will have to drive for groceries? How so? There are 3 grocery stores within 2.5 miles of the central business district. If one were to live outside the Gene Snyder Freeway, there are neighborhoods 5 miles or more from the nearest grocery. I just do not buy that argument. Could downtown use a nice urban Target and maybe a Rainbow Blossom or Whole Foods? For sure. But it is not a major impediment to living there. The fact is, the only neighborhood in Louisville (and this is not uncommon in middle America outside Chicago and Minneapolis) where one may walk to the grocery store is Cherokee Triangle, the Heart of St Matthews, and now, Norton Commons. Also, there are plenty of upscale rentals in the Highlands for less than 1000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 06:18 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Well, Peter / STX............let's hear it from the Downtowners................? When you opt for the 'burbs, well, you opt for the "five-mile drive."

I would think Downtown, the expectations are very different, and surely, even you would not send people you know to the 2nd St. Kroger.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Well, Peter / STX............let's hear it from the Downtowners................? When you opt for the 'burbs, well, you opt for the "five-mile drive."

I would think Downtown, the expectations are very different, and surely, even you would not send people you know to the 2nd St. Kroger.
When I lived downtown, I went to that store for staples until I quit going because of stale bread I got there.

That store simply needs a renovation. I think Kroger is actually missing a big opportunity; a renovated super Kroger would do well there. Kroger did it in Cincy's Over the Rhine, a SIGNIFICANTLY more crime riddled and blighted area (although even OTR has mad a wonderful comeback and remains among my favorite urban nabes in the US). Also, little do you know, there are many rehabbed buildings, condos, and apartments for rent all around that area, and the Clarksdale projects, which brought the area down, are now leveled. There is even a gay hotel under development nearby. I drove by it recently and it should be finished soon:

NYC's 'The Out' hotel opens; Louisville plans their own gay hotel | Gadling.com

This is one of the very first gay hotels in middle America. But the media has the same condescending attitude about Louisville in this article as you do.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,722 times
Peter..............we are in agreement here!.....about Kroger.

Actually, my kids were friends with the son of the people behind the whole "gay hotel" thing........so there!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:04 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,909,720 times
1000-1500 will get you something pretty nice in just about all areas of louisville.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
Hi, did you move yet? We are fairly newly relocated to Louisville as well, and my wife is from Minnesota, be happy to help you out, show you around. Write me at [email]wac0202@gmail.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area