Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,294 times

Advertisements

^ this guy is barking up all the right trees. There's a reason all the homes weren't burned here in Louisville. The annals of history will not forget that. I'm not a revisionist.. I'm a realist. Louisville, Kentucky will always be a Northern City while the rest of KY largely lies with the South... period.

If I had the classical pen to draw those old boundaries... Loueeeville would be cut out of all Southern maps and sent back to DC... They should've just given it to Indiana at that point.

Central Kentuckians know Louisville was a traitor to the Misguided Southern Experiment... Just like they know that brothers took up arms against brothers in nearly every other city except good ol Lou.

Louisville, KY just tries to act Southern for publicity. It is not. There is culture and shopping and history and a river and a symphony etc... but the cultivated "southern image" is as fake as the silk flowers on my Mamanel's grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 AM

7,059 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopjonboswell View Post
^ this guy is barking up all the right trees. There's a reason all the homes weren't burned here in Louisville. The annals of history will not forget that. I'm not a revisionist.. I'm a realist. Louisville, Kentucky will always be a Northern City while the rest of KY largely lies with the South... period.

If I had the classical pen to draw those old boundaries... Loueeeville would be cut out of all Southern maps and sent back to DC... They should've just given it to Indiana at that point.

Central Kentuckians know Louisville was a traitor to the Misguided Southern Experiment... Just like they know that brothers took up arms against brothers in nearly every other city except good ol Lou.

Louisville, KY just tries to act Southern for publicity. It is not. There is culture and shopping and history and a river and a symphony etc... but the cultivated "southern image" is as fake as the silk flowers on my Mamanel's grave.
This post is a bit of hyperbole ,yet, I couldn't agree more. Louisville puts on this "southern" vibe to give itself identity. And to sell mint juleps at Derby.

In reality the city is nothing like a southern city (ie Birmingham) and shares more in common with nearby river Midwestern cities of Cincinnati and St. Louis (except more people in Lville have a bit of a "southern" twang). Yet, Louisville has this distinctly unique what I call, "Ohio River Valley" vibe. It is not south, not north, just Louisville.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,381,539 times
My GF is from Louisville and she says it's the South.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 AM

34 posts, read 72,613 times
I deleted it and started a new thread. my post wasn't really about Louisville being Southern vs Midwest.

Last edited by Cosmic Thunder; 08-06-2013 at 02:26 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 04:37 PM

213 posts, read 320,280 times
Louisville, Kentucky is a Southern city both linguistically and culturally. It has more in common with Nashville than with St. Louis and Cincinnati. Just because it's on a river doesn't mean it's not Southern.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:41 PM

868 posts, read 1,116,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Louisville, Kentucky is a Southern city both linguistically and culturally. It has more in common with Nashville than with St. Louis and Cincinnati. Just because it's on a river doesn't mean it's not Southern.
Is the Creationist museum still up ?

I had a good time in there, the caveman riding the dinosaur was a gateway fun house version of the South for me

Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Is the Creationist museum still up ?

I had a good time in there, the caveman riding the dinosaur was a gateway fun house version of the South for me
That is nowhere near Louisville. It is just as close to Cincinnati. I also highly doubt you have been there.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Wrong. Not even close. Louisville is an old industrial river city, much much more like Cincinnati (and also geographically much closer) than Nashville. Louisville does have some southern elements, but also is very Ohio Valley. You don't see people ask whether or not Nashville is southern. The fact that there are so many threads all over the net about whether Louisville is southern or not proves it is not totally southern in the true sense. It does have some southern sensibilities though.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
The Creation Museum is funded by a guy from Australia. Kentucky was chosen as the place to build it. There are people everywhere in America that believe in the literal Bible version of Creation and everywhere there are more people who don't.

Also I would have to disagree about Louisville being similar to Cincinnati. Cincy people are much more introverted, aggressive, and unfriendly (IMO) than people in Louisville. When I cross the river up there I feel like I've landed on a foreign planet

Old 08-19-2013, 07:00 AM

165 posts, read 307,805 times
Really? We're still having this discussion? Just let it go. There's no right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area