U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,203,006 times

Advertisements

Top U.S. travel destinations for 2013 - CNN.com

The buzz on Louisville builds....the new Portland or something more unique?

I think Louisville's future continues to develop as a hip center, a place for hospitality, good food, and good booze (bourbon) and it should really play on this new strength. I think if downtown starts to open more of the distilleries, as planned, it could really take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 01:53 PM

6,295 posts, read 3,591,915 times
Glad to hear this. Louisville deserves this recognition.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,761,110 times
I think there was some recognition of the local restaurant scene, too? Don't recall were but it was in a national publication or website?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM

39 posts, read 113,855 times
I may be partial; given that I was born there, but I have always felt that Louisville is one the the most overlooked cities in the country. The area has always had a good arts scene, good restaurants, and a good fan base for sports, but national recognition has always eluded the area. If Louisville could become Portland East, that would be outstanding; Oregon's largest city is known for its patronage of the arts, its liveability, and its environmental initiatives.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,761,110 times
^
Louisville has, I think, a long way to go to be as environmentally friendly or as transit/cycle oriented as Portland.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM

23,036 posts, read 32,022,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
I think there was some recognition of the local restaurant scene, too? Don't recall were but it was in a national publication or website?
There was a popular contest about the best food scene and people voted Louisville near the top.

Louisville is a very well kept secret as far as tourism goes. Its food scene rightfully deserves some attention. Louisville's future seems bright as far as tourism goes.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
Louisville has, I think, a long way to go to be as environmentally friendly or as transit/cycle oriented as Portland.

Agreed. Although I think it was named a "silver or bronze" city by a few bicycling associations (not gold which is reserved rightfully for places like Portland and of course NYC, Chicago etc).

Louisville does have a fairly large biking culture, and the completion of the Louisville Loop ,the 100 mile ring around the city, is the most ambitious park project in the nation. I know this for certain since i travel so much.

That said, if Louisville would just consider the 8664 plan, tearing out I-64 along the river, and give some consideration to light rail or trolleys, it could move up to be a world class mid sized city. A trolley line from the river down 4th to UofL, and a trolley from Main/Market through east market up Baxter/Bardstown would do wonders for the city, especially for tourism, and it would open it up to New Orleans style toursim and heritage draw, especially for people from MI, WI, OH, IL, IN and even other surrounding southern states.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,312,449 times
Im an annoying, filfy -ex-Vermont-, bicycle riding, tree hugging kommie hippy freak that researched Portland, Ashville and all the other cool hi-hipster meccas before ending up here. It might not be the best at anything, but the sum-total number for my personal stuff index ended up higher than other cool hi-hip places. I love it here and lasted 3 years even, a personal best given the last 10 years of roaming. That said, I don't want too many people to find out how cool it is, because when the secret is out, investors and developers will flock here to "improve" us.

You know how that goes . . . .

Heres to SyFy Channels "Scary Hillbilly" weekends

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM

142 posts, read 646,064 times
Default Until you snap-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
if Louisville would just consider the 8664 plan, tearing out I-64 along the river, and give some consideration to light rail or trolleys, it could move up to be a world class mid sized city. A trolley line from the river down 4th to UofL, and a trolley from Main/Market through east market up Baxter/Bardstown would do wonders for the city, especially for tourism, and it would open it up to New Orleans style toursim and heritage draw, especially for people from MI, WI, OH, IL, IN and even other surrounding southern states.
Until you snap-up wide awake from your "day-dreaming" and the realization sets in that; who is going to pay for it all?...

Cheers...

Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer View Post
Until you snap-up wide awake from your "day-dreaming" and the realization sets in that; who is going to pay for it all?...

Cheers...
Uh, that is a little rude I think. Who pays for trolleys in Memphis on Beale? New Orleans? It is not a dream; if the citizens/taxpayers of Louisville would wake up and realize the potential greatness of their city, you may see not a "boom" as thunderkat fears, but rather, positive sustained growth with good jobs for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or