Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM

302 posts, read 625,938 times

Advertisements

What is Jeffersontown? Is that a part of louisville or its own town? Ive been reading some interetsing things about it. Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 AM

No matter how many times I spin it, Oldham county just seems to be the best for me. My biggest concern right now is I want to rent first. I cant move to a new state and get 30 year mortgage and realize I hate it. I need a trial first. I cant find rentals in La Grange in Bardstown. All the rentals are in Lexington. There has to be some in Louisville because its so much bigger. But where do I look for rentals in Louisville that are low crime and good PUBLIC schools?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
If you move to inside Jefferson County, you just won't have much say as to where you Children attend school, you could move to a nice,low crime area, and they might end up being bussed across town to a not so nice area. So, Louisville is great, don't get me wrong, (I grew up there) but I would not use their public schools system personally. I would find some place to rent in Bardstown or Oldham if I were you, or if I decided to stay in Louisville, I would spend less on the home and invest the rest into a Parochial education.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:53 PM

What horse ****. So you pay the price for a nice home and higher property taxes and taxes into the school system so the government decides where they go to school? No wonder their rating for schools are so low with exception of private schools. At least Lexingtons schools for the most part receive good ratings, public or private

Old 12-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Ha ha! They blocked out my curse word!!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Lol.
(Louisville does have some good schools also, but it also has some really bad ones.) You just don't know where they will end up. I always liked having my son (my only child, he is in college now though)
close by when he was little, so I could pick him up from school easily and quickly if anything happened.)

Old 12-29-2012, 03:23 PM

Im sure there are some good schoools but if you cant be sure your child will be in one, there is no point living there. And good point...all my kids are within 5-10 minutes from my house. I wouldnt want them on the other side of the town or city

Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM

728 posts, read 1,669,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
When I say newer construction I mean 0-15 years old so hopefully that will open up availability for me a bit. I definitely dont want to live in the thick of the city and never want to gamble with schools. I have 5 kids! Thats why Oldham sounds better to me. But by what you just said, I should be able to get a larger home on an acre as long as its a bit older.

One thing that bothers me is from what I researched there is a higher chance of tornadoes near Louisville than Lexington. And being by the river with flooding.
No worries about inland flooding in Oldham. In Louisville you are protected by a system of flood walls and levees. *Now* there have been some recent flooding in the low areas of southern jefferson county, but MSD has been working on drainage issues. However, heavy rains will cause flooding along the usual culprits such as Beargrass Creek and the drainage ditches in the south end.

Tornado season is always exciting. However, your odds of being affected by a tornado, let alone a major twister are very very low. More than likely you will see your share of high winds, heavy rain and hail and hear the occasional siren. i suppose it's a risk, but nothing like living in the midwest.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 PM

I have heard that tornadoes touch down every day in KY? Is that true? Or are they tiny ones? What are the sirens for?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:00 AM

There are tornado sirens here, but no ofcourse tornado's don't touch down every day.
Could you imagine?
Tornado season is usually in Spring, especially March and April,and while tornado warnings are not uncommon, in the Spring
most of the time, they most often don't touch down to ground.
It's not as bad as some places, like in tornado alley, they can still occur, and they are more common in the extreme Western part of the State. Last March I think it was a terrible tornado hit West Liberty, Kentucky and literally tore away parts of the town, and Main Street.
But yet, they can and do still happen (see here). Tornado's are usually the results of cold air and hot air
mixing together, so Spring is usually the time they are most probable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area