Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 07:40 PM

302 posts, read 629,518 times

Advertisements

If I dont want to live in the actual city but within 15-20 minutes, where would I be looking if I wantd a house worth about 250,000, around 3,000 sq ft, maybe on an acre, new construction, low crime, good schools, catholic churches, lots of borading/riding stables??? What towns surrounding Louisville match this criteria? Im on different realtor sites to see whats avaibale for rent and I dont know what towns to put in their search engine that are just outside the city.I put in Louisville and it brings up mainly apartments. Are there specific towns I should be looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
If I dont want to live in the actual city but within 15-20 minutes, where would I be looking if I wantd a house worth about 250,000, around 3,000 sq ft, maybe on an acre, new construction, low crime, good schools, catholic churches, lots of borading/riding stables??? What towns surrounding Louisville match this criteria? Im on different realtor sites to see whats avaibale for rent and I dont know what towns to put in their search engine that are just outside the city.I put in Louisville and it brings up mainly apartments. Are there specific towns I should be looking in?
If you want that much acreage, be prepared to pay for it. This home meets all your criteria:

Farmhouse style home on 1.5 acres

Towns to search include Prospect, Crestwood, La Grange, Buckner, PeeWee Valley, Orchard Grass Hills, Goshen.

Tomocox, are you still around?

The craigslist site I linked you to has a map where you can search by location. That entire I-71 corridor near I-265 meets your needs. Keep in mind Louisville is a "merged city." This concept is not common where you are from, but essentially the city of Louisville "annexed and merged" with dozens of small cities in Jefferson County, KY. The county is relative small (less than 400 sq miles) yet many folks with a "Louisville" address do not live in a true city like area at all, but rather a subdivision or suburb.

The urban area of Louisville is inside the loop contained by I-264, and as has been mentioned here, there are great opportunities in that area for folks who like good food, culture, architecture, the arts, etc.

Another example, much more in line with the going rate for luxury rentals, but you do not get land (but rural areas are just minutes away)

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/3429518580.html

Still another option, even cheaper:

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/3476252062.html

In LaGrange, which has a cute little downtown with railroad tracks and feels more like a "small town" you would see in the NE, although its decidedly southern with of course horse farms and rural areas all around nearby.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/apa/3460713346.html

Ladyalicia, you really need to plan a trip out to the area. Believe it or not, this can be done affordably. There is a newish website where you can rent from local homeowners across the globe. While most listings are in downtown type areas, here is a very chap way to check out the area for a few days:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/306102

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-18-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 AM

728 posts, read 1,676,074 times
LaGrange. Great school system and a Catholic church in town. Plenty of land around town and towards neighboring Henry county.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM

So both of you say La Grange? can someone tell me how to pronounce that? Short or long A?

Anyhow, Peter whats funny is the first link is a house for 2500 on 1.5 acres and over 3000 sq feet. I currently pay 2200 for a 1600 sq foot house with only enough land for a pool. You see why I have to move? I can get so much more down by you

Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM

9 posts, read 28,948 times
What do you consider "new construction"? I'm assuming you mean built within the past year? We have friends moving out here that had criteria similar to yours and ultimately found something close but after a painstaking search, they had to make a few compromises.

For that price, you can either find the new construction or the land, but not both. It comes down to what is most important to you. I agree that La Grange is the way to go to get the bang for your buck, but it is about 30-40 minutes from downtown Louisville. Our friends found a house on 1 acre built in 2005 listed for $260,000 (and negotiated down to $240,000).

If you want to talk new construction, we are building a 2700 sq. ft. house in East Louisville (25 minutes from downtown) for just over $200,000, but our lot is 1/4 of an acre. If you have kids, Oldham County is the way to go for schools (La Grange, etc as I mentioned above), BUT if you do your research and want to gamble on hopefully getting in, you can find some great schools in Jefferson County as well. My husband and I are currently childless and both work in the city so we didn't want to go that far out, but bussing in the JCPS school system is always in the back of our minds and a bridge we'll cross when we get to it.

If you think about what's most important to you and make some slight compromises, you'll find what you're looking for - just most likely not all of it. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akb1013 View Post
What do you consider "new construction"? I'm assuming you mean built within the past year? We have friends moving out here that had criteria similar to yours and ultimately found something close but after a painstaking search, they had to make a few compromises.

For that price, you can either find the new construction or the land, but not both. It comes down to what is most important to you. I agree that La Grange is the way to go to get the bang for your buck, but it is about 30-40 minutes from downtown Louisville. Our friends found a house on 1 acre built in 2005 listed for $260,000 (and negotiated down to $240,000).

If you want to talk new construction, we are building a 2700 sq. ft. house in East Louisville (25 minutes from downtown) for just over $200,000, but our lot is 1/4 of an acre. If you have kids, Oldham County is the way to go for schools (La Grange, etc as I mentioned above), BUT if you do your research and want to gamble on hopefully getting in, you can find some great schools in Jefferson County as well. My husband and I are currently childless and both work in the city so we didn't want to go that far out, but bussing in the JCPS school system is always in the back of our minds and a bridge we'll cross when we get to it.

If you think about what's most important to you and make some slight compromises, you'll find what you're looking for - just most likely not all of it. Good luck!
When I say newer construction I mean 0-15 years old so hopefully that will open up availability for me a bit. I definitely dont want to live in the thick of the city and never want to gamble with schools. I have 5 kids! Thats why Oldham sounds better to me. But by what you just said, I should be able to get a larger home on an acre as long as its a bit older.

One thing that bothers me is from what I researched there is a higher chance of tornadoes near Louisville than Lexington. And being by the river with flooding.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:11 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
When I say newer construction I mean 0-15 years old so hopefully that will open up availability for me a bit. I definitely dont want to live in the thick of the city and never want to gamble with schools. I have 5 kids! Thats why Oldham sounds better to me. But by what you just said, I should be able to get a larger home on an acre as long as its a bit older.

One thing that bothers me is from what I researched there is a higher chance of tornadoes near Louisville than Lexington. And being by the river with flooding.
The river does not flood inland in Oldham County. The difference in tornado risk is essentially negligible. Do not let that affect your move.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 AM

470 posts, read 1,073,363 times
I built a home in Spencer County (Fishierville address) and still miss that area! A lot less traffic than other areas, and more bang for your buck!

Good luck! Jules

Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The river does not flood inland in Oldham County. The difference in tornado risk is essentially negligible. Do not let that affect your move.
Well thats good news!!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM

51 posts, read 73,584 times
Shelbyville, KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area