Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
ned ned started this thread

2 posts, read 9,386 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I've recently accepted a job offer in Louisville and plan on moving in January 2007. The problem is, I'm afraid of the culture shock from Chicago, where I currently live. I'm a little unsure about trading working in a 50 story building in the shadow of the Sears Tower for a downtown known for its comically large baseball bat. That being said, I'm sure there are loads of things Louisville has to offer an urbanite, right?

I'm 26 years old, and will be moving with my girlfriend and 2 dogs from a great neighborhood in Chicago, full of tons of people, diversity, a thriving cultural scene, etc. I've been told to look into the Highlands area, as thats as close to the tightknit coffee shop/bars shopping/living area that we're used to. Are there any other suggestions for areas to look into? We know we're not going to have Chicago in Louisville, but we both absolutely refuse to live within suburban sprawl. We like to walk to the bar, and pretty much everywhere we can.

So, Louisvillians, please give me some encouragement about your fine city. I'm used to the huge buildings, the hustle and bustle, millions of art galleries and museums, and the general progressive political climate of the Windy City.

I've lived in Nashville, as well, so thats the only other place I have to weigh Louisville against. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm getting myself into.

Oh, and one of my dogs is a pitbull, does anyone know if Louisville has Breed Specific Legislation against them?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by ned; 10-03-2006 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 02:18 PM

528 posts, read 2,480,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned View Post

Oh, and one of my dogs is a pitbull, does anyone know if Louisville has Breed Specific Legislation against them?

oh, man.....you should RUN from Lousiville if you own a pit bull. There is BSL legislation pending, and if it passes, will extend well beyond the targeted breeds. Local kennel clubs are fighting this, but it is an uphill battle at the moment. Take a look at www.louisville-pets.com for more infomation....

Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM
ned ned started this thread

2 posts, read 9,386 times
Oh my god. I just read that. Mine is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and she's fixed and has been through obedience class here in Chicago.

Does anyone else have any other information on this BSL? Are there any "pit" owners on here? What are all the dog owners going to do??

Last edited by ned; 10-06-2006 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Never fear, Louisville is the best place for you to move in the Midwest/South region outside maybe Minneapolis and Saint Louis for lots of culture. The city is really unlike the rest of KY and has great museums, nightlife, and restuarants. try coming in with an open mind instead of thinking "Oh ****, its KY." It is well known for eclectic urban neighborhoods. Think of it as Chicago's baby 2 yr old cousin with a southern twang.

I think you will find Louisville to be surprisingly urban. I am guessing you probably lived somewhere like Lincoln Park in Chicago. If so, you will enjoy the Highlands, which is actually very similar but obviously on a smaller scale. Louisville (in the city) is very liberal and diverse. If I were you, I would look somwehere off of Cherokee Road. I like the area where Cherokee Rd meets Highland ave. Drive up and down bardstown road and explore all the shops, restuarants, nightlife, etc. Be sure to explore all the side (cross) streets and if you are renting, your best bet is to drive around and call the for rent signs that people post in their front yards.

Old Louisville (around 4th and Hill), Cresecent Hill/Clifton (Frankfort Ave area), and the Heart of St Matthews (near intersection of Shelbyville, Breckenridge, Lexington, and Chenoweth) would also interest you.

Also, don't rule out downtown. While sleepy compared to Chicago, downtown Louisville is currently in an uprecedented boom. Two cool projects to start soon remind me of Chicago type stuff:

www.museumplaza.net and

www.riverparkplace.net

4th street live and main and market are also fun for museums, art gallery hops on the first friday of the month.

4th street live itself contains a larger concentration of bars in one block than anywhere in Chicago, although it is somewhat "cheesy" and "touristy" like Division street in Chicago.

www.velocityweekly.com
www.leoweekly.com

are two online magazines where you can read about some local culture.

http://www.louisvilleoriginals.com/

is a site which lists some good local restuarants comprable to places in Chicago that you would find in Lincold Park, Bucktown, etc.

Overall, Louisville is cheap and chill, and may seem kind of "dead" compared to Chicago, but if you know where to look, its a pretty vibrant city, and it is certainly better than anywhere else I have lived in this region (Nashville or Cincinnati).

Old 10-23-2006, 01:55 AM

19 posts, read 61,369 times
Default Dogs

One of the things I was wondering about was where people walked their dogs, and if there were any nice off leash areas. I checked outd the website for the proposed legislation but it is a little difficult to understand exactly what the restrictions will be.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzun View Post
One of the things I was wondering about was where people walked their dogs, and if there were any nice off leash areas. I checked outd the website for the proposed legislation but it is a little difficult to understand exactly what the restrictions will be.
The pit bull ordinance probably won't pass, but it is another example of the liberal nature of Louisville. I think they vote on it sometime next year. Many coastal cities have these ordinaces but they usually are not enforced. Several people, mostly in the city's westeren and poorer sections, have been mauled by pitballs, so that is the reason the issue is here.

Anyhow, I would get any kind of dog you want, just don't let it run wild if it is a pit bull or other more agressive dog.

Louisville is filled with massive parks, but since I do not own a dog, I am not sure about "dog parks." I know I have heard of some, and there are several new condo developments that are including them. Go to this site:

www.louisvilleky.gov

It is the city's official website and is very good; in fact it was rated as one of the most useful city websites in the country, so you can probably find your answer somewhere there under the residents section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area