Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Oh, you've been here longer than , friend! Oh I remember the buzz from 2 years ago. I had not been here too long and thought, oh wow I could never live through this every year! Or maybe it was may place off Cherokee Park had it bad!
I was actually living on Edenside at the time of those cicadas as well. They were HORRID! But I had an african bullfrog at the time that would eat them. Made for cheap frog food! There are actually websites with recipes for people to cook the nasty critters to eat themselves! YUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Default Bug Expert

The yearly cicada that stays in the tree during the Summer will not swarm, but you may see some shells on the ground in the early morning or one that is whole, but dead usually. Most birds have had them for breakfast before you can detect their presence. Try looking on the ground around 5:30 A.M.

The 17 year cicada is another beast, which I personally dread and may have a heart attack the next time they come. I will have to be on a long vacation when they come back. I am here in Cincy, so the last time they arrived I had to take a valium and an antidepressant medication to deal with their invasion of my space. I saw the psychiatrist first and he told me I have this fear because I like to have control of my enviroment. Well his diagnosis is far from the truth, but I just shook my head to get my meds and laughed to myself. I have had a fear of bugs since a bat got into our home when I was three and anything that has wings and flies around drives me crazy.

I am the expert on those June Bugs too. One got in my sister's Afro when we were young and it was a horrific experience for her. She eventually got it out because noone was going to help her. My Dad was not home to assist, or he would have removed it for her. My mom has a fear of bugs as well, so she was no help to her either. My daughter got one caught in her braids over the Summer and fortunately she was taking them down the next day and lo and behold it was there. She mentioned that while she was sleeping she kept hearing something, but was not thinking that a June Bug was just chillin in one of her braids. It was hilarious when she told the story. June Bugs actually show up in May and they are ugly and buzz around your windows if lights are on. They are attracted to any light, so best to keep those porch lights off. Try turning on your light in a room and open the window and watch them gather all over the screen. A sight to see!! They are from the japanese beetle family. Brown and hideous, plus they make some kind of weird noise to let you know they are present. Any other bug concerns I can address?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
They have cicadas in Las Vegas as well....and So. California is has June Bugs from early May to the end of July.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Ah, I'm in Southern CA now, and believe me, the June bugs here are nothing to what I saw when I was a kid in South Lake Tahoe which is in the Sierra Nevada's[Northern Ca], these would be pebbles in comparison. Or maybe it was that exaggerated imagination as a kid eh? Funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area