Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:44 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
The type of people you meet here will vary greatly depending on what part of town you're in. I prefer the highlands, clifton,crescent hill or east market district (i refuse to say nulu lol), probably because i'm a liberal, artsy, foodie musician with no kids. others who raise families might prefer other options, but in my opinion the only reason to come to louisville is because of it's urban core which is very unique. similar suburbia can be found just about anywhere in the u.s. but an area like the highlands is something I have not seen in any other city I've been to. the great thing about living in the areas i've mentioned is having great amenities rivaling a much bigger city while not having to deal with all of the negative aspects of big city life.cherokee park is a gem right in the middle of the coolest neighborhood in town. the food scene is incredible and has been voted top five nationally. as I said, i've been a musician in this town for 20 yrs. and will tell you that the scene here is good. plenty of venues for original or cover bands, and a wide variety of styles of music.

now for the bad.

First of all, the weather is quite depressing at times. weeks on end of no sun and rain. we are one of the worst places in america for seasonal allergies, and while that might sound trivial, it really affects tons of people here on a daily basis, myself included.as I said before, depending on what part of town you are in, there are a lot of trashy redneck types here and the city has been known for being kind of insular.

all in all I think louisville Is a great city for me Inside the watterson expressway and east of I-65. I don't think I would be happy living anywhere else In the state.
Good post, I think I repped you too soon ago to give you another.
It is worth mentioning that there are bumper stickers that say "Im from Louisville, not Kentucky".
Still, I have to keep in mind that when I recommend KY, I look at stuff from a strictly cultural point of view. Music and art is what my SO and I look for. Inside 65 provides it by the ton. KY to me, as a whole, has a lot of crossover appeal to people of many different preferences. I watch KET all the time, and that guy who has the dog name 'Toby', does pieces on places that would appeal to anyone from rednecks to Norman Rockwell fans. I lived in Vermont for a few years, and in a weird, Twilight Zone sort of way, some of KY is more 'Vermont', than Vermont is if going by perception alone. Everyone focuses on East Caost / West Coast -- But, I feel when people are lucky enough find "their" place, it will be somewhere they never expected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
Quote:
... but an area like the highlands is something I have not seen in any other city I've been to....
Wow...seriously? I know it's nice, but what other cities have you've been to, and what makes the Highlands so different?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,909,230 times
i've lived in 17 states and traveled my whole life.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,354 times
ok, but why is the Highlands so exceptional for you?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:58 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
ok, but why is the Highlands so exceptional for you?
I actually agree in some regards with that statement, and I have also lived all over. There are very few neighborhoods outside the top 5 cities where you combine an urban park like Cherokee, the upscale nature and general safety of the Highlands, and such a walkable, kitchy, urban strip that mixes upper class families with youth, hipsters, college students, and gays, then has that classic historic architecture at reasonable prices.

The closest examples I can think of are perhaps Hell's Kitchen in NYC or Wicker Park in Chicago (obv on bigger scale); an area like the Highlands simply is unprecedented in the southeast US; not even in Atlanta or Dallas. One could make an argument for New Orleans, yet, it does not have an area with a park like Cherokee with the kinds of demographics you see in the Highlands. Portland and Seattle do have an "answer" for the area like the Highlands, but that is all the way out west.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I actually agree in some regards with that statement, and I have also lived all over. There are very few neighborhoods outside the top 5 cities where you combine an urban park like Cherokee, the upscale nature and general safety of the Highlands, and such a walkable, kitchy, urban strip that mixes upper class families with youth, hipsters, college students, and gays, then has that classic historic architecture at reasonable prices.

The closest examples I can think of are perhaps Hell's Kitchen in NYC or Wicker Park in Chicago (obv on bigger scale); an area like the Highlands simply is unprecedented in the southeast US; not even in Atlanta or Dallas. One could make an argument for New Orleans, yet, it does not have an area with a park like Cherokee with the kinds of demographics you see in the Highlands. Portland and Seattle do have an "answer" for the area like the Highlands, but that is all the way out west.
Another thing I feel makes the Highlands area unique is that other than the Derby, Louisville is not what most would consider a "Destination City". Most other places that have similar neighborhoods, lets say Burlington VT, Savannah GA or New Hope Pa, for instance, are all sort of touristy, destination culture for different reasons. A Bardstown Road/Highlands atmosphere that is a more local one and exists outside the usual destination-travel stuff, make it sort of unique.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post

couldn't have responded any better than that. thanks.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 PM

31 posts, read 67,285 times
I really did not like Louisville at all and would not recommend anyone moving there. I will be fair and say I could've given it more of a chance (I stayed for a year and a half only). I will also be honest and say I am not a lifelong resident that will defend a certain city to my dying day. Although there will likely be louisville residents who will be angry or hurt that I speak poorly of it.

I guess my general dislike for Louisville has something to do with its lack (in my opinion) of culture. I would like to qualify that statement with some examples... New Orleans is a city with an identifiable culture, Chicago also, Philly, even plenty of smaller places have a culture. I really felt like Louisville has absolutely none, besides staunch college sports rivalry.

The region is certainly a pretty good place for hiking.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphotism View Post
I really did not like Louisville at all and would not recommend anyone moving there. I will be fair and say I could've given it more of a chance (I stayed for a year and a half only). I will also be honest and say I am not a lifelong resident that will defend a certain city to my dying day. Although there will likely be louisville residents who will be angry or hurt that I speak poorly of it.

I guess my general dislike for Louisville has something to do with its lack (in my opinion) of culture. I would like to qualify that statement with some examples... New Orleans is a city with an identifiable culture, Chicago also, Philly, even plenty of smaller places have a culture. I really felt like Louisville has absolutely none, besides staunch college sports rivalry.

The region is certainly a pretty good place for hiking.
Where do you live now?
It just goes to show, one mans paradise is another mans prison.
I lived in Philly for 30+ years and the only identifiable culture I saw was sprawling filth and crime, relative to other cities of its size. Comparing Louisville to Philly is hard to do on any level. If I never see it or hear of it again, I will be better off

Old 03-18-2013, 03:49 AM

I'm no great defender of louisville. I plan on moving as soon as my home sells. but I do find it funny when people speak of new york or chicago and the culture in those citys. you know, like all the museums that locals NEVER go to and are constantly packed full of tourists. lol.

oh, don't forget bagels, deep dish pizza and cheese steak, all of which are fortified with extra-culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area