Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,686 times

Advertisements

OK, well, after basically wanting to escape NW Illinois for MAAAAANY reasons, it looks like the suburbs around Louisville would be a viable place to move for me. I am a 30-year-old single male, who eventually wants kids. I currently own a 4 bedroom/2.5 bath house, 2638 sqft, on 1/3rd of an acre. I have a dog, so I'd like a decent yard, and nearby parks/forests/dog parks (I don't think anyone outside of around Illinois have Forest Preserves). I love to ride motorcycles, though I just recently had to sell mine (will get one again someday soon enough). I have a BFA in Graphic Design, but want to break into the I.T. world. I'd prefer some good Internet and TV. I already have to drive like 10-15 mins to get to anything as it is, since I'm kind of in the middle of cornfields, so that doesn't matter to me. Chicago is about an hour away with mild traffic. I've been "over" the bar scene and clubbing and crap like that for quite awhile now, so I don't care about that.

Some reasons why this area of Kentucky seems great (relative to NW Illinois):

- MUCH more gun-friendly!!!
- It's a red state!
- Lower unemployment
- Lower taxes
- Less illegal immigrants
- Less traffic
- Less Muslims
- Warmer weather with less snow, but still has seasons
- People are still nice
- Relatively safe
- Suburban, yet decently close to a bigger city
- Doesn't cost me $8k/year in real estate taxes on a $250k house!!!
- Gas doesn't cost me $4.59/gallon...
- EVERYTHING is cheaper...
- Etc...

I was thinking something like Mount Washington? Jeffersonville? Any suggestions? Questions?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:39 PM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Hi!
It would be much less expensive to live in the Louisville Metro area - wow, the taxes on your home sound killer!
Yes, we are gun friendly.
Kentucky maybe a red state - but it applies more to rural Kentucky, you will find the cities of
Louisville and Lexington to be generally much more Liberal and Progressive. (In recent elections the state votes Red,
but Louisville and Lexington voted blue) - but ofcourse, that is just a generalization of the data.

I am not sure how to tell if an immigrant is legal or illegal, but we do have immigrants, quite a few actually - but they seem to be hard working, friendly people who work hard and don't really cause any trouble. I think it's good to be exposed to people of different cultures and nationalities, it teaches tolerance and we become a more culturally diverse society.
When my Grandmother came to America from Germany, she lived in Chicago for awhile, before relocating in Louisville.
I love the Mount Washington area (at least when I lived in Louisville)some people might consider it a bit remote, but that never bothered me) Indiana is nice also (I am not sure how the tax structure over in
Jeffersonville rates in comparison to Louisville though.) I have two cousins who live in Indiana and commute to Louisville though.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Quote:
(I don't think anyone outside of around Illinois have Forest Preserves).
Here''s your sign:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroPar...emorialforest/

(I was hking this last weekend).

In Chicagoland the Forest Preserves are sort of scattered around following the rivers (like the Des Plaines, North Branch, etc). In Louisville they have one huge one that is based on some fairly rugged hill country.

... but they are also developing some parks along a river valley east of the city, btw Lou. and Mount Washington, actually.

Yeah, I think Lousiville might be a good fit, particularly the outer areas like Bullit County (which is Mount Washington, Shepardsville, the Route 44 corridor). Lots of mini-farms and large lot stuff there.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 9,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnikeJSB View Post
OK, well, after basically wanting to escape NW Illinois for MAAAAANY reasons, it looks like the suburbs around Louisville would be a viable place to move for me. I am a 30-year-old single male, who eventually wants kids. I currently own a 4 bedroom/2.5 bath house, 2638 sqft, on 1/3rd of an acre. I have a dog, so I'd like a decent yard, and nearby parks/forests/dog parks (I don't think anyone outside of around Illinois have Forest Preserves). I love to ride motorcycles, though I just recently had to sell mine (will get one again someday soon enough). I have a BFA in Graphic Design, but want to break into the I.T. world. I'd prefer some good Internet and TV. I already have to drive like 10-15 mins to get to anything as it is, since I'm kind of in the middle of cornfields, so that doesn't matter to me. Chicago is about an hour away with mild traffic. I've been "over" the bar scene and clubbing and crap like that for quite awhile now, so I don't care about that.

- It's a red state!
- Lower unemployment
- Lower taxes
- Less traffic
- Less Muslims
- People are still nice
- Relatively safe
- Etc...

I was thinking something like Mount Washington? Jeffersonville? Any suggestions? Questions?

Thanks all!
Hi,

Yes you are correct I have family in the Chicago area and I live in Louisville with family here as well, and yes taxes are less and less traffic for sure.. Family members that have relocated from Chicago to Louisville are glad they did. Everything seems to be cheaper in Louisville.

If you want a laid back approach to life then I would recommend Mt. Washington area. People are really nice and friendly. Not to far from the Louisville area.

If you are wanting a little faster pace on life especially being single Louisville has more to offer as far as the night life, parks, employment, dining, and relatively safe place to live.

There are some nice homes in both areas that i feel will suit your needs. Whatever you choice is Mt. Washington or Louisville I think you will be pleased you made the transition. Good Luck on your decision.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Default Make your escape!

Quote:

- It's a red state!
- Lower unemployment
- Lower taxes
- Less traffic
- Less Muslims
- People are still nice
- Relatively safe
- Etc...

Thanks all!
Hello I understand your problem. I'm from Gurnee and I did the same thing five years ago. First I moved to Old Louisville then I moved to New Albany where I remain today. Planning to stay here and buy a house (when I told my family from Illinois what property taxes are like in southern Indiana they were literally like ). Old Louisville is affordable and centrally located but the novelty of "historic" buildings wore off in just a couple years. Of course living in New Albany is still car-centric but I don't live more than two or three miles away from any store I want to visit.

Yes, everything is less expensive here and people tend to be more friendly, definitely NOT in a rush. Traffic is much better and "15 minutes" to get somewhere DOES mean 15 minutes. And of course less construction. There are immigrants but not nearly as many as in the Chicago area. People here talk about "so many Hispanics" moving here and I'm thinking "you have no idea." Most of the population is either black or white American, with some immigrants here and there--most from Latin America, a few from Asia, Africa and the Middle East. I think relations between black and white Americans are much better here than around Chicago. The residential areas look so much less segregated, for one thing. I don't think you will have trouble fitting in but people will notice if you have the northern accent. Outside of the East End of Louisville this area is not known for "transplants" from other states.

You are correct about the seasons: we still get four seasons but far, far less snow. Aside from the "ice storm" in 2009 I can't think of a time when we have gotten near a foot of snow in 24 hours in the last five years. Snow down here looks like a "dusting" compared to Chicago. Usually if you wake up to snow in the morning it will be melted away by the evening. School closes over 1/2 an inch sometimes! The problem here is ice so watch out for that! Also summer is significantly more humid and sunny but I don't think it's unbearable.

Others have suggested the southern suburbs of Louisville, and I go along with that. Bullitt county might be your place since you like land, guns, and few immigrants (Bullitt county has a reputation for being unfriendly to immigrants and minorities). I hear a lot about people moving to Shelby county too for the exurban experience. Consider southern Indiana too because much of the big three suburban Louisville counties (Floyd, Clark and Harrison) is still rural yet very close to downtown, and have MANY houses for sale with 1/3 acre or more land with it.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
^
For Southern Indiana: Harrison and the back-country parts of Floyd County are great.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
uh, "less muslims" and "less illegals"? sounds like 40's era germany might be the place for you.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Default Going to the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
^
For Southern Indiana: Harrison and the back-country parts of Floyd County are great.
Absolutely. I was surprised at how many houses are for sale in Georgetown, Lanesville and others that are way out in the country but about a 20 minute drive to Louisville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
uh, "less muslims" and "less illegals"? sounds like 40's era germany might be the place for you.
The OP has a right to live how he wants. We live in a big, free country so he should be able to find a place to avoid the people he doesn't like. I don't have to worry about him being my neighbor anyway since my husband is a Muslim immigrant! I prefer people with prejudices to be upfront rather than smile in my face and act P.C., and then have their true beliefs come out in other ways.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM

512 posts, read 1,017,989 times
Quote:
- Less traffic
- Less Muslims

Umm ... you might want to learn english first. Its not Less illegal immigrants, its fewer illegal immigrants. Its not less muslims, its fewer muslims. You are correct in writing less traffic because it can not be counted but if you write less cars that would be wrong. These are the type of grammatical mistakes that indicate that you are not educated.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj View Post
Umm ... you might want to learn english first. Its not Less illegal immigrants, its fewer illegal immigrants. Its not less muslims, its fewer muslims. You are correct in writing less traffic because it can not be counted but if you write less cars that would be wrong. These are the type of grammatical mistakes that indicate that you are not educated.
Is your shift key broken?

OP, you left out
- Less (fewer) grammar Nazi's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area