U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,059,993 times

Advertisements

If it isn't news to you, it is now:

Slideshow: 10 Worst Cities for Spring Allergies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 PM

142 posts, read 661,530 times
Thumbs up The winner is?

Greetings:

More foil as per CNN:

(CNN) -- Things aren't looking good for people with allergies in Tennessee. Not only is the pollen apocalypse on its way, three of the state's major cities made the Asthma and Allergy Foundation's annual list of the 10 worst places for spring allergy sufferers.

These so-called allergy capitals are ranked based on pollen levels, use of allergy medications and the number of board-certified allergists in the areas, according to a foundation statement.

Everyone in the United States can expect their allergies to be worse this year, thanks to an unusually wet winter, the foundation says.

"Severe weather patterns can bring higher temperatures, higher pollen levels and increased exposure to mold, resulting in spring allergies that can peak stronger and last longer," Dr. Bill Berger, a California allergist, said in the statement.

Here are the top 10 worst allergy cities for 2013:

1. Jackson, Mississippi

2. Knoxville, Tennessee

3. Chattanooga, Tennessee

4. McAllen, Texas

5. Louisville, Kentucky

6. Wichita, Kansas

7. Dayton, Ohio

8. Memphis, Tennessee

9. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

10. Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Residents in Springfield, Massachusetts; Buffalo, New York; and Grand Rapids, Michigan, may face more severe cases than they have in years past. These cities all jumped at least 10 spots up on the list from the spring of 2012.

The Asthma and Allergy Foundation also releases a list every year of the worst cities for fall allergy sufferers. The spring allergy capitals are based on tree pollen counts, while the fall cities are ranked on ragweed pollen counts from September through November of the previous years. Many of the cities on the fall list are on the spring list, but there are a few differences.

1. Louisville, Kentucky

2. Wichita, Kansas

3. Knoxville, Tennessee

4. Jackson, Mississippi

5. McAllen, Texas

6. Dayton, Ohio

7. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

8. Memphis, Tennessee

9. Madison, Wisconsin

10. Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Cheers...

Ah...Choo...

Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 AM

5,729 posts, read 9,114,123 times
I noticed this during my visit there a few weeks ago. My allergies were just as bad as they are in Kansas City. Oddly though while passing through St. Louis and even rural Illinois I noted some improvement. But when I got into southern Indiana they worsened. I saw an improvement when I got near Cincinnati.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,402,449 times
this is allergy hell. lol

Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM

Default ***News Flash***

This just in. Decided to try a Detox diet this weekend after reading that so many people have allergy issues directly related to a buildup of toxins in the body from food, environment etc. This problem in turn leads to an enhancement of sinus related allergies to all the stuff we know and love like Dagweed, those Dandy Lions. Golden Rod and Mold among others. After just 24 hours I've noticed a tremendous increase in energy and yes, my sinus condition has abated to a large degree despite the fact I have a terrible time with sneezing and stuffy nose here in the KC area.

I want to see what the longer term effects are going to be over the next month. Not sure if this is going to be very short and temporary (a few days) or if I see a marked improvement over weeks before the serious symptoms return. I suspect I won't be able to completely rid myself of the allergies but if I feel even half as good in a week as I do right now, then I will say that this might be a good solution for people in the Louisville area to look at.

I will pay another quick visit to your city in a couple of weeks to see if I note any change in how my allergies react to the area compared to my last visit at the end of March. I'll try to remember to report my findings upon returning home.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 PM

671 posts, read 1,310,716 times
Be grateful that the biggest worries in your lives consists of battling the 'pollen apocalypse'

Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molukai View Post
Be grateful that the biggest worries in your lives consists of battling the 'pollen apocalypse'
And how would you happen to know that? Believe it or not it is a real issue for people that have serious allergy problems. I once knew a gal that had such bad allergies that she had to take shots every week to diminish the symptom of breathing difficulty.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 AM

54 posts, read 117,470 times
well duh. anyone from Louisville knows this. Funny thing is, I spent my first 40 years living here and never had allergy problems. move to Chicago 3 years ago and now have them. go back home to visit and no problems.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Eating raw honey from the native area where you live can also alleviate allergies. I also tried that recently and it offered some temporary relief from the sneezing, congestion and runny nose. So, people should see if they can find any locally produced honey and give that a try. It won't likely cure the problem but at least offer some relief for a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or