Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 02:07 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
well hello there, almost couldn't see you all the way up there on your high horse.
Drug test the horse ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 04:38 PM

242 posts, read 402,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
....I think(??) you are allowed a retest in a lot of situations, but Im not sure. Employers do it not so much because they like to, but insurance companies have written the laws on it in an effort to get out of paying claims whenever they can.
Actually, many large companies even offer to pay for counseling after the 1st failed test. If you take their offer for this and then fail a subsequent test you are out. It's much cheaper for them in many cases to pay for the counseling that is to find another good another good employee and train them.
Quote:
Union jobs dont allow it randomly, only after workplace accident, so you can puff away to your hearts content and be safe if you are safe.
Not necessarily true, many contracts allow for random testing as well as for employment when being hired. Most places don't allow drug users to hide behind the union like they can for not working to their best ability. Almost everyplace does drug and alcohol testing after an accident.
Quote:
I'm all for stickin' it to da man in most instances, but being honest is a good policy. I feel if you are diplomatic and contrite, you can beg your job back due to the fact you were honest. Good luck.
Not a good attitude to have in today's workplace no matter what the situation. You are certainly correct about honestly being the best policy!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,986 times
Quote:
Drug test the horse ?

this made me laugh, and I'm not even high.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM

174 posts, read 502,970 times
All companies with Federal contracts must keep a drug free workplace. In truth I find the rules about drug testing are as followed.

1. Most small family owned businesses don't DT.

2. Big corporations tend to test a lot more. 90% of jobs involving machinery like manufacturing drug test before employment, 100% involving transportation because they have to by law. White collar jobs usually do pre-hires but a significant minority does not. Most retail does not unless you are hurt on the job, though a significant minority do. Almost nothing in the food industry tests because they wouldn't have any workers left if they did.

3. Last I heard it is something like two thirds of fortune 500 companies drug test, down from a high of 80% in the 90s. It is actually declining. It came into place during the Reagan anti-drug years. I expect it to decline more in the future as pot becomes more accepted. Obviously Kentucky is a southern state so there may be a less relaxed attitude though.

4. Most places do not randomly drug test people after being hired, or unless there is an accident. Due to federal law though any company having a federal contract must drug test randomly. Otherwise it would simply be too costly to shell out that kind of money. There are websites you can search to see if a company has a federal contract. Word of advice if you want to work for a place requiring federal contracting of any kind you might as well quit smoking weed. 90% of jobs out there though you can quit smoking, take the test, and never worry again unless they have reason to suspect something. I don't smoke weed and have never had a job that drug tested either, but I have a lot of friends who do and this is what they told me.

Finally there are a few states that ban random drug testing without suspicion (with exceptions for federal contracts and safety sensitive positions), I know Minnesota, Vermont, Connecticut, and Rhode Island, and Maine are included. No southern state is, unsurprisingly. If you want to smoke weed leave the south because I don't see attitudes there changing anytime soon.

Personally I favor banning drug testing except in the case of safety sensitive positions or reasonable suspicion in the workplace. This is the law in Canada, and it works just fine. We can thank Reagan drug hysteria for having to give up our privacy for a job. Hopefully your senator Rand Paul will move the Republican Party away from this insanity.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,092 times
I have my appeal on Thursday. I feel confident that I will win. I now realized that since I was the first to take the test, that there where others who would have failed the drug test, however they found out before taking that they would be able to retake the test, and they were told by the same person who told me that she did not know how it would be handled. Had I known the same info, all of this would have been avoided.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Let me set something straight, all that info posted aside- in louisville after Derby most places drug test. Because its derby. Doesnt matter how long you work anywhere, you are expendable and you may never get tested at your job if theres no accident until derby rolls around...

Old 08-23-2013, 06:42 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,583 times
Quote:
Drug test the horse ?

lol

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusb187 View Post
Recently denied unemployment for being dishonest. Sent in appeal, no word yet.

Our department was asked to clock out and drive to a lab and submit a drug test. After smoking weed the weekend before on derby, I knew I would fail the test. The lab tech caught me using someone else urine. I went back to work, the following day was termed.

We only had a days notice, and I asked before taking the test if we would be fired for failing, and the manager said that we do not know.
I did not have to take a drug test before hired, no one did. I found out the same day I was fired that we would be able to retake the test if we failed. This sucks because I never tried to get unemployment before.

Kooks like you cooked your own goose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: