Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:02 AM

287 posts, read 768,536 times

Advertisements

My husband would be working at U of L (assuming he gets the job).

I'd like to know if there is much difference in cost, lifestyle, schools, commute, etc.
Are the IN towns considered bedroom communities (extensions) of Louisville? Or are they more distinct? Is there rivalry back and forth across the river?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM

20 posts, read 31,597 times
I was born and raised in Louisville. I always felt that Jeffersonville, Clarksville, and New Albany were extensions of Louisville. But must admit the people living in those communities may not have had that opinion. There is a lot of good nature teasing from the people living in these communities as they consider them to be "the sunny side of Louisville."

Old 09-17-2013, 12:37 PM

164 posts, read 310,311 times
I don't know about Kentucky, but in Indiana, if you have late model vehicle, you might have to pay close to 400 dollars a year for the license plate tags. The newer your vehicle, the higher the tax you'll pay. If you have an old clunker that blows black smoke out the rusted exhaust pipes, you might only pay about 25 dollars a year. In other words, you're taxed for having a nice vehicle. That'a something any potential new resident along the border might want to consider. But in Indiana, they don't do yearly safety inspections either, so that's a plus, especially if you drive an old clunker that blows black smoke out the rusted exhaust pipes or your windshield wipers don't work, or you only have one working headlight. In Indiana, they tend to do things kinda bass ackwards. Well, that's the Hoosiers for ya, though. But like I said, I can't say about Kentucky because I don't know. They may do it the same way since there's really not that much difference between Kentuckians and Hoosiers other than the Ohio River.

Last edited by i35vagabond; 09-17-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 06:55 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
The cost of living is usually cheaper in Clarksville/Jeffersonville. I myself was born and raised in Louisville, now live in Sellersburg which is right down the interstate from all 3 places. I personally feel that Clarksville/Jeffersonville are basically suburbs of Louisville except over the bridge. If I were you'll i'd find a place in Louisville due to the bridge projects which causes major traffic if you cross the Kennedy bridge from IN into KY.

Overall. I like Louisville better anway, more to do, more restaurants, more shopping, etc... However, the west end of Louisville i'd stay away from, and the area of Old Louisville is nothing but college kids. I don't know your budget and family situation or i'd point you to decent places!

Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Thanks for the info. We'd be bringing 3 kids (4th, 5th graders and a high schooler). House budget would depend on the job offer but probably around $250-300 with many variables.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:20 AM

If you're meaning $250-$300,000 then you're great shape to live in some nice areas. The St.Mathews area is nice and close to many schools that are pretty good. Also close to plenty of shopping,places to eat, etc... There's a ton of nice subdivisions along St.Mathews that are pretty nice as well. The Jeffersontown area is decent in some parts too. With that budget you really can pick and choose from about anywhere you want.

Like I said, I'd stay away from the West End and Old Louisville. That budget will get you to a nice place!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
If you're meaning $250-$300,000 then you're great shape to live in some nice areas. The St.Mathews area is nice and close to many schools that are pretty good. Also close to plenty of shopping,places to eat, etc... There's a ton of nice subdivisions along St.Mathews that are pretty nice as well. The Jeffersontown area is decent in some parts too. With that budget you really can pick and choose from about anywhere you want.

Like I said, I'd stay away from the West End and Old Louisville. That budget will get you to a nice place!

Yes that's what I meant. I'm just concerned about the school system in Jefferson county. It sounds so confusing and not good for families where kids could get split up into different schools.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:58 PM

The school systems are kind of stupid in my opinion as well. There are good schools but as you said sometimes it can be troublesome.

Your best bet would be to contact schools and find out beforehand if you'd have to split up. Overall Louisville is a great place, i'd definitely live there instead of Jeffersonville/Clarksville, in my opinion I have noticed Jeffersonville going a little downward unfortunately.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Why are you not considering New Albany if I may ask? The schools are good in that area and you wouldn't be as inconvenienced by the bridge work, although traffic will most likely increase on the 64 bridge. It's a pretty easy commute to UofL from there and your budget should get you a decent house. The Floyds Knobs and Georgetown area is a few miles further out, but the schools are excellent. They are more bedroom communities though whereas New Albany has more of it's own identity as a larger town with independent restaurants and other offerings. Just depends what you're looking for.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Why are you not considering New Albany if I may ask? The schools are good in that area and you wouldn't be as inconvenienced by the bridge work, although traffic will most likely increase on the 64 bridge. It's a pretty easy commute to UofL from there and your budget should get you a decent house. The Floyds Knobs and Georgetown area is a few miles further out, but the schools are excellent. They are more bedroom communities though whereas New Albany has more of it's own identity as a larger town with independent restaurants and other offerings. Just depends what you're looking for.

I just hadn't gotten that far in my search. I was only using Jeffersonville and Clarksville as examples of towns across the river. I'll look into New Albany. Thanks for the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area