Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:08 PM

287 posts, read 768,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why is it a big deal for you to sell people on Oldham? Why should a city feel a need to compete with its suburbs? The answer is, it shouldn't! The difference is, regular people like myself do not profit from the marked up real estate in "safe bedroom" communities across the US. This is not just you, but this "suburban" exodus has been a problem since the racial tension in the 1950s across the USA! Are some of the homes in Oldham worth 150/sq foot when the same home can be had in Jefferson for 100? Absolutely not, and neither is the wasted gas, urban sprawl, green house gas emissions, etc. If people could learn to live harmoniously, places like Oldham wouldnt even need to exist. There is plenty of room in Louisville's core county to support its entire metro wide population.

To the OP, I would say if living near Mormons is important to you, then Crestwood is actually a good spot because of the nearby Church. However, I would come in with an open mind and check out city neighborhoods too.

Maybe people just like living out where they have open space around them and can actually see a horizon. I don't really think it has as much to do with not getting along with or thinking they are any better than city people. It's a lifestyle choice. There is something fascinating to me about the idea of living in a walkable urban community. I've only done it when I lived out of the country for short periods of time. But I think ultimately I'd long for the open space again. Just my preference. Most of the homes further out are newer. Newer usually means more expensive.

I honestly don't know if we could afford to live that far out. My husband doesn't have an offer yet and doesn't even know what the salary would be for this job. If they offered close to what he's making now we could probably do it. If it's much lower, probably not and we would possibly even reject the offer.

There are congregations of my church that cover the whole of Louisville and Southern IN, too. I'd not ever be without a congregation to go to. There are other church buildings closer in to the U of L where my husband would work. There is one on Eastern Parkway and one on Hurstbourne Parkway as well as a couple on the south west side of Louisville. It's just that I'm trying to get the right combination of schools, lifestyle that feels "right" for us and close enough to the church building ( since we spend lots of time there) so that I'm not commuting so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Why is it a big deal for you to sell people on Oldham? Why should a city feel a need to compete with its suburbs? The answer is, it shouldn't! The difference is, regular people like myself do not profit from the marked up real estate in "safe bedroom" communities across the US. This is not just you, but this "suburban" exodus has been a problem since the racial tension in the 1950s across the USA! Are some of the homes in Oldham worth 150/sq foot when the same home can be had in Jefferson for 100? Absolutely not, and neither is the wasted gas, urban sprawl, green house gas emissions, etc. If people could learn to live harmoniously, places like Oldham wouldnt even need to exist. There is plenty of room in Louisville's core county to support its entire metro wide population.

To the OP, I would say if living near Mormons is important to you, then Crestwood is actually a good spot because of the nearby Church. However, I would come in with an open mind and check out city neighborhoods too.
I don't sell just Oldham County. How many ways and times must I say that to you! As a real estate broker (defined as bringing buyers and sellers together), I help buyers and sellers with properties all throughout Kentucky and S. Indiana. When people post questions on this forum or any other site, I try to answer their questions as best I can. It makes no difference to me where someone buys, but it can make all the difference to them.

Peter, you obviously have a hatred or other reason that you wish to argue with me about these issues. So much so that you have often threatened to expulse me from this forum. That is certain your privilege as moderator, but I stand with my integrity and when I am wrong, I admit it. I certainly try to never be wrong, and use the facts available to share information and opinions with people who don't know Louisville.

Yes, Dupont Manual, Ballard, Eastern, and Male are very good schools of JCPS, but the facts are there are far more failing schools in Jefferson County than exceptional. I propose that you should try to move to Louisville, as I have done, with a middle school aged child and try to get them in a traditional middle school.

If Jefferson County becomes a better school district, especially for people moving into the area than Oldham, Bullitt, Shelby, Clark, or Floyd Counties, I will be the first to jump up and wave the JCPS flag.

I own and operate three real estate offices, one which is in Oldham County and two in Louisville Metro. Now how crazy must I be to want to sell Oldham County while intentionally discounting Jefferson? My fight is to improve JCPS.

Regarding your $150.00 to $100.00 per square foot post. That is absurdly wrong. My agents sell homes all over Oldham County for less than similar Metro area homes.

Btw: To answer your question of why a city should have to compete with its suburbs, I suggest that before you ask that of Louisville, you should first ask the goverments of Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, and yes, even Toronto and Ottawa why people want out of their jurisdictions. Maybe if the Louisville people would ask your question, they might understand, few people with children want their children to attend failing schools.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 PM

27 posts, read 33,636 times
Oh, Commenters.......Raise Your Hands if You've Ever Had Kids in JCPS........My Hand is UP......Regretfully.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorganj View Post
Oh, Commenters.......Raise Your Hands if You've Ever Had Kids in JCPS........My Hand is UP......Regretfully.
Mine is way UP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area