U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Louisville next Summer (2014). We will both be attending the dental programs at the University of Louisville. We obviously have a bit before we move, but we wanted to get a head start on looking so we have a better idea of the area/neighborhood we want to be in. Ideally, we would like to find a smaller home to buy. We are looking for something with 2-3 bedrooms, a backyard (it doesn't have to be huge) for our dog, a nice/safe neighborhood. Any help/recommendations on an area that might be good for us would be very much appreciated! We don't know anything about the city at all.. so any help is awesome

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 0-$100,000

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: We want to be close to the campus. As close as walking distance - as far as a 15 minute drive.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? We aren't planning on having kids for a few years so schools don't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briaunahaycock View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Louisville next Summer (2014). We will both be attending the dental programs at the University of Louisville. We obviously have a bit before we move, but we wanted to get a head start on looking so we have a better idea of the area/neighborhood we want to be in. Ideally, we would like to find a smaller home to buy. We are looking for something with 2-3 bedrooms, a backyard (it doesn't have to be huge) for our dog, a nice/safe neighborhood. Any help/recommendations on an area that might be good for us would be very much appreciated! We don't know anything about the city at all.. so any help is awesome

-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 0-$100,000

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate: We want to be close to the campus. As close as walking distance - as far as a 15 minute drive.

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? We aren't planning on having kids for a few years so schools don't matter.
You could consider living downtown, or in Nulu, within walking distance of campus.

Also Highlands, Clifton, Germantown, Crescent Hill, And St Matthews. Louisville is a stellar city and an growing place with good food.

New2Lou

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM

242 posts, read 307,938 times
Since quality-of-life issues are a big concern for you, which they are for many people I think the best place you to look would be in the St. Matthews area. It's a little farther away from the campus than some other areas but still well within the distance you would consider. It's got many very nice smaller well-maintained older homes many which can be bought for a reasonable price. The other areas have larger homes as a rule and unless you are buying one that you plan on fixing up the prices can be quite high.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Dental school is at the campus just east of downtown. The nearest nice areas would be the Highlands (along Baxter Ave / Bardstown Rd) and Clifton / Clifton Heights (along Frankfort Ave and Brownsboro rd). Eastern Pky area is also nice. You can find smaller homes in those areas for $100,000. Further out on the east end 100k and under is not that common. There are a few older homes around me in Lyndon with 2 br at 100k.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:09 AM

145 posts, read 210,846 times
I would rent before moving here...you can get a cheap rental with a short term lease while you house hunt! Check out 40204, you can find a house in your price range

Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Many years ago like in the 1970-80s, the dental school provided housing for the students (maybe families too). I don't know if the buildings are still there, but don't they provide housing for students (families) like they do on the main UL campus~?

Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Many years ago like in the 1970-80s, the dental school provided housing for the students (maybe families too). I don't know if the buildings are still there, but don't they provide housing for students (families) like they do on the main UL campus~?
Yes. And they have several new buildings for that. Many of them are part of Bill Weyland's the Edge At Liberty Green development.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Yes. And they have several new buildings for that. Many of them are part of Bill Weyland's the Edge At Liberty Green development.

I definitely would not choose to live at Liberty Green. It has changed down there, but there are many issues people don't know about that exists down there. Well not there (maybe) but the surrounding area.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I definitely would not choose to live at Liberty Green. It has changed down there, but there are many issues people don't know about that exists down there. Well not there (maybe) but the surrounding area.
I doubt you have been down there lately. There is not a single project in that area. Not only has Clarksdale been gone awhile, but most importantly, Shepherd Square, south of Broadway near the hospitals, is gone. Besides Wayside, Dosker Manor, and the St Paul Soup kitchen, there is barely any low income housing left. Sure, this isnt exactly a middle class area, but it is plenty safe for any student, especially a savvy student with some city smarts. Violent crime against any normal citizen in that area is unheard of since the 1990s.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I doubt you have been down there lately. There is not a single project in that area. Not only has Clarksdale been gone awhile, but most importantly, Shepherd Square, south of Broadway near the hospitals, is gone. Besides Wayside, Dosker Manor, and the St Paul Soup kitchen, there is barely any low income housing left. Sure, this isnt exactly a middle class area, but it is plenty safe for any student, especially a savvy student with some city smarts. Violent crime against any normal citizen in that area is unheard of since the 1990s.
Your wrong, and I have been down there lately. From what I know and my experiences, it is not safe and I can't say what I know on the internet. Just beware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area