Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:52 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Lexington and have always pronounced Louisville as "Lou-uh-vul" and always thought that's the correct local pronunciation.

But why do Louisville TV anchors and radio stations pronounce it as "Lou-ee-ville"? It sounds disturbingly weird, like an occupation regime mispronouncing local names. But then local ads come up, and they pronounce it as I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 04:55 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
You are hearing the instructions, which have become traditional, from Barry Bingham, Sr. Mr. Bingham and his family were the owners and publishers of the Courier-Journal and the Louisville Times, which in turn started WHAS-Radio and WHAS-TV as well as other media products of the 20th Century. Mr. Bingham was a strict-detail person. The true French pronunciation is Lou-ee-ville. The town is named after Louis (Lou-ee) XVI (16th) and therefore, Mr. Bingham in his style demanded that when WHAS-Radio signed on and thereafter, the announcers would say "Lou-ee-vil"

Old 12-21-2013, 03:03 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The most common pronunciation seems to be "Lou iv uhl" it's like the s becomes silent and the v takes its place

Since Kentucky has a lot of crazy place pronunciations it's only appropriate that the largest city does too. You have Yosemite (Yo see might), Versailles (ver sails), Owenton (Oint in), etc.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:57 AM

724 posts, read 592,967 times
I always grew up saying LOUIE-VILLE. Many people say loo-evuhl. I find that the differences arise mainly from socio-econmical factors. My mom, the native between my parents, has a masters in linguistics and came from an upper-middle class family. She used the french pronunciation, which is what you will here on TV and radio. Neither is wrong, it just depends on what household you grew up in or what neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:01 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
'Lou-e-ville" Sometimes I think I am the only person in this area who pronounces it that way. May be because I was born and raised in Ohio where all my relatives also pronounce it that way.

Louisa is another town with different pronounciations. For myself it has always been" Lou-ee-sah" Some here call it "le-wee-zee"

Old 01-09-2014, 03:53 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
I think its hilarious that there are a lot of cities here that have the same name as cities in Vermont, but they are pronounced so differently. One example would be Versailles. Here, its "Ver sales", in VT, its "Ver sigh"

Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Back in the early 70s, on a family camping trip to Floriday, we were on a bus tour of Cape Canaveral. During one of the longer drives between sites, the driver would ask who was from each state. When we let out a yell for Kentucky, he asked "How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky? Is it Lewisville or Louie ville? My brother's friend got the whole bus laughing when he said "Frankfort!" lol

Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Back in the early 70s, on a family camping trip to Floriday, we were on a bus tour of Cape Canaveral. During one of the longer drives between sites, the driver would ask who was from each state. When we let out a yell for Kentucky, he asked "How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky? Is it Lewisville or Louie ville? My brother's friend got the whole bus laughing when he said "Frankfort!" lol

My father used to "catch" non-Kentuckians with this one, way back in the 'fifties.

Actually, wouldn't the French pronunciation of "Louisville" be more like "Louie-veel", with the concluding L half-swallowed into an almost "via"? Deauville, Lexington's sister city, shares this concluding syllable, and is pronounced accordingly.

That's the way my French teachers in high school and college would have taught it, if I remember correctly.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I think its hilarious that there are a lot of cities here that have the same name as cities in Vermont, but they are pronounced so differently. One example would be Versailles. Here, its "Ver sales", in VT, its "Ver sigh"
I get caught out on that one so often I now go out of my way to avoid using the name "Versailles" in any conversation. I get tired of feeling so damned awkward when they stand there frowning and trying to figure out where the hell "Versie" is.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Dont say that in Louisville, CO. They call it LOUIS-ville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area